webuser_71660

no bathroom window - fake it?

Tani H-S
4 years ago

Onto the downstairs bathroom now which I have to start designing (zzz) in our bungalow to service 2 bedrooms.
We have one en-suite shower room upstairs currently.

As we used part of an old bedroom to make the bathroom during extension works, we are left with a room with no windows in.
It’s off the hallway which is already dark and the side external wall is east facing so only gets a bit of sun but is mostly blocked by next doors house.

The only options I can see are as follows:-

1. leave it with all artificial lighting.

2. put a sun tunnel in (a lot of work and expensive and not sure how much light we will gain?)

3. create a fake window with frosted glass and daylight bulbs.

Not sure if the third option would look realistic or not?? Has anyone done this before??

Will get some pics of proposed layout in due course....

Comments (35)

• Daisy England
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Can you put a window in? I’m thinking not only for light (however small) but also for ventilation otherwise you’ll need a extractor/fan.

• AMB
    4 years ago

Not sure what the benefit of a fake window would be.... Like Daisy says, if there's an external wall can't you just put a small window for light (no matter how little) and ventilation? I think bathrooms always benefit from a window, no matter how small.

• Related Discussions

Where to put additional bathroom(s)

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks pjbell! My first thought was 'no way, we use bedroom 2 and can't lose it - far too radical'. But then I stopped and looked and actually, that may well be worth considering! All bedrooms are in use - bedroom 2 is our studio/craft room/office. Kids are in the back bedroom and top floor. I've got my heart set on an en-suite and keeping our large bedroom but have been mindful of making the studio too small so was opting for a small shower room. I've been pondering if there is anything we could do to have a larger family bathroom but couldn't see how. This could give a large family bathroom and more luxurious en-suite. The back room is south facing so would be much better for a studio - its worth seeing the size if we split into two bedrooms. I do like the fact that all bedrooms are decent doubles and wouldn't want them much smaller. We are going to be here for the next 10-15 years and will then look to downsize when the kids have flown the nest. This will be the only major work we'll do so although it needs to be right for us, I also want it to be as appealing as possible to the next family. Definitely food for thought - thanks!
    ...See More

a new bathroom - in fact an en-suite and a family bathroom

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, you’ll need to add room plans including windows and doors
    ...See More

Small bathroom, window bath/shower issue

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm just about to buy a hour with EXACTLY the same issue (and exactly the same floor plan!!!) I have looked online at turning the bath around to go under the window & moving the toilet but it seems like quite a big job so I'm wondering if I could move the bath to immediately inside the door and the sink up near the toilet?!
    ...See More

Large bathroom vs small bathrooms / ensuite

Q

Comments (7)
    I'd make one big bathroom but have a door into it from your bedroom as well as from the hall - so it's an ensuite most of the time, but guest access from hall when necessary. Agree with above to make a lovely bedroom and bathroom for yourselves and share with guests - who will also appreciate a lovely bathroom rather than a small internal one. And from your two-bath solution - the main reason for me to want an ensuite is to have easy access to the toilet from bedroom during the night, so having the toilet separate from both bathrooms (and especially far from the ensuite) makes no sense to me at all. While Jonathan's idea works better if you want two smaller bathrooms, I'd rather have one big bathroom and no ensuite than a tiny ensuite.
    ...See More
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We would have a really good fan anyway in the wall either way.

Issue with a window is that it would have to be a really high thin wide one as it’s where the shower is so might get window if it’s standard height. So you can’t open it then anyway. Plus building costs I guess :0(

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

If you think you’d be able to put in a sun tunnel, could you work out a way to have a velux window?

My understanding is that the straighter the tunnel is, the more light it will create.

I like trying to get some natural light in, however it is a room you can get away without it if needed (which would also save some money!)

I feel like I’ve not really helped at all! Lol sorry!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wish we could but the bathroom is in the middle of the house and the new extension starts 1m on (we took 1m for the utility out of the same room) so we can reach the edge of the sloped roof from the loft as the extension is a flat roof under that, but not get a skylight in? If that makes sense

• Victoria
    4 years ago

I love clerestory windows, could be a real feature.

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I’m with Victoria, and think a clerestory window could work. Depending on what’s outside could even be clear glass.

If you’re thinking about the merits/cost of a sun tunnel may as well look at cost / Feasibility of putting in the window?

