sarauk83

How do I makeover this fireplace

sarauk83
4 years ago

Just bought a house, and it has a fireplace in the living room. I want to keep the actual fire itself, but I don't like the surround, the hearth, or the wooden mantle!

The wooden mantle should be easy enough to remove, but I've been warned that the surround and hearth are likely to be cemented in place, and there's no way to know what damage might be done to the fire and the wall/floor during the removal process!

With a whole house to renovate, I don't want to create any extra work/cost if I can help it!

Any suggestions? I want a 1930s look, so am keeping an eye out for an original 30s mantle on eBay etc, and thought of maybe tiling the surround and hearth? Or will that just look bulky and odd?

The metal thing around the fire has to stay (it's hiding the screws that secure the fire to the surround), but it's removable and I could replace with a brass version maybe?

Any suggestions? Anyone done anything similar?

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.