lspendl828

Help with side tables and curtains

lspendl 828

New sofa was delivered 2 days ago - it's big but I love it!

Wanting new side tables but don't want too matchy with the coffee table (marble & glass). Any thoughts?

Also, should I change the curtains, which I know are very busy, for a self colour to tone in with the Roman blinds rather than match them? I want to keep the Romans for now until I rethink all the blinds in the room at some point in the future.

You've given me great advice in the past. Hopefully you'll work your magic again :-)

Thanks L

Might be duplicate post but first attempt seemed to disappear.

• Kazza None

Ooh,I just spotted the romans at the side window. Very nice. Just the verticals to go then.

lspendl 828 thanked Kazza None
  • lspendl 828

You've convinced me to keep the curtains! Thx :-)

Daisy, the side tables are oak at the mo. They're fairly big and I was thinking that if I swapped them for something a little bit smaller (but still big enough for a lamp) that it would give the sofa space to breathe. Maybe this is unnecessary?

The coffee table is newish - I like it. It's actually a lot bigger than it appears in the photo. Interestingly, (to me anyway!!) when I cleared the room ready for the sofa delivery I moved the coffee table into the conservatory and it really suited the space. I had wondered if that should be it's new home!

The blinds...yes I agree with all of you. I hate the verticals with a passion. Had Hillary's out last time I decorated but at 296cm wide, they said that pretty much the only option was a vertical unless I went with separate blinds on each pane. With 5 panes and therefore 5 separate control mechanisms I thought it would look way too messy. What would you do? ? Perfect fit type blinds?

5 separate romans? Or something else? I'd love your ideas.

HELP...I've been looking for the right curtains for almost a year!

Hello Ffion. As it was already mentioned above it is not recommendable to sleep with a window behind your head. Can you upload some more pictures of your bedroom? Just to have an idea how it is organised. I believe there is always solution ;). You can believe or not but your sleeping problems may be caused more by the placement of your bed then street lights. It is all about the energy flow in your room \ Marcin

Colour for bedside table chest of drawers and curtains

I'd go for brown bedside table! I think a grey bedspread could look great, and dark chocolatey bedside features could really give it the edge. Maybe something like this? You can work with or without the blue, though I think it does a lovely job of softening up the scheme.

Help us choose curtain colours for a sitting room?

Dear all, Thank you for your very helpful comments! I greatly appreciate it. My partner likes curtains (he always found curtains pretty and they would help with insulation as we have single glazed windows) although I also love the idea of blinds and see how curtains can crowd the place and get a bit lost behind the sofa. I think the idea of oatmeal curtains or blinds with a blue trim would be really lovely and I will definitely look into this. Do you mean a trim running the vertical length of the fabric? We had thin sheer white shades already that you can see now in the pictures. Carolina, it's great advice to make sure to get wider poles so the curtains flank the windows - I think this will make a big difference to open up the room. If we get curtains we would also probably replace the wooden poles with thin chrome poles. Bathroom Eleven, thank you also very much for recommending blue cushions to tie it all together and suggesting we switch the table direction. I followed your advice on both (I had gotten this cushion last week and didn't put it out yet) and I think it looks great! I will look at the links you sent. Thank you all very much again. Beks

does anybody know what side table that is?

Check ebay for Modern Sideboard / Cabinet / Bookcase in White High Gloss https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-Sideboard-Cabinet-Bookcase-in-White-High-Gloss-1-2-mtr-155/352206504820?_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D1a919920c9754adc85b028e35adf3051%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D351889068515&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985
  • lspendl 828

Here's the room from the other side:

• Sonia

i love your sitting room. It’s so cosy and homely. I just want to sink into that sofa with a good book or a movie on the tv! Love the curtains, sofa, Roman blind near the tv, as well as the coffee table. The side tables look good, but if you really want to change them, how about brass and glass? As you already know, those vertical blinds need to go. Far to officey for such a lovely room. Do you even need blinds there as you already have those lovely curtains?

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • AMB

I think Sonia's suggestions would suit the side table replacement. I would choose a silver or nickel finish to match the coffee table. Alternatively, you could paint the side tables. You have to get rid of the vertical blinds. They look awful and ruin all the good design. Why do you think you need them? You could just get a made to measure blind.

lspendl 828 thanked AMB
  • lspendl 828

I like the 2nd table you suggested Sonia but might go for a silver or black finish in something similar. For now though I'm going to leave the tables and switch focus to getting rid of the verticals. I already felt they were awful but now you've all confirmed it, I've got to do something about them NOW!

