aliblain

Grouting advice

Alison Oliver
4 years ago

Hello folks. We are refurbing our bathroom and we are at the stage of making a final decision on grout! We are going to a mid century type of look and have some geometric tiles on one wall, large scale tiles on another wall and wood effect tiles on the floor (which also go up the vanity wall). It’s whether to match the grout to the tiles or use the same grout on both. Also, what do people generally do with wood look tiles? Do we do brown or would a dark grey look good?

Comments (29)

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the picture I’ve been using to try to decide between dark and light grout

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Love these tiles! Planning on getting dark blue ones for our en-suite when we redo it....
    I think arranging the tiles in that way the dark grout looks better :-)

Can I ask where you sourced your tiles from? Thanks!

Alison Oliver thanked Gabby Wong
  • E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

After having a good look at all photos my vote is for light grout.

It makes the pattern more intricate (which at first I thought would be too much), therefore more interesting.

My main reason however for choosing light grout is that it stops the pattern looking like Christmas trees.

I do like the tiles, still. :)

Alison Oliver thanked E D
  • Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks both. my husband prefers dark grout but I think i like light (think it looks less 80s and more 50s somehow?!). I wondered if we could use grey grout matching the grey tiles also for the geometric ones....

Gabby, I love these tiles in other colours (would have loved green ones) but I only managed to find black ones within my budget- I am in the UK and got them from ‘Your Tiles’ at around only £39/m2. They are porcelain rather than enchaustic. We spent a lot of time deciding how to lay them! There are so many ways they can go on to give different look.

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Yea, the ones I’m looking at are porcelain too, from mandarin stone - similar price to yours.

I also love the green but they don’t do it (and my other half is less keen!)

https://www.mandarinstone.com/collections/porcelain-ceramic-glass/patterned-decorative/

Planning this kind of pattern I think :-)

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i like that pattern but my husband liked the triangles ;) (he wasn’t keen on the tiles to begin with so compromise was made!). The blue is lovely.

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Agree with ED on the white grouting. It makes a feature of the hexagon tiles rather than the big triangle pattern.

Tell your husband about the Christmas trees Alison. It'll bug him every time he showers :-)

Alison Oliver thanked Jules Mc
  • Patrina
    4 years ago

I vote dark grout in this instance I think they better suit this tile.

Alison Oliver thanked Patrina
  • PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

I would vote for the light grout as well as it gives the pattern more dimension and depth imho.

Alison Oliver thanked Brandler London
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    4 years ago

I like the light grout also but both options give you slightly different results.

Alison Oliver thanked bubbles bathrooms and tiles
  • Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you! The point may be moot as husband isn’t budging! He likes black best and thinks it’ll be easier to keep clean. with that in mind, what do people think about the light grey big tiles- we could go for an anthracite colour the same as the hexagon tile or attempt to match the tile to give a more homogeneous effect? I‘m feeling a bit deflated as my father in law said the tiles make the bathroom look like a disco (read, tacky) and that all I need is a disco ball

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Lol... I feel your pain about other people's opinions.. my other half vetoed us getting parquet flooring... Only thing I would also say about the dark grout is that if you're in a hard water area, then limescale will build up a lot more on there

Not sure about the grey tiles... I don't have the imagination to visualise how it'd look with the different types of grout...

(and definitely ignore the father in law! It's beautiful... plus I think design is often a generational thing.. I mean there is no way I'd ever decorate my house the same way my parents or grandparents would... )

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

I would go with dark grout for two reasons. Firstly, it looks great with white grout on its own, but with another tile it's busy enough so the dark grout simplifies it a bit. Secondly, the grout line is not likely to be exactly the same dimension or colour as the glazed tile pattern line, so it won't necessarily look as you imagine. I have some patterned tiles and had this issue. It would be good if the grout on the other two tiling areas could be the same. Looks great so far.

Alison Oliver thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks folks! i hadn’t really thought too much about the grout until now! Who knew, so many decisions. Thanks Gabby- I’m hoping he likes it better once it all comes together. Planning lots of greenery so hopefully it will look less ’clubby’ then ;).

Thanks E D! ;) That’s an amazing looking bathroom but wasn‘t quite the look i was going for...although there was a disco ball hanging in the sitting room when we moved in...so we could recycle that!

thanks colourhappy- i must admit I hadn’t considered the issue of limescale!

I will repost once everything is done so you can see the final grout decisions!

• E D
    4 years ago

Haha my ‘inspo’ photo was just tongue in cheek. More directed at your father in law than at you. :-)

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I suspected so ;)

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

By the way Gabby, we’re hoping to have parquet flooring in our sitting room.... have been looking at reclaimed stuff but it looks like an awful lot of work!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

oh wow!! Reclaimed is stunning.. but as you say, a lot of work! I'd have been happy with laminate/LVT in a herringbone style.. oh well... probably wouldn't have had the budget left for it anyway! lol

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, we‘ve kind of blown the budget on the bathroom, even though my husband has done all the tiling! So the rest of the house will wait for now. The walls are pretty much tiled now....floor next (Which will be the same as the wood ones on the wall). Here’s a panorama to give an idea of the room- it’s L shaped.

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Can’t get pics to post...

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There will be a double vanity on the wooden wall with a large mirror above that takes up most of the space with 2 pendant lights. To the right will be the radiator and the toilet to the left....

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Looking good so far Love that wooden wall.

• Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Patrina. I thought I’d update on what we did with the grout in the end and show you the (nearly) finished product. We did dark (anthracite) grout on the black tiles and the wood tiles and mid grey grout which matched the grey tiles. I’m really pleased with the result and I think my husband has done a fantastic job of the tiling- it’s been a real labour of love.

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous love it all. I love all the textures. I'd ne happy if my hubby did this to our bathroom.

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

That looks amazing!

Alison Oliver thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

That’s gorgeous! You must be so pleased with how it turned out!! I’m so impressed by the hubby’s work!

• E D
    4 years ago

Looking fantastic! Very classy. You and your husband should be very proud!

I was going to say, Christmas comes early, but that would just be silly. :-)

Alison Oliver thanked E D
  • Alison Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am excited to show it off. Just the rest of the house to go.... by the way, here are a couple of ‘before’ shots- we’ve been working on the bathroom since April and have had a shower set up outside. It’s getting colder here now so glad to get inside again!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.