kristendr

Kitchen peninsula too close to door...

kristendr
last year
last modified: last year

I’m wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to fix this...we’re buying a new build and customised our kitchen a little. I reviewed all the plans with the kitchen planner and we were supposed to have 60 cm of clearance between the end of our kitchen peninsula and the door between the living room and kitchen when the door is open.

Ive been to visit the site and the door looks way too close to the end of the peninsula. There definitely isn’t 60 cm of clearance, maybe more like 20 cm. It seems wrong if you’re walking from the living room into the kitchen to be immediately in front of the end of the counter like that. I know the placement of the peninsula in the 2D plans isn’t ideal, but we were kind of limited on the design with where to put appliances and things, so this seemed like the best layout available for the space and 60 cm seemed like it would be enough.

I am not sure why the plans have turned out different from the actual reality, unless the actual width of the kitchen is wrong.

If we can’t move the door, are there other options that might work better? we are having a 90 cm range cooker on the peninsula which isn’t there yet, but in the photograph you can see where the last cabinet unit would be in relation to the door once that is in. I really want to keep the range cooker in the plans.

if you see no solution- just how bad is it to have the door that close? The only alternative I can think of is a sliding barn or pocket type of door, but it still leaves me with having the counter very close to the doorway when you’re walking through...

Above are the plans I finalised with the kitchen planner.

and here are some digital images she sent me of what it is supposed to look like....I also dont understand why we dont have a double cabinet to the left of the window either unless she was given the wrong measurements as we clearly cannot fit one in the actual kitchen!