sam_potter37

Bathroom colour scheme advice

Sam Potter
26 August, 2019

I'm planning to decorate my bathroom around this picture and this bookcase (used as a linen cupboard) which will stretch all across one wall. The bathroom has white sanitaryware and tiles, which I won't be changing anytime soon. I need to choose vinyl flooring (colour and pattern) and a wall (and ceiling?) paint colour. Plus accessories: shower curtain, bath mat, mirror, candles, towels, planters. I'm also planning to change the sink taps and bath panels.
I'd love some ideas please. I'm happy to change the picture frame and paint/strip the cupboard. I'm not sure if I want to go dark, light or colourful.

• minnie101

Hi SAm. Do you have a picture of the bathroom? Is the idea to "theme" it around the picture or just use the colours? Is the ceiling also really high in here?

this isn't based upon the moby dick pic but just wondered if the 1st pic is your kind of thing? I love this shower curtain from Rockett st George and have photoshopped it in this room...

Maybe leave the walls above the tiles white, use a black vinyl wood effect floor and "black" ceiling. Leave the cabinet as wood, pick up the pink for bath panel (?) and the burnt orange for Amber bottles etc. Maybe break up the white walls with a vintage style mirror, hanging plant etc, ornaments on the cabinet etc.

You may hate the idea of course!

• Sam Potter

Hi Minni, l love the shower curtain. I'm not looking to create a themed Moby Dick room, though now you've got me thinking about a shelf just containing various editions! It's one of my fave books, and my daughter got me the print. It actually bugs me that the illustrators name is so prominent and Melville doesn't get a look in . I like the black floor with white hexagons. Not so sure about the black ceiling. It's not a high ceiling.
    As for photos... Okaaay. Bear in mind this is the only completely untouched room, apart from ripping out a mouldy carpet and taking up soaking wet fake wood boards. You can see remnants of those by the bath and sink.
    I've strpoied the door and intend to leave it in its raw state. Oh and it's been rewired, and had an extractor fitted.
    The previous inhabitant clearly loved lego. We've taken half the stickers off. Still a lot to go.

Ensuite Bathroom - need colour advice?

I think the tiles look great and no reason why you shouldn't have the vanity in walnut. The two ' wood' colours are completely different so probably OK although you might need to look at bringing some other walnut colour in (mirror maybe) to tie it all together. If you're really unsure, a white vanity would also look fab & give a very calming space. Go for what you like rather than what design dictates.

colour scheme for neutral new build bathroom

If your magnolia wall needs a touch up because of settlement then your builder will likely do it but they won't do it in a room you have decorated. So you can decorate now but have to accept that any touch ups will be your responsibility. Bear in mind that the show house would have been decorated top to toe so there are no issues.

Bathroom Refurb - colour advice please!

Hi. It's hard to tell colours online but your tiles seem to have a green undertone, wonder if farrow and ball mouses back (1st pic) would work? I'd add a wooden bath mat, this one is available from Victorian plumbing. On the wall opposite the sink a towel holder with a hammam towel, this is from not on the high street and available in a few colours. Do you also have room for art on that wall? I'd add a potted plant at the end of the bath. If you have the space then 3 small dark wood shelves over the wc and mirror over the sink and add candles etc.

Advice needed for Bathroom Renovation - Tiles and Colour Scheme

When I moved in this house the previous owners had proper bathroom tiles in the bathroom but when wet they were ridiculously slippy. So my first concern would definitely be finding out if they are slippy when wet. Re aesthetics, I really like Carolina’s pic mixing wood effect tile with the white and black. I like the high shine of the large format tiles but just looking at them makes me scared of slipping.
  • E D

Looks like a decent sized room. Was it once a bedroom you think?

Love the door!

• Sam Potter

Hi ED, Yep, would've been a bedroom. It's the top half of the outrigger part of my Victorian terrace. It looks like this bit of the house was rebuilt at some point in the past. The window is smaller and ceilings much lower. There's a small chimney on the roof of this bit, and the stack can be seen as a small (very annoying) build out in the corner near the sink. I intend to move the sink along the wall to give me more space for a full width linen cupboard.

• Sonia

I think white walls with a patterned vinyl floor would be nice. Only because it’s what I want but can’t justify it as our bathroom was only done 4 years ago! Accessories with anything you like, and, of course, plants. White towels or ones which pick up the flooring colour would be nice. Here’s sort of what I mean

• Sam Potter

Sonia, white is good because I'm seriously financially challenged. If I want to get this room done by Xmas it'll have to be on the skinniest of shoestrings. I particularly like the floor of the third photo.

• rinq

Pick up some blue from the artwork (ceiling!) and use rubbed bronze or gunmetal fixtures and taps. Bronze/steelgrey/dark wood frame around Moby. Wide plank vinyl, warm color to counterbalance the navy. White walls and shower curtain.