The window is so big that we feel very exposed without a blind. And even though my neighbours across the road are all lovely, I really don't want them to be looking at me lounging on the sofa when they're in their upstairs bedrooms :-)

AMB, Hillarys and John Lewis said that the window (at 296cm) is too big for a single wooden venetian blind (which is what I fancied having). I didn't like the idea of 5 separate blinds on the window but would this be better?????

What about having Perfect Fit blinds like you see in conservatories? Would they be inappropriate in a lounge??

• E D

No expert, but could a pair of blinds on either side (covering two windows each) and one in the middle work?

lspendl 828 thanked E D
  • lspendl 828

You've got me thinking ED. How about one blind over the middle three and one on each pane either side?

It's a bow window but not too curvy across middle three panes, maybe...

• E D

Yes, that might well work. Let‘s see what others think.

Didn’t realise the bow. Is it like a bay window?

lspendl 828 thanked E D
  • celerygirl

I would go with solid color drapes. I think they look more elegant. Pick any color from your roman shades for them.

lspendl 828 thanked celerygirl
  • Emma Lamb

Perfect fit blinds work in 2 ways. Either a bracket that fits behind your beading or if there isn't a gap them the blinds have to fit onto the window in their own separate frame, which can make your window panes look smaller. You could go for venetians on the 3 windows as Ed suggested. Or 3 Roman? depending on your budget you could go down the route of motorised so no messy strings etc. I would keep your curtains as they are and go for plain fabric/wood depending on which you choose.
    Little tip, when looking for blinds, go to an independent shop where the staff are far more knowledgeable and take greater care than large department stores or businesses. They tend to have more options available to them that they can offer you as well. Sorry, didn't mean for this to be so long! I got my waffle on lol. Good luck.

lspendl 828 thanked Emma Lamb
  • lspendl 828

ED, the window sill is straight, can't walk into a bay but the window itself curves outside :-)

celerygirl, that's fantastic - I'm liking the yellow a lot! Just need to sort out these blinds first.

Emma, would Perfect fit blinds look inappropriate in a lounge?

Just had what is perhaps a crazy thought! Would one-way window film be any good? That could sort out the issue by day with the verticals pulled to the side and only drawn at night. Not the most elegant solution but what do you think? I would prefer the windows dressed properly...

• lspendl 828

And thanks for the tip Emma :-)

• Victoria

Yes, window film would sort, or sheer roller blinds for each pane.

lspendl 828 thanked Victoria
  • Emma Lamb

They are generally pleated and tuck neatly out of the way when not in use. Just thought, you could have a double pole and have sheers behind your curtains. I'll find a pic and post it.

lspendl 828 thanked Emma Lamb
  • Emma Lamb

Check out Bradley Collection on insta.

lspendl 828 thanked Emma Lamb
  • lspendl 828

I really don't like sheer curtains - reminds me too much of my grannies nets. Must just be me though cos I know they're very trendy!!

• Sonia

There are roller blinds that you can see out of (in a cloudy misty way) but people can’t see in. My brother has them at his sports bar. He got his from Blinds2Go. I’ll try and find a pic.

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • Sonia

Here’s a pic of the blinds. Please excuse the mess, this was still during refurb!

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • Sonia

On Blinds2Go website

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • lspendl 828

Thanks for taking the trouble Sonia. Had a look at their website but the widest they do is 240cm (I need 295cm). I'm trawling online to find pictures of multiple blinds in different sizes to see what it would look like. Might work?!!!

• Sonia

Yes that’s a good option. I’ve got a huge bay window but in the end I opted for just curtains. I’m not too bothered about people peering in.......I hope you find something suitable soon.

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • lspendl 828

What about wood/faux wood venetians in 3 parts? (3 section across the middle and a single on each end. Never seen multiple blinds on one window in real life. Natural wood or white? Toying with the idea of having the internal window sprayed white.

I need to put this to bed so I can get on with Christmas....

Thanks for your perseverance!!!

• Emma Lamb

Fair comment on sheers, they can look beautiful but if they remind you of grannies nets then fair do's lol. The venetians above look motorised to me as there are no strings. If you can hang on till the new year I'll have a look when I get back to work and see what the widest width is from our blind manufacturer, got a feeling it's 3m.

lspendl 828 thanked Emma Lamb
  • Sonia

I’m not keen on natural wood blinds as they look a bit heavy and studenty, if you get what I mean! However, I do think white painted ones are very smart and look a bit like shutters. They will give you the privacy you crave but still let in a good bit of light. Don’t rush into a decision, take your time and us Houzzers really do not mind a bit of dithering, that’s my middle name! Here’s some images

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • lspendl 828

That would be great Emma. I'm happy to wait til the new year - just need a plan!! Although on thinking about it, my window is very much like Sonia's first pic - a bow window but in 5 sections rather than 4. We ignored this when we hung the vertical and just went straight across but would a venetian be better following the shape of the glass (i.e. in individual sections??). Oh no...here I go again!!

