kristendr

Kitchen peninsula too close to door...

kristendr
9 September, 2019
last modified: 9 September, 2019

I’m wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to fix this...we’re buying a new build and customised our kitchen a little. I reviewed all the plans with the kitchen planner and we were supposed to have 60 cm of clearance between the end of our kitchen peninsula and the door between the living room and kitchen when the door is open.

Ive been to visit the site and the door looks way too close to the end of the peninsula. There definitely isn’t 60 cm of clearance, maybe more like 20 cm. It seems wrong if you’re walking from the living room into the kitchen to be immediately in front of the end of the counter like that. I know the placement of the peninsula in the 2D plans isn’t ideal, but we were kind of limited on the design with where to put appliances and things, so this seemed like the best layout available for the space and 60 cm seemed like it would be enough.

I am not sure why the plans have turned out different from the actual reality, unless the actual width of the kitchen is wrong.

If we can’t move the door, are there other options that might work better? we are having a 90 cm range cooker on the peninsula which isn’t there yet, but in the photograph you can see where the last cabinet unit would be in relation to the door once that is in. I really want to keep the range cooker in the plans.

if you see no solution- just how bad is it to have the door that close? The only alternative I can think of is a sliding barn or pocket type of door, but it still leaves me with having the counter very close to the doorway when you’re walking through...

Above are the plans I finalised with the kitchen planner.

and here are some digital images she sent me of what it is supposed to look like....I also dont understand why we dont have a double cabinet to the left of the window either unless she was given the wrong measurements as we clearly cannot fit one in the actual kitchen!

• rinq

That is tight!

Did the kitchen company measure your kitchen?

Have you measured it twice? And again?

I guess the countertop is already ordered too? Quartz or laminate?

Why did they not advise you not to place a range with a bar? Fragile..

• Gabby

I think it looks too tight....

Would you basically keep the door open all the time? if so, there's probably less advantage to changing it to a sliding one.. if you're going to open and close then maybe go for sliding? or can you have it opening the other way? so into the living room?

Neither make it less immediate when you step in, but at least you wouldn't have to shuffle round the door between that and the peninsular to get into the dining space?

Should spots be more over peninsula & directly above sink?

Your designer has tried to achieve a regular arrangement of the lights in relation to the room. There's often a conflict between what might look most balanced in the space and the most practical positions for lights. You should discuss the options with him/her. We usually position spotlights / downlights just in front of the edge of the countertop, so some of the light goes into the base units. We avoid a light directly over the sink, since you're usually casting a shadow over the sink. Here, the lights over the countertop appear to be very near the wall, perhaps to enliven the wall surface with scallops of light.

Do I add a peninsula to this kitchen?

Well friends.....there's been some developments! I tried out the idea of having a peninsula by moving my existing freestanding unit to the end of the run next to the bin. Although it is bigger than the small peninsula I was proposing I was interested to see how easy it was to live with. The answer is it wasn't! The ovens being the other side of it meant I had to dash round it to check things in the oven, turn the timer off, etc and I couldn't picture myself doing that all the time. (I do a lot of cooking.) Sadly I don't think at the minute we are up for a major reshuffle of units and ovens and I can't decide what we would do about the boiler unit as its right in the way of that end run. So.....back to original layout!

Clean, Modern Kitchen £25k too much to ask

Like everything yo pay your money and take your choice. Budget £2K fitting, £6k appliances, £4k quality worktops, £2K flooring and therefore you have £11k to spend on cabinets. Cheaper products (such as the ones mentioned earlier in the thread) likely have less cabinet options which means you end up accepting a tall slim door (to fill a gap) in the middle of horizontal lines of matching drawers, or you might not have a wide drawer unit available, or you may not be able to get a fold up door, limited cabinet choice sometimes means that your cant get a design that delivers your aspiration. When you pay more than entry level you are buying features that cost more to manufacture such as handleless systems, quality drawer inserts, lighting, and increased choice of door fronts. Having bought kitchens for many projects I think that you should be easily be able to get the look you want on your budget- let your kitchen showroom steer you towards their price group 1 and 2 doors rather than expensive veneers that will likely be out of budget and be upfront about your budget. I still vote Leicht.

Kitchen peninsula clearance - how big?

I think the gap as discussed previously on your other post, is big enough. You would be best to get your Kitchen designer to do a 3d render for you so that you can see it how it is and then make up your mind. I think aesthetically wise that if you have your peninsula across exactly half the space that it may look better, and not have a lot to do with the access size.
  • kristendr

I presume they measured things when they were building the house and the downstairs plans were sent to the ‘kitchen planner’. I haven’t measured it myself except today when I noticed the peninsula was further toward the door than I expected.

the original kitchen plans had gas cooker rings where the range is now, and had a tower unit with separate oven in the corner where my fridge will go. I didn’t think it was that big of a change to put a range cooker in instead with the cooker top being in the same location. why is it bad to have a range with a bar? I have seen a range on a peninsula in other kitchens before...it will also be an induction range so no reaching over open flames and stuff...

