mm128

Living Room - Finishing Touches

M M
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking to get some advice on how I can finish off my living room. It’s a traditional Victorian flat/apartment so I’ve tried to keep it traditional without being too old fashioned. There’s not much of a colour scheme other than neutral colours. I think it’s looking close to how I would like it but just missing a few finishing touches:

the dining area is a little sparse. I’m not sure what to have on the centre of the table. I’m not really keen on fresh flowers and I don’t want something that gets in the way when the table is being used. I’m also thinking a rug would be nice under the table to separate the area from the seating but it’s an awkward shaped space so now sure what style or colour of rug to choose?

I have left the wood panels around the bay windows but the other wood work in the room is painted white. Does it work? Or would it be better painted white too?

The fireplace and surround are a little bland at the moment. I’m not massively sure about the mirror I currently have but as there’s no fire installed at the moment I think the hearth and surround should have some extra bits and bobs?

Theres a big bare wall behind the sofa and I have absolutely no idea what to put there. I Guess some large art or prints would work.

The only lighting in the room is the ceiling light. I’d like to add more but I’m not sure where to place floor lamps, especially when the sofa is floating away from the wall. I thought about an arched floor lamp for over the dining table to provide some light there

Those are the things I can think of but I’m sure there’s more ways to improve the room. Open to any suggestions. :)

Comments (35)

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Your pictures haven't posted. You have to wait for them to go 'bold', then press submit.

M M thanked Maths Wife
  • PRO
    Tiziana Meciani Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hi, what a lovely room! Here’s my advice: I would add an arch lamp to the dining area, like Twiggy, for example, in crimson. This will frame the dining table, pick the colour of the stained windows and add a vertical element to the composition. Then I would accessorise the table with either a large ceramic bowl or apothecary bottles in earthy tones. White window shutters would make the composition brighter and more elegant in my opinion , so although the current colour is nice, I would paint them white. I would then add a rug, maybe in green, to go with the foliage around. I would also replace the chandelier with something wider like Vertigo by Petite Friture. It will look amazing! Finally I would add artwork to the wall behind the sofa, maybe two square, large format photographs either b/w or with a fairly minimal palette. Pictures of Vertigo and a bay window with white panelling and green rug below.

M M thanked Tiziana Meciani Interior Design
  • Related Discussions

Finishing touches for our new living room

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi there, I'm wondering how you're getting on?!! How about a Bali pod by the sofa arm with the throw on? You could have a bespoke piece to add interest and colour ....and also allow you to sit comfortably in the sofa with a drink close by (rather than having to reach to the coffee table every time you want a sip!). This is the sort of thing I'm thinking.....our pods come in 7 shapes, 5 core fabrics and loads of colours ...or you can use your own fabric, so you can make quite a personalised statement!! I've attached a link to an example of a swatch which would go with your scheme...Good luck with all your plans! http://mellowduck.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/SandringhamCamel600x600-138x138.jpg
    ...See More

Finishing touches-dining room

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi. Your blinds look nice if you're after a glam look and I'm not sure curtains will hang properly with the radiator? I like this collection of bronze and silver mirrors from Notre monde to introduce a slightly darker accent on the wall. I can't make out what's next to the window but I think a cocktail table accessorised with some vintage and modern decanters and glasses would look fantastic. I'd add a rug under the table, something similar in tone to the floor perhaps with a slight pattern. It looks as if a rectangular rug may work better for the room. Faux flowers on top of the table, I like Oka but make sure to add some green foliage to the display too. Would be good to see other pics of the room to see what space there is though
    ...See More

living room finishing touches

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi - I would suggest you add a rug in the centre something to draw the eye into the centre of the room and add a somewhat focal point. The other thing you can do is to add a large picture on top of the fireplace to again draw the focal point to the centre. On the floor lamp - I agree to replace within something in keeping with your current style and sticking to the wood texture. I would also add some plants even if they are faux, it will add a bit more life and style to the room. I've picked up the accent colour from your cushions and used that to pick a similar coloured rug just to give you an idea: https://www.habitat.co.uk/grid-medium-grey-and-yellow-geometric-wool-rug-140-x-200cm-220229 comes in different colours as well https://www.habitat.co.uk/tripod-ash-wooden-tripod-floor-lamp-with-white-shade-252742
    ...See More

