webuser_71660

awkward loft room door to main bedroom

Tani H-S
4 years ago

Hi all!
Been quiet for a while as had a break from the house to work on our campervan as went on holiday in it!
So now summer is officially over (BOO) I’m starting to think about more diy

Our main bedroom is upstairs (an original room) and the main entrance door is just weird. Can’t remove it as nowhere to put a door upstairs (need one for fire safety) but the top of it means people have to duck under when coming down the stairs.
Also coming down, the handle is too low as the door is against the bottom step so you have to bend low to open it or open it with your foot as I regularly do, ha ha.

We can’t bring the door forward because the door to the right of it (in the photo) is a bedroom and on an angle so the angle will change and it will mean a standard or slim door won’t fit!)

So the only option I can see (which still won’t resolve the low door handle!!) is to put a much taller door in so it raises the head height (above is stud so can be altered) phew.
However, it will look odd being a completely different height to the other doors as the tops all run together. Bah. Also I could move the door handle up on the outside (also look odd??)

My only other idea is to make it look like a bookshelf or end of hall wall with either book wallpaper or a hall mirror hanging on it and narrow shelving (can’t make it too heavy or have anything that will fall off etc)

What do you think?? Any other ideas??

Thanks!!

Ps pics show the door as the one in front straight on. Left door is the lounge and the angled one is a second bedroom.

Comments (40)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.