mishmashe

Wallpaper/paint choice for large living room (& other dilemmas)

mishmashe
4 years ago

We are redecorating our living room and I need some inspiration please! At the moment we have 1 grey papered wall and 3 very light grey painted walls. I want to get rid of the grey walls and go lighter/brighter. I definitely don't want to have dark walls in this room, even though I know it can look fantastic if done right. So I'm thinking cream, white, and/or pale gold. Possibly a textured wallpaper with no pattern (like grasscloth effect), but open to other suggestions.

We'll be upgrading to a much larger TV and it will be hung on the wall. There will be something going above the sideboard, and also above the piano. We're still deciding on curtains. The rug, all furniture, and everything else will be staying (apart from the clutter!).

I've attached some photos of rooms that I like the look of, just to give an idea. I'm just not quite sure how to achieve this look.

So my questions are:

- Could you suggest any wallpapers or paint colours for this room?

- If going for a plain textured wallpaper like grasscloth, could you do it on all 4 walls?

- If only wallpapering part of the room, would you keep it on the long TV wall, or paper the 2 short end walls? (We used to have it like that and we liked it.)

- Are there too many lamps in this room? We like the light but there are quite a few!

- We have a rectangular painting to go above the sideboard but would something round look better?

- Any other changes at all that could make the room look better?

Thank you, I look forward to any advice!

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.