lainey_hope

Natural garden tiles, do they need sealing?

lainey_hope
17 July, 2019

Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning my courtyard garden and am looking for some advice. We'll be removing crazy paving and hopefully replacing it with these tiles – https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod45592/elias-15-handcrafted-rojo-tile.html

I'd envisaged them laid on a base of gravel or sand (see beautiful garden below courtesy of grdndesign.co.uk). These tiles say they need to be grouted and sealed etc.

Can anyone advise if these could be laid directly onto gravel/sand without adhesive/grout etc. And if so, would we still need to treat them? What would happen if we didn't? (We'd like a natural finish, not a 'polished' one, but we still want it to last.)

Many thanks :-)

• Sonia

Are you sure they are for outdoor use? There are brick pavers that are frost hardy and are especially for outdoor use. Block pavers, often made of concrete, can be laid on sand but it is a skilled job. Gravel moves so I doubt you can lay anything on it. If you want that warm terracotta look then search for outdoor paviers. Never use house bricks as they will soon crumble and fall apart.
    I’ve used these ones in my garden in certain areas. Not cheap (I paid £1 per brick) but will last a lifetime.

lainey_hope thanked Sonia
  • lainey_hope

Thanks forzaitalia, they do say that they're suitable for outdoor use. Yours are beautiful, exactly what we're after. Will investigate more!

• Sonia

Forgot to tell you what they are called! They are clay pavers by Global Stone Paving and the colour is Rose Cottage. You can order direct from them, or they do supply a lot of garden paving sellers. If you have anyone near you selling natural stone they may well supply them. I always like to see stuff like that for real, as pictures can be deceiving! And they don’t need sealing. There is a company in Beds who have them if you are anywhere near there. Good luck.

lainey_hope thanked Sonia
  • rinq

Please beam that 'crazy paving' into my front yard! I love it!

• rachelmidlands

Just looked and those tiles are made from terracotta which is more porous so would need sealing for outdoor use. Another alternative is quarry tiles although they are hard to source and most likely more expensive. I’d go for the clay/brick pavers like Forza suggested:)

• nmlondon

Hello Forzaitalia, was yours installed professionally or you did-it-yourself? I noticed on the site they provide the installation instructions but we are the complete diy novices.
    Your pavement is absolutely gorgeous.
    This kind of clay pavers always reminds me of Hampton Court Palace, a stone’s throw from where I live.

• Sonia

Hi nmlondon, the picture is from the suppliers brochure. I used the pavers in small amounts in my garden as the cost was so high. I would have loved them all over, but it would have cost £3000 just for materials, sandstone was a third of that. Here i used them as a circle within sandstone paving in my garden, as well as a couple of other areas, I would so have loved more! They also look lovely edging a sandstone patio.I had them professionally laid. I think with such an expensive product it’s best to have it laid professionally? I love their old hand made look.

• nmlondon

Thank you forzaitalia, you are absolutely right, it is rather expensive. was thinking of replacing the old broken concrete path on the left hand side, which is approximately 22 meters long, no wonder my husband wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic...

• Sonia

Ah but you could lay them as edging for a gravel path, you won’t need so many then! Gravel is oh so cheap too. Pea gravel is easier to walk on. Just an idea!

• nmlondon

thanks forzaitalia, that is what he also suggested, which is also a good idea. my problem with gravel is the fallen leaves, foxes (SW of London) and how to keep the gravel relatively clean. we are the "new" homeowners, (having been expats on and off for the last 15 years, we are returning after the two years in Abu Dhabi) - bought this house, lived there for seven months, managed to do few jobs before we moved abroad. we are very keen to start making it home.

• rinq

Look for a cheaper red paver? :)

• lainey_hope

forzaitalia – I'm keen on pea gravel for our side return but worry cats will use it as a litter tray… is that a thing?!

Rinq – looking at the cost of forzaitalia's pavers, it's a no go for me, do cheaper red pavers exist?!

• Sonia

Lainey, boy did I search for cheaper pavers! We went everywhere. When I was looking 2 years ago most pavers were concrete, but the thing that put me off is the red colour fades away on concrete and all the pavers turn grey in the end. They are the sort of pavers people use on drives. However clay pavers are baked hard and the colour is all the way through. They are frost proof too. You can also get brick shaped pavers made of sandstone which are beautiful, but more expensive than concrete. Have a look on Global Stones website for ideas.

Nmlondon and Lainey, cats may use pea shingle as a toilet, but I find larger gravel difficult to walk on. Sweeping any chippings isn’t easy, I agree.

These are sandstone pavers. Colours are softer:

lainey_hope thanked Sonia
  • nmlondon

Thanks Forzaitalia, once again - of course - cats! Both foxes (not so regularly) and neighbours’ cats (regularly) used to visit our back garden. We are bringing our rescues with us but at least they will be limited to an outdoor enclosure. Sandstone is nice, but I really like the red brick clay pavers, will work well with our brick house.
    ....We do have more important issues to take care of, really, like a full rewire and new plumbing and heating, and potentially extending at the back, but it is good to know about those pawers....and dream about the beautiful garden. One day.

• Sonia

I saw some used clay pavers on eBay but they cost even more than new ones! Oh well........ :-)

• rinq

Had some red concrete pavers that were at least 20 years old. All they needed was a yearly power wash. Never turned grey. Perhaps there are painted ones and types with better coloring?

• lainey_hope

Forzaitalia and nmlondon, how about these Global Stone Pavings Modak Rise Pathway Setts?! Could they work? I think they're lovely, and hopefully I'm not completely mistaken, but they seem to be £366 for 11.25sqm… closer to being affordable. Or is this to good to be true?!

https://globalstonepaving.co.uk/product/sandstone-driveway-pathway-setts/

https://www.roofinglines.co.uk/product/global-stone-premium-sandstone-pathway-setts-modak-rose

• Sonia

They look lovely, a gentler shade than red clay, but think how lovely the plants will look against them. Really like it. Sandstone colours are not exact as they are a natural product, so be ready to accept this. My paving was York Green, but in reality some were green, some buff and some pink! Indian sandstone is very well priced compared to clay pavers, and Global Stone are an ethical co with their own quarries to ensure workers are not exploited. See them in real life first, if possible, to ensure you like the colour. Here’s mine on a dry day and you can see the variety!

• lainey_hope

Gentler shade indeed (in an ideal world I'd have the clay), but half the price! They'll take a while to lay as they're small but I think it'll be worth it. Very happy for variation in colours, yours are lovely. There's somewhere not too far that stocks Global Stone products so fingers crossed they have some in stock. Think we could be onto a winner..!

• Sonia

Yay! Yes much cheaper but you know I think they're nicer than the clay ones. Like you, I did loads of research before buying mine but it was hard to find a supplier who actually had any in stock. Photos can make anything look good........hope all goes well for you. How exciting!

lainey_hope thanked Sonia
  • lainey_hope

Thank you forzaitalia, really appreciate your help, I wouldn't have found them if you'd not directed me to the Global Stone website ;-) It'll be a long way off but when we get there, I'll post some pictures!

• rinq

You could also look for extertior tile, but they need to be laid in a rather thick layer of cement (or pref. glued onto slab). Not sure how most of them would hold when slightly mossy and wet..

lainey_hope thanked rinq