beano49

so I made a bathroom unit and mirror!

Anthony (Beano)
4 years ago

As some of you know I like things that’s hard to get or in my case, sometimes don’t exist!

Decided the give the bathroom a quick revamp, existing bath, taps, basin and toilet all still there as they are like new and I still like them, didn’t want to spend anymore than about £500 as I’ll prob do a major revamp next year! All told I spent £350 on everything:-)

We were always stuck for storage as I never seen anything I like so after looking at a few things at silly money I decided I’ll make my own!

The mirror was cut with rounded edges and bonded to an aluminium frame I made which floats it off the wall, like the mid century feel to it with the brass mirror, the unit carcass a friend made, I ordered aluminium sheet cut to size, angled the corners and bonded to the unit, it was painted black as was the edges of the door and inch in on face so when the the door mirror was bonded it would all be black.

As a feature the door face is recessed in 5 mm from the flush face of the unit and has a 5mm gape all round....I’m well chuffed!

Comments (42)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

That looks amazing! So stylish. You have an amazing eye for detail and a real talent. My favourite is the oval mirror, beautiful. Well done!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Your too kind @Sonia, thought I seen a name change yesterday but thought I was a mistake as this site seems to get a bit mixed up a times! Nice change :-)

Yes, I’m really happy with both them, esp at all it cost me! Doubles as I nice mirror to see how your new clothes look on you! Lol

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I’m telling the truth, you are very talented! Took me several goes to get rid of Forza, but I got there in the end :-)

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you very much, means a lot when some likes something you made! :-)

• minnie101
    4 years ago

It looks great Beano. Maybe you should make all your things and save a fortune :)

i was flicking through posts yesterday and thought someone had stolen Forza's garden until I looked closely at Sonia's photo!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you @minnie, id love to, but it can get stressful doing it at times as I’m a bit fussy! saying that I’ve a concrete bench I’m planning for the front! Lol

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago

So smart! You should be very proud.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Sam those damned garden pinchers, they get everywhere! :-)

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I'd love to see the bench (and the cost as I recently got a concrete sink!)

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi @minnie, it will be a take on this one! It would be far too much work to get the bench curved tile the pic but it will have a similar look! Don’t tank it will be that expensive tbh, I’m guessing @£300

The one in the pic is 10k!!!!!

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Love it! I wouldn't even know where to start with building a mould! You will have to post it once built

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lol, not completely sure myself but I probably blunder through it somehow!

• Chris Goodchild
    4 years ago

The bathroom is fantastic, an amazing look.

I know how to make the bench from wood, quite a lot of work but not difficult, but not a clue how to cast concrete for a shape like that.

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments @chris, it’s only a cheap make over but I pretty chuffed with the unit mirror truth be told, looking a new bath, sink, unit to match and tiled floor next year possibly so that’s why I didn’t go mad!

Yes the bench, I wouldn’t just copy somebody’s work but I’d put my own take on it as I really like the shape! More the way the two triangles sit under the seating part! Great design

• Chris Goodchild
    4 years ago

The bench is great, very organic looking.

I like the mirror too but the black cupboard is really cool.

• Milly Moo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ever since I admired your living room with moon mirror it's interesting to see your posts. Nice one with the bathroom looks great - you are clearly talemted!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you :-) I just like messing about at stuff, I’ve a strange taste at times! I’ve always something swirling around upstairs that I’m thinking of doing, it’s just nice to share with people who like the same kind of thing

It’s nice to look at all the nice pics on the main gallery but I do love to see what the real people here are up to, it just feels more real life than a magazine feature although I try to take the best pic I can with a phone! Lol

• Priscilla
    4 years ago

Bueatiful. l really like them.

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

You missed your vocation Beano, whatever that was, it's beautiful. Well done x

• PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    4 years ago

Very stylish well done, lovely job.

• Rachel Fenn
    4 years ago

Beautiful curved mirror!!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks bubbles and Rachel:-) yes I’m really happy how the mirror turned out

• Rachel Fenn
    4 years ago

u should be happy it is awesome. Are you making anymore?

• E D
    4 years ago

Looks really cool Beano!

I’d be happy with my bathroom furniture looking like that!

Must be so gratifying to have achieved this high end look with your own hands.

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi all again, firstly I’d just like to say I really appreciate all the praise you guys have given me and I have been ‘liking’ all your comments but it’s not registering for some unknown reason!

