webuser_492169662

Any one like to help/advise/style my (hopefully) new living room?

I am struggling to plan design details for a house we're in the process of buying. We've had offer accepted and legals are underway but when we complete, we'll then need to get some renovation work done quickly. I've done a bit of practical/building work, and "how we live" thinking but I also want to think about design and colour details.

I'm open to the idea of paying for professional help but I'd also appreciate any guidance about how to get started. I'm focusing on my living room right now but will work through the whole house as it's likely to be a forever home.

About me/us: I'm a big fan of industrial/midcentury European styles, but I also like some pared back classical themes. We're middle aged but trying desperately to hang onto "cool" while still being comfortable/cosy! We work full-time and have three lumbering teenage/adult young men at home, with all their tech needs. We have lots of books and we're constantly battling clutter/mess and failing. I need light, warmth and texture in my new house and it needs not to be too full of "knick-knackery" but well chosen, meaningful detail: I'm of the age and salary where I'd rather buy one really good rug, painting or piece of art glass that will last me a lifetime, than refresh with fashionable stuff every 5 years etc. But I'd see myself as closer to urban than, ahem, suburban in outlook. Anyone fancy helps by me get started?

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.