Final touches of living room

Q

Comments (9)
    I’m not sure if the sofa will fit there but you could try it? The room is looking nice. i also like the idea of a footstool particularly if you have kids so no bumped heads. I went for light linen cushions (they have a nice gold fringe but it doesn’t show very clearly here!) to lighten the sofa up and Linen will work nicely with the wood and stone . Art was for over the chair with the wood frame and table lamp next to the chair 😊 I think it could do with some plants or flowers. I’ve bought preserved eucalyptus before but quite recently discovered preserved flowers which last up to a year
    ...See More
  • Mary Mary
    4 years ago

Are you really sure you need advice ? It looks gorgeous just do what you are doing.

M M thanked Mary Mary
  • PRO
    Matchbox Interiors
    4 years ago

Firstly, what a lovely room!

I've tried to address each point for you below :)

Dining table - it would be really nice to have about three tea light holders on the table which will add a bit of interest when you're not using it but also won't get in the way when you use the table! I love this from H&M and think it could work well with what you've got in the room already (it also comes in black if you prefer that). A long rectangular table runner would also be a nice touch and is practical too. https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0421133001.html

Keeping the wood panels natural is lovely and I would keep it as is. I'm also not sure about a rug as you're completely right, it's potentially a tricky space to fill. However a jute rug would work nicely if you did! https://www.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350150411.aspx?dim1=1&dim2=1&mkwid=sxENIdiZm_dc%7Cpcrid%7C305264023672%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cslid%7C%7Cpgrid%7C62296983738%7Cptaid%7Caud-309169168955:pla-670325820187&omniturecode=Google-Shopping-PPC%2AShopping_Home_%26_Furniture_Returning%20%3E%20Rugs_Med%7EHOME%20%26%20FURNITURE%20%3E%20Rugs&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrpLoBRD_ARIsAJd0BIXW9BC31f6waM2Q3y72KmPABTulABYvwRxrti2KDZ4nTukBDy2qddIaAkpkEALw_wcB

Completely agree with you about the fireplace, though I do love the mirror. It's beautiful. I have a very similar fireplace and have surrounded it with a few plants, large candles (like you have) and also glass vases. IKEA have some lovely ones:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/vases-bowls/pepparkorn-vase-grey-art-00392654/

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/summer/summer-flowers-vases-pots/sommar-2019-vase-set-of-3-blue-art-10429529/

I lined the mantlepiece with a combination of smaller plants (succulents, aloe vera), chrome photo frames and smaller candles. If you have a look at my previous work on my profile you'll be able to get a better idea.

Your large wall... I'd think about a larger piece or art or a gallery wall. Art is a really tricky thing to get right so I would probably leave this until last to sort. Some good websites for Inso include Fy and Desenrio.

It does look like lighting could be a tricky thing here! Is there a plug near your shelves? A nice option could be a for a smaller table lamp to go on one of the lower shelves. Would be great if you could give me an idea of where your plugs are - then I can have a proper think :)

Also, great IKEA armchair - I have the same one.

Hope that helps! Phoebe x

M M thanked Matchbox Interiors
  • Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

It's a gorgeous room, it isn't lacking in anything. The only thing that I would suggest is introducing a bit of colour, perhaps a bit of teal, it would work with the wood. I think the mirror looks a little small for the scale of the fire, something much larger may improve it. I would also add more artwork. There is an amazing gallery in Eastbourne called Emma Mason prints which sells original prints from collectable 20th Century printmakers, I could see some of them working in your place.

http://www.emmamason.co.uk/artists

M M thanked Juliet Docherty
  • M M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great replies so far.