Sonia, yep I see what you mean about them being studenty. The white ones are lovely though.

… me and you obviously share the same middle name Sonia :-)

• Emma Lamb

That is exactly the same as my front windows, 5 pane now. My parents have the same and also have white venetians in their bedroom. They look lovely, and do work with all the strings too...oooh we might be close to a solution ;-)

lspendl 828 thanked Emma Lamb
  • lspendl 828

I think we might be!

Happy Christmas Houzzers!

• bonsu7

Love your new sofa, where is it from? Your room is beautiful by the way:)

lspendl 828 thanked bonsu7
  • lspendl 828

Thanks bonsu! It's from Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield.

• Sarah

I have the same curtains as you at the french doors in my lounge. I have 4 panes with sheer pleated perfect fit and intu blinds.

lspendl 828 thanked Sarah
  • lspendl 828

Any chance of a pic Sarah?

Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui

Beautiful space, your sofa looks very comfortable. The curtains kind of feet to this room, make it more vivid and bring more contrast to grey walls, they also much with the pillows, however if you like to change them I would go for white cotton once. The idea of white wooden blinds (as you see on Sonia´s picture) is also good. Actually in this case you could even consider getting rid of the curtains at all. About the side tables, in case you have white curtains I would keep their natural wooden look, maybe you could just renovate them a bit. Instead I would change the coffee table for similar one (solid natural wood). Another option is to paint the sidetables white and get white wood coffee table. I like your carpet, however if it would be bigger I think it would be even better, both either round or rectangular. To bring a bit more colour to the room I would change the mirror for a nice colorful painting in a nice frame. When you get rid of reflecting objects and bring some natural materials; wood, cotton etc., your room will become more cozy.

lspendl 828 thanked Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
  • lspendl 828

Thanks for your nice comments Equillbrando. It's a north facing room so can be a bit dark - the mirror was my attempt to lighten things up. Actually, that was the reasoning behind the glass coffee table too. I'm going to get the white wooden venetians in place first and then I'll have another think about the coffee table.

• J

How do you feel about window film? This kind of thing https://www.brume.co.uk/c/2/frosted-amp-decorative-window-film

lspendl 828 thanked J
  • Sarah

Here's my curtains and blinds. Photo taken in artificial light. My room is also north facing.

lspendl 828 thanked Sarah
  • lspendl 828

Thanks for that Sarah. Looks lovely.

I did consider window film J but I've decided against it now but thanks for the idea.

• E D

Hope I’m not throwing a spanner in the works, a cat amongst the pigeons, or similar, but I actually quite like natural wooden blinds. In a wood colour or a ‘washed’ colour that maintains the wooden look/grain.

Although white is fine, it can look a little stark as indeed your current blinds do.

lspendl 828 thanked E D
  • lspendl 828

Oh no ED! You'll set hares running... :-)

• lspendl 828

Stone coloured wood Venetians??

• Sonia

My friend has rich cream coloured blinds and they just have a grubby “smokers” look about them (God I hope she’s not on Houzz!). There are many different whites and some are textured so you can see the grain through without being dinghy.

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • Sonia

I hope this picture shows the kind of grain I mean.......

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • E D

Sonia, a bit like whitewashed wooden flooring?

lspendl 828 thanked E D
  • E D

Ah Sonia, our last two posts crossed.

Thought you meant something like this:

lspendl 828 thanked E D
  • Sonia

Similar E D. The blinds are painted white but with the textured grain showing through. The dark ones do look dinghy though to me!

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • desnacampbell

The main coffee table is too complicated and you really don't need the rug underneath or the little pouffe. Plain curtains would look good and remove the blinds. The TV is huge!!!

lspendl 828 thanked desnacampbell
  • desnacampbell

No need for stuff on shelves near the HUGE tv

lspendl 828 thanked desnacampbell
  • desnacampbell

The yellowish curtains look really well

lspendl 828 thanked desnacampbell
  • lspendl 828

The TV is huge! That's hubby's department. If it were up to me I wouldn't have one quite so big but it's his house too!! In most things he's not too bothered but here he had an opinion :-)

I'm working on the blinds...

• Gordana Donnachie

B&W rectangular rug

lspendl 828 thanked Gordana Donnachie