Design dilemma - creative ideas to solve an extension dilemma! PLANS!

Ali Roff
14 January, 2020

Hi all! We've just offered on this house, and want to extend to the side - the current owner has shared his architect's plans with us, but we wonder if anyone has any better ideas?

Info:

• There's a triangular plot of land to the side of the house we want to extent onto
  • Previous planning of a large single story kitchen extension has been rejected due to concerns about protecting tree roots
  • This is the revised plan - a double story extension is shown here - we think it's a little strange - small dining room on ground floor with a weird shaped living room upstairs, where a lot of the space is useless due to the stairs....

What we want:

• We really want a bigger open plan kitchen - the current one is very small!
  • We'd probably prefer a single story kitchen extension without the stairs taking up so much space
  • But We need to think about protecting the tree roots - can this be done?

Are there any creative ideas you have around how to use the space/ layout/navigation through the house/protecting tree roots? Anything ideas and comments welcome! Thanks in advance! Pics and plans below!