flooring for a downstairs bedroom-options?

Tani H-S
4 August, 2019

We have an old living room that will now be the second bedroom in a bungalow and we are looking at inexpensive flooring options. The floor in there is currently the thick ply as we ripped out the old rotten floorboards. It does have some gaps around the joins as it’s not t&g.

I wanted laminate - warm wood as it’s north facing, easier to clean and less dust mites. However- we don’t have the time to fit it at the moment due to working on a campervan conversion and I’ve never laid flooring before (have thought about getting a laminate cutter to try myself??)

Easiest option is carpet but cons are it will likely end up being grey which is a bit dull for that room. Nice modern patterns are super expensive so may as well then do the laminate!

Third option - vinyl sheet flooring in a wood effect. Pros - quick and easy to install. Cheaper I imagine.
But ... I’m wondering if I will have to put another lot of 6mm ply down on top of the current floor so the gaps are covered in case the vinyl sheet forms to the gaps?? In which case it will be more cost and more work again.

The photo shows the current floor base. Some gaps are quite large!

** also - in the corner of the room is the stop tap under the floor so we need to be able to get access under the floor easily. Thinking vinyl we could leave a section unglued down so it will lift up?