brooksdeb2

Help! Should I paint my built-ins and mantle or keep the stain?

brooksdeb2
4 years ago

I have repainted my house to lighten things up but am getting conflicting ideas about what to do in my living room with my built in cabinetry and mantle. Keep it the wood stain or paint it white? Also I have a wood burning fireplace insert that has a rather large black surround that I don't like. Should I paint that also?

My house is open so I am attaching pictures that shows the flow from my living room and kitchen. The kitchen cabinets are the same cherry and the living room.

I have done what I know to do to lighten the living room up - glass shelves with lighting, but it still is not working. Should I commit to painting these cherry cabinets? What to do about the fireplace surround?

I am not good at visualizing how things will look and know that if I paint them, there is no going back without a lot of expense.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Comments (34)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.