@Tiziana thank you. Those lighting suggestions are great! A little out of my price range but I will try find something similar. A ceramic bowl is a nice idea for the table. I might try that. :)

@MatchboxInteriors wow thanks for the super detailed response! Those little light holders would probably be ideal! Thanks! They definitely fit with all the brass/gold going on.

yeah I think I’ll keep the mirror. It was a bargain so can’t complain about it :) Thanks for the links! Yeah I think those should brighten up the fireplace. they're colourful too. There’s not much colour going on in the room at the moment so maybe some coloured vsses would work well. Because there’s not A working fire at the moment I don’t want it to become a black void.

Ive been avoiding the art haha. It’s just too hard to chose but leaving it until last makes sense!

so I have sockets behind the shelves/large plant. So I could put a lamp on the shelves. That never occurred to me! Or a floor lamp where the plant is. There’s sockets behind the TV unit and some behind the Double Bass on the opposite wall.

@colourhappy thanks! :) Yeah I think you’re right. I’ve used all neutral colours so far and brass for the metallics but it could do with some pops of colour to keep it interesting.

• PRO
    Matchbox Interiors
    4 years ago

Glad I could help! My fireplace is the same, it doesn't work so I play around with it quite a bit. I had a spider plant in the hearth at one point.

Good shout on the floor lamp where the plant is - it's always nice to brighten up the corners of the room. You could also possibly have a low lamp on the floor by the fireplace if there's a socket by the TV!

• E D
    4 years ago

And please don't loose the bass!

Do you play?

I can't see the strings in the photo...

• KK1000
    4 years ago

I love your place, you have a bit mid century feel there, specially in the dining room and what you are missing is a large pendant light above the dining table . I would get a large round mirror with simple black frame for above the fireplace and use the gold one elsewhere maybe bedroom.

M M thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    4 years ago

I just checked your artworks again and I think you could move large artwork that’s next to the fireplace to wall behind the sofa and use the framed items from the bookshelf and maybe some others you have around the house and organise them all together to create a gallery wall. You don’t really need it next to the fireplace the plant will grow (Hopefully ) and it would fill the space.

• Leslie Tamani
    4 years ago

Go local for your art, there are some fantastic plein air painters in UK - contemporary piece will have interest and be talking point for years to come

• KK1000
    4 years ago

PS TV unit is a bit low you could add some mid century style cabinet legs to make it few inches taller, it’s easy and it would give your furniture new look and it’s reversible.

M M thanked KK1000
  • Huw Buckley
    4 years ago

I think some of your photos printed on to large canvases to make it more personal to you?

• PRO
    Nassar
    4 years ago

Hey M M
    Wow love the vibe you have already created. That Eames chair looks so inviting :)
    Are you into music?
    What would look great in the Bay Area are perhaps a pair of Kef Reference 1’s (even 3’s or 5’s) in Rosewood gloss finish on stands.
    You can always match some great equipment to really complement the KEFs and I think a combo of a Mcintosh MA7200, Cambridge CXN v2 network streamer and add a Mcintosh turntable if your into vinyl to complete the setup. The Mcintosh hardware will probably last you a life time.
    For the table a single Tom Dixon melt pendant copper light will look amazing and really set the mood.
    Good luck and keep the thread updated with the changes you make.

https://www.tomdixon.net/catalog/product/view/id/253/s/melt-pendant-copper-mes01co-peum1/

https://uk.kef.com/products/reference-1-bookshelf-speaker

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/cx/cxn-v2

M M thanked Nassar
  • M M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks!

@KK1000Those lights look great! I'm not really keen to install another ceiling light just incase I decide to re-arrange the room later and move the dining table to another space. I wonder if they'd work in place of the current ceiling light?

For above the dining table I'm thinking something like this might be easiest

I could place it inline with one of the window beams so it wouldn't be in the way too much. Haven't decided on a style/colour yet but think it could work.

Great idea to add hair pin legs to the TV unit! Thanks :)

@NASA thanks! I do like music but I'd never get the use out of such awesome speakers living in an apartment sadly. That pendant light is so cool!

