meml35

Revive a small east facing garden!

meml35
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

I have a small east facing terraced garden which has been battered by building works. The garden measures 8m long x 5.2 wide. We have clay soil and an enormous but beautiful twisted willow which belongs to our neighbours but overhangs our garden and drops a huge amount of leaves on us. We back onto the tube line so have little control of our back fence and the weeds which creep over and under including hops, bind weed and ground elder.

We have small children who'd like to be able to kick a ball about so we are planning to get artificial grass. I like pottering around in the garden but I'd like something thats easy to maintain as we'll probably be renting our house out next year. I don't want too manicured a look and would prefer more wild flower garden but one that can be easily maintained.

I'd welcome any advice with regards to design - raised beds? climbers? if so, which ones? borders all round or just on either side? any small trees? We'd like a shed but not the one that can be seen in the picture.

Many thanks for any suggestions or advice