k_beazley60

what to do about pebbledash?

k_beazley60
last year

Looking for a solution to the ugly pebble dashed exterior to our little victorian mid terraced house. We are the only pebble dashed house on the street and after 8 years living here we are finally ready to commit to improving the view of our house for our neighbours. A house nearby is having theirs removed and it is mostly grey cinder blocks -- this area was badly bombed during the war and I always supposed that may be why the dash was applied in the first place so we'd prefer to have a smooth render applied over top if that is possible. Not terribly keen on simply painting it as it will still look lumpy. Looking for advice from anyone who has experience with this or knows any reputable rendering specialists that can help us out. Many thanks in advance.

• Sam Potter
    last year

Your house looks great. Use the money to go on a lovely holiday

k_beazley60 thanked Sam Potter
  • zenoobia
    last year

I can empathise, I don't like pebbledash either. I have had this with my last 2 homes. In my previous home, I had it painted white (the cheapest option) and it made a massive difference so I would suggest this first. My second home was more challenging as removing an ugly patio damaged the pebbledash. The pebbledash had to be removed by hand, underneath the bricks were in bad condition so had be repointed and the rendered.....it was an expensive job as you should render over pebbledash. It's worth seeing if you could live with painting it.

k_beazley60 thanked zenoobia

Pebbledash exterior help!

Hi, The house looks great. I hope the extension went on smoothly :) Can I ask why do don't want white? Maybe an off/grey white? I think it would look really stunning. Have you considered a 3D visualisation package. I do them a lot for client with exactly these things in mind. It's a lot of money and time to spend on something so it is nice to know you are doing it correctly first time. I have added a few images of a 3D render done for a client when choosing windows.

What do you thing about tiger ?

Skilfully painted! 👌 Yes, perhaps a more substantial frame or try hanging it a bit lower. As it is now, it seems to be fighting for attention with the aircondition unit.

Exterior pebbledash paint colour decision

If your photo shows the current situation, perhaps you can consider painting the upvc windows instead. The render colour looks good to me and would work well with soft (sage?) green windows.

what do you think about these Diamante Damson Tiles in the kitchen?

In terms of colour I think that only you can make that choice - I love bold colours for example, but appreciate that not everyone has my taste :). So I will answer the next two questions 2) No I do not think it looks too bathroom-like. 3) Personally I think it would need to be white grout (as in the images) or at least a pale grey if you still want to have the tile effect, with it being such a dark and strong colour. I hope that helps!
  • Helen B
    last year

If you decide to render, I believe you need a pick a more breathable render especially as it’s an old house and avoid silicon based renders like k-rend. We used parex lime based render on our property, again a through colour render so doesn’t require painting but it’s not cheap! Still looks great 5 years later!

k_beazley60 thanked Helen B
  • minipie
    last year

I would just paint it an off white. 90% improvement for a small cost.

k_beazley60 thanked minipie
  • white567
    last year

I bought a house with pebbledash like yours and just had it painted. Went from ugly to lovely!
    Another option which I had done on a different property: if the house needs insulation, get the external insulation put on over the pebbledash and then this will be painted to your specification. Not as cheap as repainting but would add to the EPC rating.

k_beazley60 thanked white567
  • sarh123
    last year

The examples of the external insulation I’ve seen haven’t been particularly attractive because of the depth around the window apertures.

k_beazley60 thanked sarh123
  • pannacotta
    last year

I would also go with painting it white, especially as there are other houses in your street already painted so it would blend well.

Add some colour/planting/climinbg roses in hot pink etc to distract from the pebble dash.

The windows are lovely, perhaps pick out the frames in a different colour to highlight them?

k_beazley60 thanked pannacotta
    VORBILD Architecture
    last year

Hi, we had a similar situation in one of the projects and changed it, so it looks now like this:

Family House in North London · More Info

You can find some before photos here https://vorbild.co.uk/project/0401-picturesque-kilburn-terraced-house-refurbishment-nw6-london/. I hope it gives you some ideas.

k_beazley60 thanked VORBILD Architecture
  • k_beazley60
    last year

A sincere thank you all for your responses. I thought everyone hated pebble dash but it might be that only people who have it do! (Will post about my avocado bathroom suite later.) I've been given the details of someone who paints pebble dash (they are hard to find!) and will look at painting it and will also look at some of the render options. Not sure if I'm allowed to ask for recommendations on this forum, but notice a lot of companies that offer rendering seem to be nationwide and seem to source contractors per area. If anyone has a suggestion of outfits to avoid or seek out in the SW London area please LMK. After painting or rendering we will definitely paint the door and windows and hang some baskets and be a bit more house proud on the outside. Thank you all again, what a nice online community.

• E D
    last year
    last modified: last year

Vorbild, that’s a lovely example of a completely and sensitively restored Victorian House.

