barnes_andy

Crittall Style Doors Dilemma

Andy
4 years ago

Hi,

We recently submitted planning for our proposed single story extension and are looking at door options for the rear of the house. We have 2 2700mm openings as well as a 1430mm opening and we have been looking at Alitherm Heritage Aluminium doors to replicate the steel look.

We like the idea of having 2 lots of double doors but if we have these at a decent width (900mm per door) they would be too big to fold back on themselves. If we make them smaller we can do this but the opening becomes a lot smaller, something my wife isn't keen on. The concerns we have with the larger doors is that because they wouldn't be able to fold all the way back there's always the risk of them slamming shut from a gust of wind, something that would not be good with small children around! Unfortunately because of supporting walls there isn't really the option to make either opening any bigger really.

We'd be interested to know of people's experiences with these kind of French doors, do you find the opening large enough? What do you do to prevent them blowing shut etc. The obvious solution with regards to opening size is to go for bi-fold doors but this isn't something I'm overly keen on.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.