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Or like this

• madsadmum
    4 years ago

Our bathroom and en-suite are windowless and we don’t notice at all. We have very good fans so no damp (after 4 years). We would have preferred to have windows but the positioning of the bathrooms when the extension was built made sense. We talked about fake windows but actually like the ‘hotel’ look

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess clerestory windows work well but when there is natural light coming through them? Ie we would only get a teeny bit of light in the morning then that’s it as the house next door would block most of it out.

The sun tunnel would be routed to the south facing side so it should get sun most of the day - but I just don’t know how much light it would actually put into the room vs the window.

I will have to get some quotes in maybe for either option.

It does make me wonder though if a window doesn’t give off much natural light and you have to put an artificial light on anyway - and you can’t open it because it’s too high, is it really worth putting one in?

• Victoria
    4 years ago

You’d be able to open it, using a rod or winder. Sun pipes are good, but windows are better.

• AMB
    4 years ago

I think you are talking yourself out of the window Tani. I know someone who had a sun tunnel installed and it was very good at illuminating, but only a particular spot not the whole room. So, if you did have one consider where you want it positioned, over the shower or sink for example.

Is this just going to be a guest or downstairs/family bathroom, or your main bathroom? I think if it is not your day to day bathroom then just stick with lights. You can always change it a few years later if it really bugs you!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha ha, yeah, I guess we just want to go with the easiest and less costly option now as overspent on the whole house and still loads to finish. Want to do it nicely though.

We would use the downstairs bathroom mostly for the WC and our en-suite for showers etc. But there are only two of us. So I guess if we sold it and a family moved in then as it’s for 2 x bedrooms, it would technically be the main family bathroom?

I supposed we wouldn’t need to tile right up the ceiling anyway as it’s 2.4m high so could leave a window sized gap for future.

I will get some prices in anyway for the window and see what they say. It’s on the plans so we have permission for that anyway.

Not worried about us- so much as future buyers and what they will think:0/

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all.

I will try and work on the window pricing then for clerestory and see what it comes in at.

• Carolina
    4 years ago

I have two bathrooms without windows in the house. No problem. Ventilation by extractor.

• Victoria
    4 years ago

Currently on holiday in a cottage with two portholes in the bathroom. Works well.

• PRO
    Glazing Vision
    4 years ago

Hi Tani,

I hope I'm not too late to the party here. It seems like our VisionVent rooflight might be the perfect solution for this. It's electrically controlled with an optional rain sensor and, more importantly, lets in loads of natural light from above without the privacy issue.

Here's an example https://www.rooflights.com/case-studies/rudge-barn-norfolk/ .

And you can look through options and order online here https://www.rooflights.com/rooflights/visionvent-chain-actuated-vent-rooflight/ .

Which ever solution you go for, I hope you find the one that's right for you. :-)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Victoria- oh you know my husband mentioned those yesterday and I completely forgot about them! Probably much cheaper to install and fit as well as no lintel ?!? Just coring a hole out!

Will get prices

• Victoria
    4 years ago

Glad to be of assistance :-)

• PRO
    Sterlingbuild
    4 years ago

Hi Tani,

You mentioned potentially looking into a sun tunnel as an option but suggested that you wouldn't necessarily get a lot of light in and it could be expensive/difficult. Some sun tunnels really don't let a lot of light in (particularly flexible ones, which don't have rigid tubes), but some are very good. If you wanted to explore this option or get some pricings, I'd recommend the Lightway sun tunnel range (they can be found on our website here): https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/category/sun-tunnels?filter460=Flat+roof&filter232=Lightway&filter460=Pitched%20roof&page=1 

If you're concerned about specific sizings or whether it would work in your bathroom, we work very closely in partnership with the guys at Lightway and they do a lot of the installations (which generally aren't as expensive as you might think!). If sun tunnels are an option you might like to consider then feel free to let me know and I could set up a chat with Lightway's Technical Director for the UK, as he will be able to give you a better guide on installation pricing, suggestions for sun tunnel sizes, etc.

Good luck with finding the right solution for you :)

- Holly

Tani H-S thanked Sterlingbuild
  • PRO
    Schmidt Dorking
    4 years ago

Hi Tani,

Independently of what are the options, the real question is what you feel that you want. Is the need for a window because you want natural light, ventilation, or aesthetics? You will have have to invest in artificial lighting anyways, and the other options won't increase or substitute the artificial lights. You will need a ventilation, either a fan or a window. And for aesthetics, there are different ways to make an artificially illuminated bathroom look good.

You can always put some small windows to add the design, more than trying to substitute the artificial lights. A great example are the portholes shared above, or the small windows could match the mirror or something similar. Making the window a feature instead of a faux window.

