jem_laun

Victorian house renovation - advice for a newbie :)

jem_laun
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello,

A few weeks ago, my husband and I got the keys to what we hope will be our 'forever' home: a 3 bed Victorian semi with lots of original features and scope for extending in the future. We have a fairly modest £25k budget to do the following work:

• Knock through between kitchen and dining room to create a lovely, spacious kitchen diner
  • Create a new utility room and shower room
  • Sand original floorboards downstairs
  • Plastering and decorating all walls downstairs
  • Replace a 70s fireplace with a restored Victorian fireplace

Ideally, some of our budget will stretch to a new bathroom upstairs, however I suspect we will have to save up more money first! I should mention that my lovely dad, husband and friends are doing the demolition work and the kitchen will be fitted by my dad, so that will save costs.

It would be great to get some advice from fellow renovators with tips on how to spread our budget more widely and where to spend money/save money. Thanks :)

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.