sam_potter37

Bathroom colour scheme advice

Sam Potter

I'm planning to decorate my bathroom around this picture and this bookcase (used as a linen cupboard) which will stretch all across one wall. The bathroom has white sanitaryware and tiles, which I won't be changing anytime soon. I need to choose vinyl flooring (colour and pattern) and a wall (and ceiling?) paint colour. Plus accessories: shower curtain, bath mat, mirror, candles, towels, planters. I'm also planning to change the sink taps and bath panels.
I'd love some ideas please. I'm happy to change the picture frame and paint/strip the cupboard. I'm not sure if I want to go dark, light or colourful.

• Sam Potter

All true Rinq. I have a while to think about it, as there's plastering to do, a bit of tiling, sink and bath to install etc, before I need to make a decision. I reckon the 'wood' is more in tune with a slightly louche, jules verne style victorian feel. The 'tile' is a more bright and hygenic look.

• Sam Potter

Right. Roof no longer leaking so on with the reno. Lovely bf plastered the ceiling/sides of the walls where they meet the stripped brick. We got the cabinet back in place, complete with scaffold board legs, and the sink is in position. Tonight I scrape grotty grout out, ready for new grout, so the old tiles match with the new ones.

Colour scheme for bathroom tiles

Hi, these tiles are a great colour and would work very well as a feature. I would be inclined to combine them with a simple matching tile for both floor and wall, for example Metroplois Tokyo White which is quite plain or even Urban Concrete which has a bit more interest. Let me know if you would like to see samples. Karen

Ensuite Bathroom - need colour advice?

I think the tiles look great and no reason why you shouldn't have the vanity in walnut. The two ' wood' colours are completely different so probably OK although you might need to look at bringing some other walnut colour in (mirror maybe) to tie it all together. If you're really unsure, a white vanity would also look fab & give a very calming space. Go for what you like rather than what design dictates.

colour scheme for neutral new build bathroom

Ah... if you haven't moved in, stay off paint for a while. They can hide minor leaks! Pressure test the bathroom before painting. You will find it a lot less boring during summer! If you are ordering shutters, a non-white one might be a good option to start with. If you don't want to invest at such early stage, look up 247blinds, I always get my blinds from them and the blinds are very easy to install. Hope it helps :)

Advice needed for Bathroom Renovation - Tiles and Colour Scheme

When I moved in this house the previous owners had proper bathroom tiles in the bathroom but when wet they were ridiculously slippy. So my first concern would definitely be finding out if they are slippy when wet. Re aesthetics, I really like Carolina’s pic mixing wood effect tile with the white and black. I like the high shine of the large format tiles but just looking at them makes me scared of slipping.

Loving it so far. I wonder it replacement cabinet legs might be a good choice

• Sam Potter

Might not be strong enough to hold it up. I'll see how the scaff boards look once they're stained dark brown.

• Victoria

If you pushed scaffold boards back a few inches or cut a bit off you could put a cabinet leg in front of it.

• Anthony

Just a thought, what about a piece of mirror across the bottom of that?

give the illusion of it floating and you would just bond it to the scaffold board faces, make the floor look bigger and could even go gold, bronze, tinted or normal silver mirror!

• Sam Potter

Gosh you lot are clever.. This is why I come here. Love all those ideas. I'll have a think about it while I scrape grout.

• Sam Potter

Slow progress but it's getting there. Back of cupboard is painted in the same blue as the moby pic but neither are really visible here. Perhaps once the glass is cleaned it will show through the cupboard doors.
    Just waiting for the bath now, before we can plumb in the sink and fit the vinyl floor and skirtings. Plus whatever we do with the cupboard base. I'm inclined to just paint the scaffold boards black to start with. I knew Wayfair was too good to be true. They haven't even sent a delivery date for the bath, after missing first date they gave us. Hey ho. It better be done by Xmas or I won't be a happy elf.

• Sonia

Getting there Sam! I found Wayfair’s Customer Service very good. If you haven’t done so already please contact them via their Contact Us email. Hope it gets sorted soon.

• Sam Potter

Ooh good plan Sonia. I'll get my best people on it when he surfaces.

Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space

You could add some baskets, wicker or metal, or some vintage boxes underneath of the linen cabinet. you can make the boxes and age them or if you have any pieces left from the original cabinet. you can store some toilet paper, your cleaning product etc

• Sam Potter

Love that idea. Very practical! And means the tp and other un pretty things are out of sight.

• Sam Potter

Sigh. Bf says the walls need another coat. Boo. On the bright side, Sonia, he emailed Wayfair and now the bath is arriving tomorrow. Hurrah!

• Anthony

Starting to take shape, have you decided on a floor tile yet?

• Sam Potter

I think something blue and white. Or fake parquet. Its going to be cheap n cheerful. As in sheet vinyl. I'm hopefully having Friday off to go and have a gander at whatever the local flooring shops have in stock. I know it's a relatively simple job but both bf and I have separately had bad experiences doing it ourselves, so we want to get it fitted by the supplier.

• Anthony

faux herringbone could be nice, still thin a smoke mirror at the base of that unit could look really well! :-)

• cassandrascott24

Decided to follow this post, Sam... Absolutely fascinating... Great to see it taking shape and coming together. Some wonderful ideas and input from Houzzers. I love Marina's fun octopus etc. That would be my cup of tea. Also love how you are recycling/upcycling. It'll be fab when it's done without it costing the arms and legs of designer fees...

• Sonia

So glad Sam. Wayfair are brilliant! We had a parasol arrive which wasn’t perfect but usable. I wasn’t happy. Emailed them with photos and they reimbursed me and said keep the parasol or dispose of it as I wished. Amazing customer service. We’ve got vinyl in our bathroom. It’s really good and non slip too. I gave the parasol to a family member and ordered a different one which was perfect enough to keep!

• Sam Potter

Beano, I haven't discarded the mirrored base idea. I like how it looks in kitchens. Though possibly as it will reflect the toilet and the sink unit it won't look quite how I'd like.
    Sonia, Wayfair 'updated' the delivery info last night. Now it's expected Thursday! Grrrr!
    Cassandrascott24, thanks! Necessity is definitely the mother of invention :-) Marina does have lovely ideas. She's done a full room design for me, for my boxroom, which I haven't had time to implement yet. It's going to look amazing.

• Sonia

Oh flip, not good! Naughty Wayfair..........complain, lay it on thick, booked a day off work etc. They may give you a discount? Grrrr indeed!

• Gabby

How annoying!! I’m withSonia.. and When you send the complaint Sam, mention how disappointed you are in the service and at the current rate you wouldn’t be recommending them to people!

• cassandrascott24

I remember a PRO once slated me for having a 'fun' convo with another Houzzer saying this was a serious platform for professionals and those wishing to use their services and hadn't we better things to do with our time!!!! My fellow Houzzer was like "Really??!!" and said this was also a platform for people to help each other, advise, encourage etc. Needless to say this engendered a lot of discussion with folk saying how the comments were often more interesting than the posts etc... And here we have this column.... A great way to give a leg up/inspiration to those struggling with their projects. And give us a laugh along the way too! So yay. Sam, way to go... And lovely that people can help each other in this way without charging a penny never mind the 5 figure sum!

• cassandrascott24

In fact, Sam, this would make a fascinating Houzz post in itself... Along with your 'work in progress' pics we could observe a project coming together and how you feel your way forward through the morass of ideas....

• Sam Potter

I love reading the dilemmas and the advice on them. The couple of years I've been on Houzz has taught me so much about what I like, and what I'm capable of. It's been a real journey, and the support of the community on here means a lot to me. Hopefully I've done my bit to support others too.
    I've also hired landscapers and a painter and decorator off here, so it's definitely worth Houzz letting us use the site as a diy designer/consumer forum. I wouldn't bother coming on here if it was just a glorified 'checkatrade' type service. Nb everyone I've considered hiring off those types of site has been dreadful.

