patrina_cossey

Wingback Recycle

Patrina

This summer I taught myself a new skill - Upholstery. This chair spent lots of years serving its proud owner who passed it on to her granddaughter. she didn't know what to do with it and was reluctant to ĺet it go to landfill. She was happy to sell it to my sister in law to use as a nursery chair. For me recycling wherever possible is very impartant. I hope that this chair will be around for a lot more years to come. I hope I did it justice.

• Sonia

Beautiful :-)

• Karen

Wow!! that looks amazing!!

• rachelmidlands

Fab work Patrina! Beautiful fabrics:-)

• E D

As said before, awesome!

• E D

Your sister in law must be well chuffed.

• Sue S

Love it. Good job.

• E D

Maybe share some ‘during’ photos too?

• Lena

It looks great. Well done!

What did you mean by saying that you taught yourself? You’ve learned how to do reupholstery by reading a book, or an article only?

• Patrina

@Lena no books literally just took my previous project apart took lots of pictures, bought replacements like the grippers for the back and pinhead strips and it turned out great. Blue chair is my first attempt. @ED some during pics for you. This chair was particularly difficult to take apart becsuse the fabric was starting to fall apart, the grippers were rusty and they all came off in bits.

• Patrina

PS thanks again for your kind comments :-)

• Lena

That’s impressive!

I have exactly the same Parker Knoll armchair as in your first picture. We keep using it, as I couldn’t justify spending £400-500 on a reupholstery service.

How long did the project take? Which sawing machine did you use - I imagine a simple one wouldn’t be able to deal with heavy velvet?

Really professional looking job and nice choice of fabrics- well done

• Anthony

Glad you started a thread on this:-) it looks fantastic, I can only imagine what’s involved! Often thought of taking an upholstery course, this makes me want to even more, we are doing our final bedroom Shortly and I’m thinking of making a bed! Lol will be covered in fabric so we will see.

• Patrina

@Lena it took me 2 weeks because getting off the old stuff was a bit of a struggle. It wasn't in the best condition and kept falling apart. My first project took 7 days. I bought silvercrest machine at Lidl 10 years ago see pic. However I may have to get it serviced as it gave up on me when I came to sew the seat. so all that is hand stitched. @Jonathan thank you. I love nice fabrics but this one is all my inlaws choice but I absolutely love her choices. @Beano with your eye for detail and how skilled you are I'm sure you will have no issues. On my xmas list this year is a better quality electric staple gun! (did I mention I love tools?) :-) PS I'm also eying up my perfectly good fabric upholstered headboard hehe :-)

• Maria Seminara

Very creative, bright and beautiful, well done ♡

• Patrina

Thanks @Maria Seminara the chair is now living it's second life in my nephew's nursery 😁

• Mary Mary

Looks amazing

• janet_allen8

Stunning! Love the materials & fantastic job. Didn’t realise you’d done the blue chairs too, talented 😊

• Patrina

@janet_allen8 yes the blue ones were the ones I taught myself to upholster on.they take pride of place in my office/reading room.

• janet_allen8

@Patrina that beautiful room 💗... makes me want to get brave with colour but am such a neutrals girl at heart!