webuser_124084410

Dark Bedroom Help

Marc O
4 years ago

Hi,

I've been looking at designing and furnishing the master bedroom recently. I was struggling with what to do with the room and decided to take advantage of an online design service which had a sale. It turned out pretty well.

The houzz forms always give great advice and ideas so I was hoping to get some advice, critique, alternative ideas or enhancements to the design I have.

The room is a part of a victorian tenement. It's west facing but has a large window so still fairly bright. The floors are original oiled pine wood, with white trim and F&B Inchyra blue walls. I'm really happy with those colours so not planning to change that. The Inchyra blue definitely seems more green in the light of the my room. There's a small walk in wardrobe with window off the bedroom - interestingly it also has a door into the hall. I've been thinking of just placing a wardrobe in front of the bedroom opening and using the walk in for general storage (I could use more storage!) but open to suggestions.

I would say the rest of the house is decorated in a mid century style maybe with some industrial touches. It probably makes sense to keep the same overall style in the bedroom but I don't want all the rooms to be so similar that it feels cookie cutter.

Here are some photos just after painting. Excuse the mess :)

The design idea:

I think it is looking good overall! It feels like it might be missing something. I'm just not sure what. The space on the side close to the window seems a little empty I'm not sure if the black wardrobe is going to work against the natural wood units but maybe it will.

The overhead lamp I will have to switch for something else as I was planning to use the one shown in the mockup in the lounge.

There's a lot of grey in the colour scheme. I guess it makes sense to keep things light because the walls are so dark. Possibly overusing brass - it is in all the rooms I don't want a brass overload. I wonder if I could make use of the window area more - maybe a long ottoman or something.

I pinned some things I like on pinterest if its helpful:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/ms256128/bedroom/

I'm open to any suggestions and advice, even something completely different :)

Thanks

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.