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Lovely room. I can't offer any more than previous commenters on design. On lighting, my life (OK living room) has been transformed by plugging all my different lamps into the wall via remote control plugs. All lamps left in 'on' position, little remote on coffee table. So when I slump on the sofa in the evening I can switch em all on at once. I've got a lava lamp on my bookshelf, a little uplighter floor lamp under my plants, a silver half moon standard lamp on a curved stem and a traditional standard lamp on a console. There's no way I'd bother walking round and switching them all on individually.

Oh I nearly forgot the twinkling fairy lights in my bar/record player area!

M M thanked Sam Potter
  • J C
    4 years ago

Beautiful room and already well curated! For me a gallery wall of a mix of personal photos, and intersting prints in various sizes would look great! Cowhide rug for underneath the dining room?.... just a thought but great shape and hardwearing too.

• KK1000
    4 years ago

@MM, love the brass floor lamp if you’re changing the ceiling light match the colours with the floor lamp. Post your changes :)

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Gorgeous room - looks great - I can’t really offer much advice but looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

@Sam - is that purely remote controlled as opposed to Alexa activated?? That sounds great I’m gonna have to look into that!

M M thanked Gabby Wong
  • Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Hi Gabby, yep a pack of three plugs and one remote costs £15 at Wilkos. I plugged an extension cord with a further 4 sockets into a couple of the plugs, so I can switch on multiple lights on one side of the room from one button.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Great room as is but if it were mine I’d probably go dark with the paint as you have great light, that aside, most of what I was going to suggest has been mentioned.

A rug below the dining table and chairs as it does look a bit empty, possibly a nice cow hide, a nice low hung pendant light for there as well, a gallery behind the brown sofa and possibly a few prints on the wall behind the eams, corner with the shelf is great, id also paint the radiators the same colour as the wall or is possible replace with a couple of princess cast iron ones.

Oh and the suggestion of the hair pin legs to lift the tv unit a bit is a great call.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Ohh....forgot to mention if your looking a really nice floor lamp in the style above look at the foscarini twiggy floor lamp, I warn you not cheap but I’ve seen on and its stunning and very well made!

I’ve 4 foscarini lights and although expensive the quality is unreal :-)

• M M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks again!

I think a gallery wall seems to be the consensus for art. I was originally going to try three big pieces but they're hard to find, pricey and the ceilings are so high I think they will end up looking too small.

A cowhide rug under the dining table might work too! It wouldn't be my first instinct but it could look great, Dark or light?

Those lights are awesome but a little out of my lighting budget haha. I actually did consider dark blue walls originally when I was painting but chickened out. (I went with dark blue in the bathroom instead)

There's been some helpful suggestions on placing a few bits and pieces like vases to add more interest. Probably on the dining table, fireplace, shelves and maybe a throw or cushions. I guess this should be an accent colour? At the moment the colour scheme for the room is pretty neutral (greys, brown, ivory, white etc.) what sort of colour do you think would work? Or should I stick with the colours already in the room?

Thanks

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

If I was going cow hide I’d go brown and white, as far as accessories, just get what you like, don’t get stuff others like, it’s your house, tbh some people get lost looking for the perfect look and the perfect room when sometimes it right just the way it is!

My suggestions are just some things that I think are missing, as far as the type of art, accessories, plants an vases just go with what you like and you’ll never go wrong, I can see you have a great eye, keep doing what your doing.

• petersmummy
    4 years ago

Such a gorgeous room , beautiful window & lovely view. I love your style. if i were living there i’djust add a rug under the dining furniture so it doesnt look so lost kind of thing, cowhide sounds perfect. & put something you love on your table (i bought brass crocodile eating candles candle holders & added hot pink tall candlesticks for my table) . Behind the sofa id choose a large piece of art, a huge art hanger, or even put a rug up there ( i hung a lucy tiffney throw behind my bed & adore it) . :)

M M thanked petersmummy
  • E D
    4 years ago

That intrigues me, what are crocodile eating candles, petersmummy?

• petersmummy
    4 years ago

ED it’s these little critters :)

• E D
    4 years ago

Ah, they’re cool.

• Resh
    4 years ago

I'm going to disagree with a few on here, in that I think some changes could be made to the bay window end of the (very lovely) room. There's too much wood there, and all of different types, clashing.