Similar idea to this

Perhaps I can get thinner cabinets surrounding the range so the peninsula doesn’t extend as far? Or do you see a way things could be rearranged? Maybe it’s possible to have it along the wall between the window and double doors?

we are going to do quartz worktops, but they haven’t been ordered yet as we‘re still sorting the cabinetry out....

It looks to me like the plan is correct but whoever told you that the space between the peninsula and the door would be a 750 door plus 600mm (total 1350mm) can’t measure- it even looks like it would only be about 1000mm.
    Consider flipping the door so it opens into the hall

• kristendr

would it be possible to shift the cooker to the space between the double doors and the back window? In the plans the window appears more to the right than it is in reality....in this photo it looks like it would fit, but then would you still have a peninsula of just counter space? And would that look odd/unbalanced with the placement of the sink? It will be a belfast sink. If the cooker would be better placed there, I’m not sure how hard it is to move the hood... or if that’s possible...

• kristendr

Spoken to builder who says he can order 2 200mm cabinets to be on either side of the cooker, rather than the 300 mom ones. This would give us 460 mm of clearance between the end of the door and the end of the worktop....does this seem like it would be enough?

ive been placing a piece of furniture in front of one of my doors in my current house to see how it would seem when opening a door and having 460mm clearance Because it’s hard to picture...it seems like a big improvement from just 26 cm and like it might be alright, but I’d like other opinions....

i was also considering how it how it might look to remove the cabinet on the left of the cooker altogether, and just have the one 200 or 300 mm on the end, which would give a clearance of 660 and 560 mm respectively (Kind of like the example photo above where the cooker is the first thing on the right angle of the peninsula)....thoughts?

• Gabby

I thought that you had to have 300mm beside a hob for safety in terms of handles etc? Or maybe that's only a recommendation?

• Ellie

I assume the design of the kitchen was based on just the floorplan they gave you? Any new build plans I have saw always have said something along lines of not to scale or not actual measurements.

I don't like that you walk into the peninsula, no matter the gap between door and unit, I think it could have been better

• Ellie

Another major... in your plan, your sink is central to the window.... in reality it doesn't look like that will be the case

OnePlan

I think going for the two 200mm cabinets will help . Also if the door can be changed to either open outwards or be replaced for a slider that too will help ( as long as it doesn't need to be a fire door - if so the slider is out)

• minipie

Oh goodness! What’s been built is clearly pretty different to the measurements the designer was working off. You can see the window is bigger and further left in reality than in all the mock ups. Where did the kitchen designer get her measurements?

As a first step you need some accurate measurements. If you can draw out a plan with the true dimensions of the room marked up, including window and door positions and sizes, we can help more.

As a minimum I would say, reduce the 900 corner cabinet to a 600 and accept it’s only accessible from the reverse ie under the breakfast bar. If possible I’d also swap the dishwasher to the right hand side of the sink and maybe insert a 200 unit to its left, I think that will make the sink more central to the window. And you’ll also need some deep end panels at each end of the peninsula to support the breakfast bar - you’ll see the photo you posted has these end panels.

OnePlan

Nb. Often with lots of plots of a similar size, just one design is created to suit multiple homes . This can be why it can be a bit different in real life to on the plans re window etc . But that’s not very fair in my opinion. Especially if you are being ‘sold’ what’s on the drawings .

• minnie101

Can I ask a really silly question, can you not just "lose" the door to the living room? I assume the living room is accessed from the hall too so it would also help with furniture placement in there too? (Or have I misunderstood the layout?!)

• kristendr

Ellie, that’s right about the sink. I noticed it as well and the builder said they made the windows larger than originally planned as the rooms were seeming a little dark. I think I’ll have to bring this up with him too...but i checked around houzz and some other sites and it seems like im not the first to have an off centre sink problem. I think it’ll be alright just being off to one side of the window as long as it’s not strattling the window and the wall, or am I being too optimistic and compromising too much here? I think swapping the dishwasher to the right still leave it off centre, but toward the left instead?

I’m a people pleaser and am having a hard time asking for too much to be changed because I don’t want to cause problems- but I know it’s our house and we’re spending all our savings on it too so I want it to be right. How hard would it be for them to move the sink with the plumbing already where it is And to have the dishwasher on the right?

minipie, I think that’s a really good idea...is this the gist of what you mean?

That could give us 30-40 cm more clearance so the edge of the door would be about 56 cm from the counter edge.

i think the plans are more or less correct except for the window...they have been terrible keeping me in the loop. I thought everything was sorted then saw how the window was bigger and there were no wall cabinets to the left...that was the first surprise!

also, we‘d Like to maximise the cabinet space....will it look odd if we just put a single cabinet on the wall to the left of the window with the double cabinet on the other side?

• kristendr

I like the swapping the 900 for 600 unit on the corner, with access only from the other side (that’s fine, I’ll store my waffle iron that I use twice a year there!) . Will it matter much if my oven door opens to the left in that corner, like if it can’t open 180 degrees so to speak and only about 90 degrees? We’ve ordered a rangmaster 90cm professional deluxe with induction hob. it has a grill and two oven cavities with the one on the bottom left of the cooker having a door that opens to the left....

