Victorian staircase and hallway advice

HU-360823388

Hi everyone,

If anyone has any experience with the following, I would really appreciate some advice please. Many thanks in advance.

I will like to add some wall paper on the staircase of my Victorian house but there is a strip of wood that runs horizontally along the hallway and staircase that separates the wall - I am not sure of the proper term for this horizontal wood feature.

My dilemma is:

Do I remove this horizontal strip of wood everywhere? - staircase, hallway upstairs/downstairs

Do I remove the horizontal strip of wood just on the staircase and leave it everywhere else or will that look odd?

Do I leave the horizontal strip of wood and do half wallpaper, half paint?

Kindest,

Sarah