steve_hughes97

Advice regarding layout/concept of single storey extension

Steve Hughes
4 years ago

Hello,

We're at the early planning stages of designing a rear extension and i was wondering if anybody with more experience could offers ideas, advice or past experiences.

Essentially we are planning to extend towards the rear of the property (As we have a large patio approx 6m in depth) to add a more open plan feel to the property, increase its useability/value and to give our growing family space to spend time together. ( 1 child age 2 at present)

I've had some preliminary drawings completed as attached.

We are not married to any of the layouts/concepts/materials at present however we would like some roof lights to maintain light levels within the existing property.

We are really trying to confirm if this is the best use of space and there is a little concern regarding over-heating as the rear of the property is south facing.

We are aware we will have to locate a structural column somewhere within the extension.

We are also trying to retain a decent patio space.(We don't want to lose the whole patio.)

Thank you in advance for your help and ideas.

All comments welcome.

Steve

Comments (38)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.