kerry_blackman

Bedroom help- too small to go to the dark side?!

Kerry B
4 years ago

Comments (32)

• Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• rinked
    4 years ago

How about sleeping in a tunnel?

Industrial Bachelor Pad · More Info

;)

I'd say go for it! Cozy! What size is it? What needs to fit in there?

Kerry B thanked rinked
  • Related Discussions

Small 3rd bedroom design help

Q

Comments (15)
    So after much deliberation I decided to ditch any colour on the walls and keep it white. family opinions were that it looks larger white. I've switched some of my design from my other bedroom over and the room will now have an ivory carpet (being fitted today and never walked on again! Lol) and has a theme of black & white stripes with gold and yellow accents. Hopefully it will be striking enough for a white walled room. Once the bed is up this week I will post some photos!
    ...See More

Bedroom painted too dark.

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Danielle I am not sure the the two colors you have mentioned will blend well. I fear the Coral Cluster might be too dark in a north facing room. I would try a feature wall with a light pink like this in the link https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-palettes. However there is no harm in buying sample testers for both colors plash them on the wall and see which one is the best option. Have you thought about bright the room up with a mirror and other items like metallic frame? I hope it is of help
    ...See More

Dark Bedroom Help

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Marc, Can you send pictures of the design and room in its current state?
    ...See More

What curtains and small sofa to go with bedroom?

Q

Comments (5)
    I love all the green! and would definitely stick with that wallpaper. Bedding and curtains is a good opportunity for some cream or ivory tones to lighten the room, maybe some textured linen? Sofa could be different again - if you're feeling bold, a copper velvet would tie in with the walls. otherwise ivory will always look smart.
    ...See More
  • rinked
    4 years ago

Bagaregården, Waernsgatan · More Info

Kungshöjd, Arsenalsgatan 12 · More Info

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I would think the aspect of the room is more crucial than the size. You could have the darker wall behind the bed and leave the rest off white maybe? Like this:

Kerry B thanked Sonia
  • Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both for the replies. I originally thought just the blue behind the bed, but this would need to be the window wall, so the remaining walls would be white/grey, which wasn’t the look I was after. So badly want to do it, but don’t want to make an already narrow room feel more narrow! So confused!

• Ella Smith
    4 years ago

Having pale bedding and dark walls might make it look bigger? I would go for it but be really canny about furniture and linens.

Kerry B thanked Ella Smith
  • Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I think as well it depends what and when you're going to use the room for.

A room people only ever see when going to bed with the lights on anyway it probably won't matter too much with good lighting (that sample pic has loads of lights and the mirrors)

if you're going to use the room a lot during the day then It may be more important to create a lighter room, unless you're happy to always turn on the lights regardless of the time of day/night.

I think if you want to go for it, you should and at least you can always repaint it if needed!

Kerry B thanked Gabby Wong
  • Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It Will be our master bedroom so o let us that really see it. Perhaps time to stop listening to family’s opinions and go for it....?!?

• Emmanuelle
    4 years ago

I would go for it! Would make it really cosy... but add bright linen, art... etc... I love this bedroom with the colourful bed spreads...

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Definitely don't 'not do it' just because family are telling you you're crazy... lol it's definitely going to be for you guys, not anyone else...

However there is always a small chance (like any time someone chooses a paint colour) that you'll finish it and be like... nope! that was a bad decision! and need to change it (just look at Sonia's latest post https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/5788206/what-was-your-worst-decorating-disaster#n=40 )

• Sonia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It’s only paint, so can be changed at relatively little expense. We’ve all been at that “What was I thinking” moment, so don’t worry! I agree if you keep the bedding, curtains and furniture light it will prevent it looking too dark.

• rinked
    4 years ago

One blue wall is nice, but a full blue room might be more soothing.

• rinked
    4 years ago

More inspiration and paint effects

• rinked
    4 years ago

Kerry B thanked rinked
  • Eileen Nixon
    4 years ago

Try matching large mirrors on either side of the wall next to the window just make sure they don’t go lower than the height of your bed. Not sure about that fierce blue paint I think that colour would come running towards you every time you opened your bedroom door! Try leaving the room white for a while until you have decided how you want to match lighting, flooring, bedding, rugs, blinds or curtains and then get your mood board and choose the colour of paint to fit!

