webuser_71660

(another) HALLWAY painting post

Tani H-S
4 years ago

Started a new thread as my old one about my hallway was mainly focused on the end door which we are leaving for the moment.

So now we have finally had the flooring done (LVT which matches our lounge!) whoop, it’s time to start thinking about painting!

Internal hallway of a bungalow - door marked ‘end’ leads upstairs with 2 bedroom doors to the right and a new lounge door to the left (will eventually have glass above it)

It’s generally quite dark in there but we will eventually replace the front door with one that has larger glass panes and I will add some mirrors and better lighting.

Questions:

1. not sure what colour to paint it all because the doors are weird and the architraves join together where the 3 doors are so I can’t just paint the skirt/architraves a dark colour. I also wanted to paint the ‘end’ door & wall in a dark colour but again, the architraves joins the next door so there is no obvious split.

2. should I go dark all over and just add a load of mirrors OR put a dado rail up and go dark at the bottom? (It’s a 30’s house and had it originally but we have no other dado rails in the house now)

3. as the porch area has an old door frame, should we visually shorten the hall by painting all the porch and frame in a dark colour and keep the rest light (or go from full dark to half walls)??

4. Colour wise I tend to veer towards the rich warm blues/greys and not keen on most other colours, ha ha. Not sure about neutrals in a dark area with artificial lights though ie as in tone wise.

**Wallpaper would be nice but I need time to decide and put it up so paint is the only option right now.

• more pics in comments!

Comments (110)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.