Good luck with the project :)

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

How did you get on Tani? I'm now in a not dissimilar position.

We've been told we can't have a window in the ensuite - (booo!)... but now down to a sun tunnel or just having lights.

I'm keen on getting natural lighting if possible where as the OH is very ambivalent... *sigh* so many decisions..

@Sterlingbuild Out of interest what's the significance of the "blue performance"? I was struggling to find it in the info below. I also presume the difference between the 200/300/400 etc is the number denotes the size? Also are the integral lights suitable for use in a bathroom?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all!
    Even if we did have a window in there - a high level one in the shower area would be awkward to open anyway so we would still need a really good extractor fan either way.
    So for us it’s about having good ventilation which a window wouldn’t really provide as good as a fan (especially in winter when we don’t want to open a window! Brrr)

Agree that the light tunnel - although south facing, won’t give us a huge amount of light and it won’t feel like daylight anyway because you can’t see the sky and it might have to be a bending tube anyway. Also doesn’t offer ventilation so a lot of cost for not a lot.

I got a builder over and he said porthole windows were really expensive (?!?) - i didn’t think they were but maybe he doesn’t fit a lot and so he doesn’t have the right cutting tools?? I’m still waiting for a price for a clerestory window (opening and fixed options) so will report back on costs in due course.

Another option we are looking at is to cut out some of the partition wall into our utility - and also cut a window above our utility door further into the new extension so that natural light can pass through the two rooms.
    It’s a pain as already had it all plastered etc but it would be cheaper than putting in an outside window and we do get good sun in the extension as south facing.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@gabby - have you decided about your windows yet?
    My husband wants to leave the window to save money and just make an internal window (although it will end up costing similar I’m sure!! Especially with all the extra lighting we might have to have????)

@madsadmum - what lighting did you put in your internal bathrooms? Sensor one that turns on automatically when you walk in?

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

So we couldn’t have a window in the end - there’s a single storey part of the house next to it, and the pitch of the roof meant the loft space would be all we saw through the window!

Contemplated a sun tunnel, but couldn’t have a rigid tube only flexi, which have much worse reviews! Soooo just stuck with 3 LED spots instead shrug - there will also be a mirrored cabinet on the wall that has some lights I think on it

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It looks great though! Definitely mirrors will help bounce the light around.

I think unless you have south facing window (like our loft en suite which I never have to turn the light on for as the moon always keeps it lit up even in the middle of the night!) the you will always have to turn the lights on anyway so ...

• pmasmith3
    4 years ago

Tani
    These photos might give you an idea of how much light a sun tunnel gives. Our bungalow has a central hall with no windows, the only light coming from the rooms each side of it. During total refurb last year we included two sun tunnels. It’s made a lot of difference - don’t need lights on during the day!

I don’t think it would give enough light for a bathroom.

I’ve closed the doors so you can see the effect without light coming from the windows in the other rooms.

• pmasmith3
    4 years ago

Sorry meant to post this one too!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

The set back wall above the toilet is where I’d hoped for the window, and it would have been south facing! But yes, in the long run I don’t think it really matters!

• pmasmith3
    4 years ago

This is the tiny window on our shower room. Doesn’t give much light as North facing, but I do like fresh air!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Very helpful to see.
    I STILL haven’t got a price back from that guy for the window so will find others to quote now. I had asked for a large window but perhaps a smaller one might not need a lintel?? So would be cheaper! Hummmm

• pmasmith3
    4 years ago

The window replaced a slightly larger one so I guess the lintel was already there. These 'work in progress' photos may help.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bah, wrote a long reply and it all disappeared! 😥

Anyway, it was saying I finally managed to get a builder here AND a quote from them, lol. Was £760 to put a window in NOT including external rendering (pebble dash!) or internal plastering etc so it’s a lot of money. It can’t be too deep either because I didn’t realise the outside gate is in the way so it will end up just being a narrow slit.

However, he was a nice guy and knows my neighbour well (who recommended him) and he asked to look in the loft space and said we could actually have a velux on the side which we didn’t think we could have. He doesn’t do them (need a roofer for that) but he said it would need a joiner to create a tunnel inside.

Next step is to get prices for that but our roofer is booked up for another month with roof repairs (including one for us!) so will have to be patient, bah. Lol.

Internal window idea - we were going to do that and if the velux is too expensive then we still will. Will be better than nothing I guess but not very bright.
    Sun tunnel would probably cost the same as a velux to put in but the latter will give us more light so .....
    Watch this space!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.