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    4 years ago

If I had a choice I wouldn’t put the head of the bed against the radiator. For a good night rest you need to keep the head cool and your feet warm. In this situation you’d have an opposite effect. And a draft from the window and the door might create an issue. If there is a chance to place the bed parallel to the window wall, it would be mush better for the feel in the room, even if you only have one side to access the bed. If this is not an option, the issues with the draft and the radiator can be addressed.

• rinked
    4 years ago

What size is the room?

• rinked
    4 years ago

Story: My OH had an apartment when we met, all white (he's slightly colorblind, so white was safe). It had quite a long narrow hallway (7 doors) without any decoration. When I moved in I painted the back wall and the door in it black. It made the hallway look even longer, but it brought some life into it.

Conclusion: Perhaps paint both side walls a midnight blue (nearly black) to make the room look wider? Cool colors retract optically.

• Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone. Really good advice and ideas. The room is 5.4 metres long, and 2.4 metres wide (both walls have windows) I went out today and was looking for flooring. See some nice grey/white wood effect floor. Maybe that may help. just trying to find some reclaimed , light furniture that would go with it. only seem to like dark at the moment!

• rinked
    4 years ago

Could you post a photo of the other side of the room too please? I'd like to see the door and other window :)

• rinked
    4 years ago

Crazy idea?

Place the bed halfway the room against the wall, paint both bed, dresser, section of wall and ceiling the same blue. For storage space I added a closet and some cupboards around the window. Imagine a radiator cover with plenty of grilles and a storage bench in front of it.

Of course real materials would look 100x better than my mockup..

Kerry B thanked rinked
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    4 years ago

No room is too small for dark colours, do the ceiling as well in the same colour -makes the room seem taller and larger. Dark blue, accentuate with gold looks fantastic - just done my bedroom the same. Two different choices.

Kerry B thanked Ensign Accessories
  • Tani H-S
    4 years ago

I have two downstairs bedrooms and north facing and I did one all white (currently my office with white floors, furtniture and walls and it’s so depressing!) and the other with a grey blue chinney wall.
    I’m not going to paint the larger room all dark blue grey (F&B off black) except the window wall (bed faces the window) to create a cosy feeling as I can’t fight the light.
    My office I will end up putting some bright tropical floral print I think to accent it ...
    So basically go for it! If you can’t have bright natural light then go dark and cosy

Kerry B thanked Tani H-S
  • Robin Turner
    4 years ago

I have two small bathrooms with no natural light whatsoever. I embraced this and painted the walls and ceiling in a deep dark blue. it feels very calm and tranquil. Just go for it! if you don't like it you just buy a different tin of paint!

Kerry B thanked Robin Turner
  • Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi everyone, thank you for all the comments and advice. We have decided to go for it! Must admit we bith said ok, lets jut do grey and whites.. but I see farrow and ball paint Stifkey blue and just couldn't get the original idea out of my head! Family think we're crazy.. but I don't mind. And if it does look small, who cares! It's our bedroom!

orderEd some new flooring, wood effect wallpaper (for one window wall) and furniture! Bit of a wait on furniture- 4 weeks.. but soon as it's all done I will post pictures! Thanks everyone for giving me the confidence to do it!

just have to order some curtains etc now- although thinking pale cream wooden blinds??

• Sonia
    4 years ago

That’s great Kerry, exciting! I think an off white wooden blind would look good. Cream can look a bit dingy and I think a bright white will look really fresh, especially if you decide on white bedding. You could have curtains, but as the window is quite small I agree blinds would be better. I know the pic below isn’t a bedroom but I think it shows how good navy and white are together.

Kerry B thanked Sonia
  • Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looks lovely thank you. Yes think will go for a soft white. I can't wait to get started now!

• Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well as promised here is an update! we went for it... and must say we absolutely loved it from the moment the roller hit the wall. So pleased we did it and having dark corners does really seem to push the walls out and makes it feel bigger than it is. Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice !

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I love it! Looks fantastic and that mirror is stunning! Can I ask where it’s from?

Kerry B thanked Gabby Wong
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

Looks great, so cosy. Well done!

• Kerry B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure. it’s by West Elm, bought from John Lewis. Expensive- but worth the investment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.