- Harder, permanent option: Paint the window frames and shutters, and paint the dining table, leaving the stripped floorboards to provide the wood element there.

- easy option: paint the table an accent colour

- middle option: paint the floor a light neutral (just in the dining area, to zone the room), and paint the table a different accent colour to stand out against the wood panelling/windows and the light floor.

My personal route would be the first option, turning that bay window with its frames and shutters into a painted feature of the room, complementing the fireplace and skirting elsewhere, (doean't have to be the same colour as those items, but could be - personally I'd be braver, depending on the time and quality of the light in the room) and counterpointing with a differently coloured table and chairs.

M M thanked Resh
  • Resh
    4 years ago

I think that I probably like colour more than you do, from the difference in our living rooms, so I am not suggesting that you do the below. But these are from our house, and an example of how painted period features can look, and a coloured bay window can frame furniture

#TheLondonHomeDesignAwards · More Info

:

#TheLondonHomeDesignAwards · More Info

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

I know where you are coming from Resh but I wouldn't paint that mid century table. Maybe putting a cream or pale (gabbeh) rug underneath it would break up the wood overload?

M M thanked Juliet Docherty
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

I remember your room, I love how it's turned out!

i can't photoshop but have added in your arc lamp which I really like. Is there space for a round rug under the table, ideally it would be big enough when the chairs are pulled out? I like the gabbeh suggestion or if not Beano's small, quite muted cowhide should work if it fits as rug rules don't apply! You could just add a decanter and a couple of glasses on the table, it doesn't feel in the way then :) I might also pull the chairs out an inch or so.

If the ceiling light is staying, I'm not sure what you think of a Serage Mouille replica behind the sofa from Swivel which would complement the ceiling one. They are plugs in though but obviously you can move the light when needed over the sofa. I've tried finding a couple of pics of actual ones next to art (not sure the Swivel ones are quite as long btw). i've tried expanding your photos to see your art and failing but i would take a look at Rockett St George, I think there will be a few pieces you like.

The mirror is lovely but I would "widen it" with accessories, maybe 3 mid century vases on the right?

M M thanked minnie101
  • Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Great suggestions Minnie, love those wall lights! have to also agree with resh’s idea of painting the window and shutters as I also think it clashes/ feels a bit overload with the floor,

The arch lamp looks great and like the idea of the mid century vases, dont get a bigger mirror.

M M thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • M M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Catching up on this thread! Thanks for all the replies. Always really good advice.

@petersmummy thanks! Yeah I'm maybe overthinking what to put on the table haha. Feels like the consensus is to put a rug under the table.

@Resh Thanks! Different opinions are always welcome :) I think you are probably right. It is wood overload. I've went back and forth a few times on painting the windows and panels. I think I ultimately will paint it white to brighten the room, freshen the finish and match the skirting and door. It's just difficult to bring myself to paint over it. Complementing with a different colour could be tricky I think. I'm not so keen on painting the floor or the table. The floor is the same in all the other rooms so I think that keeps things cohesive. The top of the table needs refinished so I could choose a different wood stain. Your home looks amazing!! It's great! I do actually like colour I'm just not sure how to use it haha.

@minnie101 wow that was a while ago! But I got some great advice from you and others that I eventually got round to doing. Thanks for your help! :) I remember how it looked when I first went to view the place. I think its going in the right direction thanks to the help from you guys! (attached some photos)

Thanks for the photoshop pictures! They are really helpful to see how it might look.

Yeah I think there probably is room for a circular or oval rug.

The ceiling light I will likely replace with one of the suggestions above - a brass mobile/sputnik style chandelier. Those wall lamps are pretty awesome! They look great. Would have to be fitted fairly high so people can still use the space behind the sofa to walk to the dining area.

I don't have much in the way of art so far. I have a print of this on the left hand side of the fireplace. Even though it is a fair size it looks a little small on the wall to me next to the surround and large mirror. I'll check that site out thanks. Vases look awesome! I'll give that a go.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.