lucygoodman

Dinesen Douglas Fir Floor - am I mad to contemplate?

Lucy Goodman
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've fallen in love with this floor and I have have have to make a decision like NOW! It's torture! I've turned into Indecision Queen! It's not just the lovely width (although we'd go with 300mm rather than 450 as it works better with layout, but the extra long planks which we'd end up being able to really see from one end of the house to the other, at a couple of points. And its the colour and the pinky grain - swoon! But and its a really big big But! It means it has to come from Dinesen on an articulated truck over from Denmark at great expense not to mention the fit, finish and maintenance. Would love to hear from someone who has actually gone through this. Was the cost and pain worth it? Did the floor keep looking great a few years down the line? Do you still love it? Or do you regret it?

I can't quite believe we're even contemplating it given our budget, let alone the maintenance. We are not celebrities or private jetters!! This would be a big ticket item in our massive, already costing more than we'd hoped, renovation. There's the installation cost which is way above a standard engineered floor cost because of the sanding and wash finish. Then there's the first year's weekly wash with soap & lye (there's an exhausting video) and then every month for like FOREVER! Or you go the oiled route but risk dents not coming out without a major sand job. Why would any 'normal' person contemplate this?

Because it's so utterly gorgeous that's why! It has such character and nothing else seems to stack up against it. Groan! Or have I somehow become soap & lye brainwashed?! In second place is Engineered Ash and I've seen this on an architects (Hogarth Architects) website while googling, looking rather stunning. But can't help feeling there's a fair gap between the two woods. It seems like one is the Rolls Royce and the other? Dunno - poshish Audi? Or is that unfair? Am I bonkers to even contemplate this without Charles Saatchi depth pockets or an army of staff to maintain? Or is the pain worth it because you can't stop loving it, it makes everything else on or around it look gorgeous and you can kid yourself it's an investment , a statement piece that keeps its value if you ever sell?

Be brave someone and give me the unvarnished truth? But can it be someone with real experience of having this seductive floor! Or someone who's client has this floor and is still happy 3 years later and doesn't have large gaps or cracks in it? Or something like that anyway. Not someone just trying to sell me their own product if that's not too rude to ask.

Thank you. :-)

Comments (22)

• Jasmina N
    4 years ago

Go to the Saatchi gallery to see how it performs in high traffic areas after number of years.

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Yes we did this early on which served to truly embed my love for it!! However apparently they soap and lye it every day and have a maintenance team retained who do a lot. The fitter we would use (best quote) also fitted it. Also had competitive wood flooring companies giving me maintenance horror stories but because of the potential bias,difficult to know how true these are. So although lovely (as was the art!!!) not sure a return trip will swing the decision at this point. Thank you.

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Other suppliers do do it although not in the lengths that Dinesen do (although I’ll check Ted Tod). Yes have sample (gorgeous) and have also been to Dinesen in the Coal Yard to see and talk which was helpful. But would just love to hear from someone who has it rather than is selling it or another, to get a real owners perspective. Gosh it’s tough! I hate indecision! I’m going to try ringing an architect I fiundvon Lime who put it in his own, child filled home together with Hogarth who have lovely example of 2nd voice (engineered ash) on their site and see if that helps clarify at all. Thank you again for commenting.

• sugarbowl17
    4 years ago

Hey there! I almost bought this Douglas Fir flooring too but supplier said a harder wearing and equally beautiful alternative was engineered ash with the same saatchi finish. So we choose the latter and a year on (in a busy home with children and dogs) we’re really pleased with it. Supplier we used was engineered wood flooring x

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. That’s exactly who we’ve been talking to re engineered Ash. They warned us off the Douglas Fir. That’s so good to hear that you love the ash.

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    4 years ago

We supply Douglas fir, Ash, Oak up to 15 metres long from Germany or more manageable 4 metres long from Italy in a variety of finish including Dinesen finish.

Dinesen floors do look fantastic but are very expensive and require a lot of maintenance, especially douglas fir. The problem with DF is that it tend to turn light red or pinkish and needs a lot of lye and regular maintenance to stay white.

It's like having an expensive car. Enjoy it but be ready to spend more to take care of it.

There are obviously many alternatives including Ash but especially oak that can be white oiled or even varnished.

our douglas fir looks great though

Feel free to get in touch for a no obligation quote.

• ianthy
    4 years ago

Hi I’m in the same place ... love Dinesen but I don’t have the budget. Did you find a more cost effective alternative? Thanks.

