h_j_clarke

Self build living space design help

Hilary
4 years ago

We are self building a family home (3 kids, 2 dogs) but I'm really stuck for how best to design our kitchen/dining/living room. The designs we have from our architect don't really cover the kitchen properly - he always said he wasn't a kitchen designer so he's designed the space for us to plan. However I'm in such a dilemma - I keep going forward and back with different ideas and feel like I've lost what we actually want!

Attached is the architect plan, we are building an upside down house - bedrooms downstairs, living rooms upstairs because we get great views out of the upstairs windows. It has a vaulted ceiling and very large windows. My uncertainty is about the larder area as well as the utility room and the effect they have on the rest of the space. We have already decided not to have the small stairs coming up into the utility room (should be renamed as plant room) which means we can shorten that room as we're not losing the floor space. I like the idea of a larder space, but not what this arrangement does to the over space in the room. It was only after I drew it in sketch up that I realised it makes the room feel narrow and loses cuts off the spacious roof. I don't like the fridge being there as it blocks the door to outside and I think will be annoying with kids coming through while cooking etc.

So my question is does anybody have any suggestions to how to make this area 'work' a bit better. I'm really open to getting rid of that larder altogether and just having the space opened up with, but feel like I'm going in circles with what would work - it's hard to visualise without standing in the space!

The external things - walls, windows, doors etc are already fixed, but internal things can change.

I'd like to have an island prefereably with seating for the kids, a big fridge freezer, wide induction hob, oven, dishwasher if possible not having wall cupboards would be nice, but could be persuaded,

I'm not sure what order the pictures will show so the one with the green background is my latest idea but I haven't fully resolved details like the hob and oven location.

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!

Thanks very much

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.