• Laura Ford-Thomas

Did you sort out the cupboard to the left of the window?
    In your plans, it lines up with the pan drawers below, but that won’t be possible as the pan drawers extend beneath the window.

I have range and you do have to open the doors past the 90degrees in order to alter the shelves, although mine don’t open that much further, certainly nowhere near 180.

I really wouldn’t worry about asking questions and trying to get it changed, you are going to have to live with it. It is the little details like symmetry and cabinets lining up that can make the difference. I’d rather a well fitted cheap kitchen, than a poorly fitted expensive one.

• rinq

Range towards corner: You'll need at least 10cm (preferably more left of the range towards the corner. Better for the kitchen doors (heat) and better for the cook (pulling things out of the oven).

Sink placement: could you start on the left with the 80cm cabinet with doors? And have the drawers between the corner and sink? Swapping sink and dishwasher looks like a whole project on it's own, but drilling some new holes in the back of the sink cabinet won't hurt.

Fragile countertop: If the countertop is strengthened with aluminum bars it's probably going to hold up, but the only support it can get at the back of the range is from the panel that goes behind it.

Does your range come in 80cm width too? I would not choose a 20cm cabinet next to it, for next to it is an aisle.

• Gabby

Definitely don't feel bad... it seems like madness that they can plan something day in day out and not realise the implications like the door!

You could add a 50/100mm filler panel between the cupboard and the oven, whilst I realise this then reduces the space near the doorway, you would at least be able to fully open the oven door hopefully!

Can you go and see the oven in a showroom? Take a piece of cardboard with you so you can have it right next to it and see how much it limits the door compared to if it's a little further away? If it stops you being able to put in a big baking tray, then it won't work day to day, plus I imagine you'll end up trying to keep the door open as far as you can with your arm/leg/whatever whilst you put things in and out...

If you don't need that door into the living room, then you could have storage on that wall and maybe lose the bar? putting the oven on the same wall as the sink?

what I would say is don't let them rush you. As you say, it's a lot of money... and one of the most expensive rooms (the most) if you decide you want to redo it because it's impractical to live with.

• kristendr

sheesh I thought with a rectangular shaped kitchen things would be simple! This is definitely a learning process!

I think if if we Switched to the 600 mm cabinet instead of the 900 corner unit we’d have to have a 50 mm ’filler’ unit or something to allow the over door to open enough....hopefully I can get him to just hold off on putting more things in until it arrives so we could see how it works....I have such limited time outside of work and don’t have a job I can just swing an hour off from to go to showrooms and thints, so I just ordered the range cooker online after reading reviews. They all seem to come in either 90, 100 or 110 cm, so I just went with the smallest ‘standard’ one.

when we first reserved the house I asked if I could modify the kitchen a bit, specifically put a range cooker in. He said no problem (it’s a small local developer, not one of the big companies) and that I could work out all the plans with their kitchen planner....I spent about 2 hours with her and went through a lot more emailing her back and forth to get it right...some good that’s done!

im thinking the range cooker along the wall won’t work either unless I lose the peninsula thing altogether because there’s not enough room- which would sacrifice a load of counterspace....unfortunately we need the door to the living room otherwise there’s no way between the kitchen and living room without going outside! The ground floor layout is below although the kitchen plans have since been updated...

• Eileen Nixon

Stop stressing so much, just get the kitchen designer back and show her what she has designed isn’t going to work, she has made a mistake, tell her to fix it.

kristendr thanked Eileen Nixon
  • Emmanuelle

Agree with Eileen... don’t make rushed decisions. Ask the kitchen designer to measure again. Can they hold the kitchen fitting for 2-3 days while things are finalised?

• kristendr

Yes, I think they are holding off on things until I make a decision. The kitchen planner isn't really much use...she's not a person we're paying separately or anything, she just works for the building supply company I guess and uses the computer software to generate the mock ups...she didn't seem to have any clever ideas about how to arrange things differently...

The builder pointed out that he could move the cooker closer to the wall and further from the door using a smaller cabinet unit on the corner, but said we might have to lose the wall cabinet then as the hood would be quite close to it and he thinks it would look weird. So I guess the dilemma is having the peninsula too close to the door or lose the wall cabinet and give up the extra space that provides....?

He also says he can change the door round to have it open into the living room instead, but it still feels weird to me coming through the doorway and being so immediately greeted by the counter...

• kristendr

Here are some photos of where the last unit would be in relation to the door and the hood in relation to the wall cabinet. I’m leaning toward leaving it as is to keep the wall cabinet and avoid the over door not opening far enough issue and just having the door open to the living room or getting the sliding barn door type of thing... but iod like others’ opinions as I’ve no experience with any of this!

The third one is where the unit is if we get rid of the larger 900 unit in favour of a 600 with a small gap on the corner ...

• rinq

Preferably add a side panel (25mm thick) to support the countertop (and not look onto the cabinet's toekick on the side). Does your range have closed legs? If not, some side panels there would be nice too, but not necessary.

• Alicja Hughes

Regarding fragile countertop on the bar end you can support it at the back by using a wooden bracket. I have small range in my peninsula with the breakfast bar behind it. We used quartz worktop and had a wooden bracket made which works fine.

kristendr thanked Alicja Hughes