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry to take so long to reply! But here's the answer! Got tired of answering my beloved friends questions of "how's it going" and "what did you decide?" and thought it would be quicker to just instagram it (only I'd never done that before!). Now that's rather expanded and I'm about to launch a vlog on instagram so I can say it just the once! It was a completely torturous decision but then I find every decision that has a large price tag torturous! Hence the vlog as that's another way when I get stuck and I can just ask everyone else! Wood arrives in January so I'll no doubt post another one of these on it then if its of interest. It'll be on @happyhomes_lucy Apart from anything I'm dying to see how they get these incredibly long bits of wood through the house or even down the street for that matter!

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flooring Decision finally made!!!

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK for some reason this site isn't letting me upload vido link. Will keep trying!

• Richard Isaacs
    3 years ago

Hi Lucy. We are having the exact same dilemma. Just stumbled across your post and it so rings true. So you went for Douglas Fir in the end? How’s it been over the last 7 months? Labour of love? We are worried about the dings and dirt compared with something like ash, esp when we put the sample board through its paces! But nothing comes close to it...

• Rowland
    3 years ago

hi Lucy,

if the budget fits you should go for it!! it is a superb product and cannot be really matched. I have worked on commercial projects with the dinesen floor and it does wear well and you can certainly tell the difference in quality with other so called flooring that is pushed as a match.

best

Rowland

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Rowland
    We went for it and we love it. It is just beautiful. It has a warmth and depth to it that it’s competitor, Ash just did not have. But is it a pain in the whatsit? Yes. Our builders got delayed so far more work has had to be done post installation. Ughhh! It means we installed and covered but have to keep taking the temp cover off to wash it. We’ve got quicker at the washing but we’ve got a lot of it. So this is not for the faint hearted unless the faint hearted are fabulously wealthy with minions to do all the floor washing! But honestly, as expensive and laborious as it is, we still wouldn’t have it any other way. We just live the look. Will post some pictures when I get a chance.

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That should have said ‘we just love the look’. I wish we just ‘live’ the look but we hadn’t moved in yet!!! Rowland you’re welcome to ring me if you want more as I found the decision agonizing. But for us it’s right.

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah just realised this should have gone to Richard. Not Rowland!

• Richard Isaacs
    3 years ago

Thanks Lucy. I notice you live in London. We’re in Dorset and currently undergoing renovation/extension. Very kind offer for us to call. My wife would actually love to. We also saw you went Lusso stone bath - snap! Suspect you guys have rather similar tastes. Can’t quite see how to DM you. What would be the best way to contact you without leaving any personal details online?

Best wishes Richard.

Lucy Goodman thanked Richard Isaacs
  • Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey Richard,

Sounds like we do indeed. Happy to share and we might able able to swap useful notes!

I've just had a quick google on how to send a message in Houzz as I hadn't got a clue!

"Click on the profile, there should be a message tab on the top right of their page. If there isn't one, they have set their profile to not receive messages. In which case they need to go to their settings, click on advanced settings and check the boxes for people they are willing to receive messages from. "

I've done this for you but I think you don't have messages enabled. I've just tweeked mine but I think you may need to tweak yours then we can swap contact details!

To send a message to another member of Houzz:

• Click your icon or go to 'Your Houzz' at uppper right.
    • Click 'Edit Profile'
    • Click 'Advanced Settings' on the left bar
    • Scroll almost to the bottom to 'someone messages me'
    • Click 'everytime'
    • When you receive a message Houzz will will send you an email saying you have received a message.
    • Go to 'Your Houzz' The link will be within the email
    • Click 'Messages' and you can read and reply all within Houz.

Both sender and recipient have to enable messaging for this to work.

• Matthew Suggitt
    3 years ago

Hi all, Are there UK stockists of actual Dinesen? Ted Todd's is engineered. Thanks

• Martin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've had a kitchen image saved for ages and always wondered what the floor was, now I know! Looks amazing

• abmccaughey
    3 years ago

Dear Lucy, I just came across your thread and I am in exactly the same position - I have had my heat set on the dinesen floor for years and I have to make a decision asap. Pls send me your instagram so I can have a look a your result and perhaps ask a few questions? i would be so grateful, thank you in advance. I am amandataylorlondon on insta. I really hope we can connect thank you :-)

• roma buckley
    last month

Hi Lucy We are looking at installing Dinese Douglas floors and would love to see how your floor is holding up now ? We have three kids and a dog so will take a lot of wear also but like you love these floors. Thank you Roma

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.