• Anthony

one Pro that comes to mind I have most time for is @OnePlan always chipping in and offering free gratis :-) there are some others but usually with an add linked on, this place only exists due to the amateur diy people like us, don’t get me wrong, in that are some very skilled people that continually help out with their skill set, potential home layouts, colour help, etc, etc, you know how you are.

i only offer anywhere I think I can, some I’d be useless so just read the comments, tbh it’s would be a very dull place without the regulars people one here, I’ve fairly new but I think it’s a great little platform for like minded people:-)

OnePlan

Blushing profusely - thanks Beano ! ;-)

I do think that the new way that Houzz is driving the platform these days - ie it seems to be steering clients only to those who pay to advertise on Houzz as soon as they log on - this probably does encourage some pros to post with links etc ... (it may be a case of leads drying up due to the new set up )
    It puts pros in the dilemma of do we stick around as we are - or do we pay to be on here - I know , personally, I’d have to put my prices up to pay to advertise, I don’t really want to do that - as I want good safe design to be accessible to everyone and not just those with loadsa cash !

I’m always thankful that lots of my business comes from recommendations . Let hope it continues.
    In the mean time - I’m happy to keep popping up and helping where I can ! Even when it’s bonkers busy, like the run up to Christmas always is !!

• Sam Potter

Finally got the lino down and cupboard legs painted. Just skirting to paint and glue on, and shower curtain to choose. Thank you all SO much for your input into this room. It looks the way it does because of you people.

• Sonia

Sam that floor looks amazing. Love the loo roll art display! :-))

• Sam Potter

Thanks Sonia! It's a Christmas tree ;-)

The parquet is a really classy choice- well done it looks brilliant

• rinq

Neat! :)

• Anthony

Well done, looks really smart, it’s easy to just go and buy stuff but to repurpose and pull it off is a whole different ball game, if I’d seen it an a book I’d know it was yours! Congrats

• Gabby

Love it Sam, great job!

• Victoria

Looks amazing!
    I still think you should get the Moby Dick shower curtain.
    On the sink unit, could you paint the middle bit a different colour? Either stained to match large cabinet or to pick up a colour in the shower curtain?

• minnie101

Love it, agree with Beano it's very you :) Great choice of floor

• Jules Mc

Wow Sam, looks fabulous. Are they the same wall tiles? They've come up a treat if they are. Love the way the plants and stool take the focus off the loo as you walk in too. Happy New Bathroom!!

• Patrina

Oh Sam wow! love it. You are so creative, I like the fact that your vision for this room has turned out so well. Really great Job :-)

• E D

Looks great! So stylish.

Love the (white) ‘logs’ behind the glass. :-)

Was attaching the sink unit to the bath always the plan?

• Sam Potter

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments. Victoria, the middle bit is particle board so not easy to paint successfully.
    ED, the plan wasn't to join the sink to the bath, but other half wanted a longer bath (it's 1800mm). The cupboard door wouldnt have opened as wide if we moved the sink further down the room, and the lack of a gap cuts down on cleaning.

• T Gray

That looks so lovely Sam, the cabinet is stunning and the way you have pulled the room together is really inspiring. I haven't been on here much lately mainly due to work pressures and taking 3 months to decorate our hall (I may do a before and after post this week!) but reading your thread and being reminded of all the lovely helpful folks on here and seeing the outcome of your hard work has reminded me of how super this community is. Merry Christmas and have a great 2020.

• Carolina

Oh Sam, your bathroom looks amazing! Love the glass fronted cupboards and the loo roll display. Floor looks gorgeous. It's a very instagrammable room :-) In fact, your entire place is instagramworthy. Fab!

• Sam Potter

Thanks T Gray, can't wait to see your before and after. People on here are utterly awesome aren't they!
    Carolina, thanks, I think! Maybe I should have a go at Instagram. Tbh I'm not really sure what it's for!

• E D

Haha Sam, you don’t know what you’re missing!

Neither do I. :-0

• Carolina

Who does? :-D

• cassandrascott24

And a 'Wow' from me too... A lot of 'backache, sweat & typing' and you've pulled it off.

• Sam Potter

Cassandrascott24, Ha! You're right!

• Rosie G

I’ve only just seen this whole thread, and just popped on to say how lovely it all looks! Beautiful cabinet, lovely flooring. Well done!

• Sam N

It looks great Sam! I love the cabinet, and the flooring choice too, you’d never know it was lino. We have Lino in our utility room, its so easy to keep clean...lovely and warm and soft under bare feet too! You must be so pleased with it, everything works together really well.

• Victoria

Spray paint would work on the particle board, if you wanted to change it :-)

• obobble

Brill! (As usual).