Tried to find images with navy ceilings

(and came across a classical bathroom I also liked)

• Sonia

Sam, I love white. It really shows off wood beautifully too. I have sheet vinyl in my bathroom and it’s great, warm underfoot, easy to clean and completely non slip. Mine is a wood effect, but I so want to change it to a Moroccan tile pattern, one day..........I recently bought some cheap and cheerful towels from Primark and they are lovely. You don’t have to spend a fortune to make a room look good. Charity shops are brilliant for home stuff. So, paint it white. lay flooring then accessorise with things you love.

Personally I would concentrate on getting the storage right first. Will the glass tinted cabinet fit under the window? Could you move the basin to the wall opposite the door so there is more wall space for storage? Could you buy an inexpensive vanity to replace the basin- I like the IKEA Hermes range.

Separately I would be considering new tiling. Metro tiles are inexpensive and will bring it right up to date, the original tiles will probably come off easily or you can tile over what you have considering your talents everywhere else I think tiling will be easy for you.
    I would also add some architrave around the window and deep skirtings to make it feel more like a period home. I would then find a light but patterned flooring you like paint the walls and the skirting boards a deep color- I would choose grey. Then I would add an opulent curtain and a fern and fresh towels. If the budget will stretch brass taps would look awesome with a deep colored scheme.

• obobble

Sam, What are you using to get stickers off? I’m a big fan of Lakeland’s sticky stuff remover.

• obobble

The linen cupboard would look nice unpainted on the outside, but with the inside painted white. It would make the colours of the contents pop. I always think blue teams well with wood. You could pick up the blue from the picture as suggested above. I used water resistant T&G style mdf to make a bath panel, as I think it goes with a traditional vibe.

• Sam Potter

Rinq, ooh I do like the blue ceiling. Good call on changing the picture frame to a dark colour too.
    Jonathan, I like your ideas a lot, but fear the budget won't allow most of them. Re metro tiles, I think square ones are on their way back in, so I'll live with what's there for now. I do plan to shift the basin towards the bath, and I'll keep an eye out on freecycle for a piece of storage furniture and a sink I could make a vanity from. I can't put storage under the window as there's a radiator in the way, but I think it'll look good across the wall facing the door. I love the idea of adding window architrave and taller skirting. I'll definitely do this.

• Sam Potter

Obobble, so far my daughter has just peeled off the stickers while she's in the bath. Steam helps! I love the idea of painting the inside of the cupboard, though not sure how much will show once it's stuffed with linen. A big edit is needed!
    Victoria I LOVE that shower curtain, might have to ask for it for Xmas ;-)

• Sam Potter

Obobble forgot to say, tongue and groove is what I was thinking for the bath panel too. What do people reckon on matching it to the ceiling colour? Ie blue? Or should I keep it white and let the floor and ceiling and dark wood cupboard get the attention?

• rinq

Perhaps add some legs under the bookcase with some extra shelves below and/or above, to put your baskets and such. Something like a console table. Or 2 ikea Fjällbo coffee tables side by side?

You could even find another cabinet to place the bookcase on. Paint it charcoal for example. (or does it have a base already?) Some simple black kitchen cabinets (flat doors) would be fun too. Nice and eclectic ;) (make sure to secure the top firmly to the wall)

• Patrina

Sam, I love the that you plan your bathroom reno around that pic and cupboards. I think it has so much potential. I also like Sonia's suggestions. That door is fab, your home is so interesting really enjoy seeing your posts.

• Sam Potter

Rinq that's not a bad idea about adding a base.i I've still got to pick the cupboard up (it's a Freecycle job). It's massive, 2.2 metres long, so it would need a very sturdy base, buts it's worth thinking about. Plus there's the TINY matter of either knocking out the corner chimney breast (will the chimney fall off? ) or creating a false wall and putting the cupboard in front of it. adding a base.i I've still got to pick the cupboard up (it's a Freecycle job). It's massive, 2.2 metres long, so it would need a very sturdy base, buts it's worth thinking about. Plus there's the TINY matter of either knocking out the corner chimney breast (will the chimney fall off? ) or creating a false wall and putting the cupboard in front of it.

Rinq that's not inq that's not a bad idea about adding a base.i I've still got to pick the cupboard up (it's a Freecycle job). It's massive, 2.2 metres long, so it would need a very sturdy base, buts it's worth thinking about. Plus there's the TINY matter of either knocking out the corner chimney breast (will the chimney fall off? ) or creating a false wall and putting the cupboard in front of it. adding a base.i I've still got to pick the cupboard up (it's a Freecycle job). It's massive, 2.2 metres long, so it would need a very sturdy base, buts it's worth thinking about. Plus there's the TINY matter of either knocking out the corner chimney breast (will the chimney fall off? ) or creating a false wall and putting the cupboard in front of it. bad idea about adding a base.i I've still got to pick the cupboard up (it's a Freecycle job). It's massive, 2.2 metres long, so it would need a very sturdy base, buts it's worth thinking about. Plus there's the TINY matter of either knocking out the corner chimney breast (will the chimney fall off? ) or creating a false wall and putting the cupboard in front of it. adding a base.i I've still got to pick the cupboard up (it's a Freecycle job). It's massive, 2.2 metres long, so it would need a very sturdy base, buts it's worth thinking about. Plus there's the TINY matter of either knocking out the corner chimney breast (will the chimney fall off? ) or creating a false wall and putting the cupboard in front of it.

