rich_jones62

Kitchen/Diner & Groundfloor Plan Dilemma

Rich Jones
4 years ago

Since we moved into our house, we've always said that we would knock through from the kitchen into the dining room and create an open plan living environment.

As part of the project, we would also do a small extension to give a bit more living area and move some doors to improve flow.

We've got a point where we have two designs and we cannot figure out which way to go:

Option 1 - Knock through kitchen diner, pinching some space from the garage to create more a bigger kitchen, with a 3x2.5m extension in the dining area.

Option 2 - Maintain the dining room in it's original form as a family room/study. Then pinch around 1m from the garage and do a 6mx3m extension to create the kitchen/diner/living room.

Some of the main sticking points that we have with either option is the outside appearance. Option 1 may look like a small/pokey extension in the middle of the house. Option 2 may feel cramped, with only 3m from the external wall to the boundary.

This is the current floorplan:

Please help!

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.