alexa_broad

Ideal height ceiling for open plan 9.7m long kitchen/dining/living

Alexa Broad

We are planning a 9.7 m long, 6.82 m width (narrowing to 5.23 m at the living room end) two storey extension to our old cottage. My question is this: for a room of this size, which can't have a vaulted ceiling due to building bedrooms above, what ceiling height can we get away with? Will 2.4 m feel too low? If so, we may need to raise the attic trusses in the first floor rooms to make those ceilings higher, so that we can steal an extra 20cm or so for the kitchen below. Thoughts please? In order to adjoin the old cottage, we have to be careful and may need a step down/up into the new extension from the old cottage already. We want to avoid digging down into our garden to create the extra ceiling height.

Thank you