• rinq

How long is the wall? (2.15?) And how deep the recess?

(Same type of situation here, chimney breast in my son's bedroom, only logical place to put a bed, turns out the wall is 2005 mm..)

Would not chop away a chimney breast, it needs to be studded.. (we did so on the attic), perhaps take out a piece of cupboard instead?

• Sam Potter

Rinq that's sensible advice. It seems silly to lose 20cm of my bathroom just to fit a cupboard in, plus I'd have to make a stud wall and might as well put that money towards a roofer dismantling the chimneys and making good the roof. But as funds are non existent atm, cutting a chunk out of the cupboard or pulling it forward of the build out is perhaps better at this stage. Perhaps I can deconstruct the cupboard and use the doors and shelves around a frame built around the chimney breast.
    Apologies for whatever happened to my previous post. I went on the mobile site to correct a typo and the whole thing kept duplicating itself. Houzz has some weird glitches.

• rinq

And if the cabinet is properly fixed to the wall the framework below only needs to carry the weight of it, any sturdy sidetable-ish piece of furniture would do. Industrial rack. Workbench.

• rinq

But an extra set of legs next to this would look off:

• Sam Potter

Rinq, true. I was gonna go that with my old kitchen table but I've decided to freecycle it instead. My aesthetic had changed. Blame Houzz!

• Sam Potter

Bathroom update :we finally got the monster cupboard into the house. Phew. It weighs a tonne. The van man said its the heaviest thing he's ever moved. We needed the help of a, random passing stranger (thanks, anonymous Eastern European man) and my neighbour. It's going to need disassembling to get it up the stairs. And the guy I freecycled it off has lost the keys so the first task will be to remove the back (lots of old fashioned iron screws), then remove the locks, then the doors, then the shelves. I hope it's worth it!

Try picking the locks first. They are probably not meant for security as it’s glass fronted

• E D

Yes, get one of your ’connections’ to pick it. :-)

But seriously Jonathan is right, it shouldn’t be too hard to open the lock.

We had a similar situation with a cupboard lock but were lucky to have a box full of old keys and lo and behold, found one that fitted.

• Sam Potter

In the criminal underworld, I am known as Sneaky Sam. I actually watched a YouTube video on lock picking last week, as someone in our office locked their laptop in a filing drawer and lost the key. Needless to say I was utterly unsuccessful, with both paperclips and safety pins.

• Sonia

Not like in the movies where a hair pin or paperclip does the job a treat! :-D

• Sam Potter

Didn't have a hair grip in the office. Will experiment at home and report back ;-)

• rinq

Breaking into the back and opening the doors by removing the locks from the inside sounds just as criminal. Remember to wear something inconspicuous.

• Sam Potter

Failed at the ole lock picking. But did find out that one door wasn't locked.

• rinq

ED, the box full of keys is the secret to successful cabinet burglary.

• Sam Potter

Well that escalated. Sorted key problem though ;-)

• Sam Potter

• Sam Potter

Well that escalated. On the plus side, I sorted the no keys problem

Well done you. I really admire your attitude to just get on with it

• Sam Potter

It's all gotta come out. At least it'll look awesome

Agreed- it always looks worse before it looks better.
    Have you finalised the plan?

• Sam Potter

I have an outline plan. White walls, new tiles and sanitaryware. Wall hung sink/vanity. Sheet vinyl with a B&W or blue & white tile design. Big brown cupboard, possibly with blue painted shelf backs. Possibly a blue ceiling. New towel rail to replace old radiator, which we'll reposition on the wall to the left of the door. Oh and I'll do the architrave/skirting thing you suggested. Moving the radiator will allow me to put big plants in front of the window, to screen the toilet from view when the bathroom door is open.
    I haven't decided on wall tiles yet. Shape, size or colour. But they'll be very cheap.

• obobble

Sam, you can jazz up plain white tiles with a panel of mosaics. Heres a couple of pics of my blue and white guest en suite. It’s small so difficult to get good pics but it should give you the gist.

• Sam Potter

Obobble, thanks you're giving me an idea about doing the shower wall tiles in a darker colour.

• Gabby

Sam - If you don't manage to get the shower curtain for Christmas... how about the poster instead? https://posterstore.co.uk/posters-prints/illustrations-abstract/the-whale-poster/ :-)

• Sam Potter

Minnie101 does it look like your inspo pic yet?

• minnie101

Oh wow you've done it again! Nobody could ever say you're work shy! I know who to come to if I want brick exposed :)