michelle_marx13

How would you improve this layout?

Chells Marx
4 years ago

Hi all,

Looking for some ideas for how to improve the layout of our 1960s semi-detached house. We like open plan and would like to extend it to create a more family friendly space (but also don’t want to lose money should we have to sell (armed forces family who know what will happen next!)). We were also thinking of potentially doing a loft conversation to put in a nice master suite, useful as we have an au pair as well as family regularly staying over from overseas. I would also love a downstairs toilet so I can have my 93 year old grandmother over for Sunday lunch (and to make potty training that little bit easier). Finally, having two dogs a muddy boot area would be great too (currently the utility). We would also prefer not to lose or convert the existing garage as it’s where the boiler system is and is the easiest place to store way too much military gear!

What we have done so far and spent roughly-

• New boiler system (scoped for additional bathroom in the future) £5k

• new combined main bathroom with bath and separate shower £10k

• new fence £1.5k

• Wood-burner £2k

• new fuse board £400

We have also done some DIY in the form of painting the kitchen and clearing the garden with the help of a rather large skip (no idea why there was so much rubble in it! But glad that is done)

Floor plan below and I have also uploaded the original 1960s layout most of which you can still see in the form of poorly done past works... but it’s on the most lovely street, in a beautiful town with great schools and community sprit, plus we didn’t break the bank so... ( for photos of the work so far see my idea book)

Many thanks and happy new year.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.