I was thinking of another one to run rider my sink and butting up aginst the upright one, id probably do it in all black, door and sides this time instead of the mirror as it would be too much, id probably hide the bottom half of the sink in the unit and have just the 90mm upstand showing, would give the effect of a very shallow sink ontop of a unit!

Not sure at the moment, as said I’m looking a new bath and floor tiles next year so I’ll possibly wait to then because it will spoil it a bit now having the whole wall assembly finished.

Yes it’s a great feeling to do your own stuff but I’m always nervous to see how it works out as sometimes it really doesn’t! Lol

Again, thanks all :-)

• Carolina
    4 years ago

I love it!

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Beano love it job well done :-)

• smartypantsnancy
    4 years ago

They both look just amazing, well done you clever devil :O)

• Sam N
    4 years ago

Looks gorgeous, very sleek and love the clean lines....I also love a clutter free bathroom (well clutter free everything if I'm honest :-)), so the amount of storage you have managed to create is fab and the result is still a lovely piece of furniture that adds to the room rather than being an obvious storage solution...if that makes any sense lol...;-)

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Feel silly saying thanks so much but I really mean it :-) honestly is a great feeling when people genuinely like what you have done :-)

yes @samN, I’m pretty minimalist but as most on here know I have a thing for mid century so I do have that theme loosely running through my home in one form or another, I’ve the odd little eclectic bit and piece about too mind you :-)

the cabinet is our only storage but it more than enough for everything we need 1500x300x300m!

we have little plastic boxes in the 5 compartments inside it as it easy to lift all out in the basket and get what you want rather than rifle through knocking all over looking something at the back!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi @Kaila Yates and thanks :-)

the frame I made was out of aluminium right angle, it could be made from steel angle as well, to totally simplify, you could just make a rectangle out of say, 30mm square wood, glue it to the rear of the mirror (have the back plastic wrapped for safety and so any mastic/doesn’t react with mirror back and then paint it the same colour of your wall, remember it’s only to float it off the wall, it will sit back about 30mm back from the edge of the mirror so can’t easily be seen! drill and wall plug 2 long screws into the wall (horizontally level) and leave them protruding about 25mm then hang your framed backed mirror on them,

not a great pic but you can see my frame here, this can’t be seen from the front or side due it’s position,

So a wooden frame would be very simple and effective, all you need is a glass supplier to cut and edge your mirror exactly as you want it then make your floating frame to suit :-)

hth

bespoke does not always have to cost a fortune, all in this cost me @£60 to make! That’s the finished product inc the mirror cut and edged!,

the mirror is actually a brass/ rose gold, I love the final effect of the colour

• Kaila Yates
    4 years ago

Thanks Beano! Hadn't realised the finish was so unique, really makes the difference. Great advice especially the 'how-to-guide' - I see potential for us copying you!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No probs, if you need any more advice just ask or pm me in here :-)

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just one thing that has come to mind, wood can expand and contract slightly so possibly better of bonding some metal flat bar (30mm or 40mm wide, you can get it in b&q) then the wooden frame onto that

If you know a local metal fabrication place the could make you a frame from steel angle, mine is u section along the top for hanging and angle along the sides and bottom, I’d say you’d be fine with just the flat bar option above then the wood :-)

• Jason Digs
    4 years ago

Stunning. Where did you get that sink from - amazing. Wondering what the model it is please? Care to share your mind with regards to this dump - https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/5789116/bathroom-design-inspiration#n=0. Really need your eye if you can spare the time. Thank you!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Jason, it’s a catalano zero 100 sink, I’ve had it about 15 years now and it’s as good as the day I put it it!

Still love how modern it looks even now!

• rinked
    4 years ago

Can you handle another compliment?

It looks superb! Nice work!

And perhaps you could replicate that bench out of another material? Pretty amazing paint available these days! (or like light-weight concrete countertops are made, with just 3mm of concrete on them)

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks rinq, :-) it’s always reassuring to hear anyone Seay something nice, as the bench is for outdoors it needs to be durable so just thought concrete was ideal, I’ll have a look into it :-)

• Leslie Tamani
    4 years ago

Clearly a sharp eye for detail and design execution is superb - beautiful finished result. Well done! Praise well deserved here

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Honestly humbled by all of you :/)

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

:-)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.