webuser_902153886

cement topped kitchen floor solvent sealer safety and smells

Naomi
4 years ago

We’ve recently had a micro cement
floor (think concrete look floor but cement product) resealed. The old sealer was a water based product but this left the floor open to spill marks and staining even from water. Now we’ve had a solvent based sealer applied instead to revive the previous water damage and protect it moving forward. My question is does anyone know how long this should be giving off a “fumey” smell for? And does anyone know how safe solvent based concrete and cement floor sealers are when used internally?

Comments (2)

• User
    4 years ago

I would get plenty of fresh air in there soon as possible. Would be like having a permanent nail tech living there , I imagine.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

This is a difficult question to answer accurately as there are so many factors that are involved.

If you insist on using a solvent based concrete sealant, then it is important that the conditions be warm and that there is plenty of air circulation in the Kitchen.

You have to be very careful to make sure that the layer that you apply is not too thick, as the thicker it is the longer it will take to dry. You also need to make sure that the kitchen is very well ventilated so you need a warm summer's day with as little humidity in the air as possible and all windows and external doors open.

You also need to be careful that if you are applying the sealer to the underside of the kitchen units that the plinth is kept off until the product has thoroughly dried and no longer gives off an odour.

Drying time on most products is 2-4 hours however the smell could linger for as long as a week depending on how warm the atmosphere is.

I hope this helps.... maybe you should consider using a different water based sealant? The commercial types are generally far more reliable than the DIY options available. If you have a good Builder's Merchant nearby then they will generally be able to give you very good advice and offer product options not generally found in your DIY stores.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.