I normally don’t follow Pros’ links but couldn’t resist this time 😊 and apart from a few grammar mistakes found it a good read.

Re the pebble dash, more proof removing it is not easy and then there’s still a good chance the bricks will be damaged, as in Vorbild’s case.

k_beazley60 thanked E D
    VORBILD Architecture
    last year

Happy to hear that E D and thanks for your comment, I will look into it :)

• k_beazley60
    last year

Agreed. Beautiful. But also agree removal probably not the right choice for my house and budget. Possibly, if like Vorbild's client we were doing a complete overhaul and modernisation project. May I ask, is it common to paint the bricks after dash removal because they require repointing and repairing? I know of another house that had dash removed and the bricks weren't repainted but they have a sort of chalky sanded appearance. Just curious.

• titiankim
    last year

when we had external wall insulation put over our pebble dash, we had all the windows pushed out about five centimetres (the windows were being replaced anyway) it required a bit of redecorating inside but made a big difference to the look outside

k_beazley60 thanked titiankim
  • peggysue67
    last year

There was an advice article on Houzz on 1 Feb about options for removing pebbledash. I can’t find it now on the app but I can still access it if I google. That may be a useful starting point if you haven’t read it yet.

k_beazley60 thanked peggysue67
  • k_beazley60
    last year

Not sure how I missed that article in my searching but have now read it, thank you!

• pannacotta
    last year

If you cant afford to remove it, if you paint it white and grow a wisteria and/or climbing rose around the door it would look lovely.

• E D
    last year

Do you have a link for the Houzz item on pebbledash?

Sorry, just lazy... 😊

OnePlan
    last year

Me too ! I am relived K render is off our list now ... in my heart I want to actually use the shiplap finish that’s up and coming ... but it might look odd as it’s a semi and next door is still PD.

k_beazley60 thanked OnePlan
    21st Century Space Sculpture
    last year

Its a nice looking house but if you really hate the pebbledash then i would just get it spray painted in a colour that compliments the street and other houses around you. K render looks good but it's very expensive and we don't know what its going to look like several years down the road and it may have been a waste of time and money. Your pebbledash looks like is in good condition in any case...so if it's not broken etc. Hope this helps and good luck!

k_beazley60 thanked 21st Century Space Sculpture
  • k_beazley60
    last year

E D, I cannot find the article (it was called 'how to remove pebbledash') on houzz anymore for some reason

colourhappy
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you painted it pure white and the window frames a very pretty very pale indigo it could look amazing.

k_beazley60 thanked colourhappy
  • Victoria
    last year

The article on pebbledash seems to have been removed. No idea why. Bit frustrated as I had intended to send a link to it to a friend 🙄

• Krusty Beagle

The wall and path are next 😆

• E D
    last modified: 8 months ago

Looking great. 👌

Good to see you didn’t do anything drastic.

Apart from removing your greenery...😱 😊

PS What‘s the colour(s) you went for?

• Krusty Beagle

I always hated the variegated euonymus we had here but to be fair, it never asked much from us. You don’t miss a trick ED! 😆 The pebbldash was covered in a light warm grey called ‘early evening ‘ or something but chosen due to similarity to LG’s ‘french grey’. The door is LG’s ‘Orange Aurora‘. The decorator’s painted the roof tiles which made everything pop (hope it lasts!?) and did a smashing job on the windows— neighbours thought we’d had them replaced.

• AM

Looks very smart Well done

• Sonia

What a difference Paint makes. Well done.

• mattweeksdj

Just paint it, just painted ours and it's made a huge difference

• kazzh

Whilst you are making your final decision would a good clean, pressure wash?, make it a bit cleaner looking?

• kazzh

well, if I look at the date, it appears you have made your decision! 😂 Congrats on the final result. So much smarter and brighter.

• E D

kazzh, you were talking about the parapet wall, weren’t you? 😄

• Krusty Beagle

The wall is a real eyesore now in comparison. Working on it!

• kazzh

E D Now that I think about it I'm sure I was commenting on the wall! ☺ LOL...... let me just have another look! 🤣

• Alix W

Wow, it looks fantastic! In spring you could add window boxes with bright red pelargoniums and it will be a total smash. 😍

• E D

I actually quite liked the vegetation you had, Krusty. Or at least the fact there was some greenery.

Are you planning to have some? Or lots, even? 😊

• Krusty Beagle

In due course! There are a few purple cyclamen in pots for now. Was thinking of purple and orange flowers in window boxes but don’t want to mess the nice new paint work just yet. Would love a climber like a trumpet flower (Campsis radicans) but we’re north facing at the front so not sure it will be as happy there as the euonymus was. I promise I'm all for green generally— back garden is a jungle!

• Suzan French

i would definately teacosy the whole house, if planning would allow, google it, it will cut your heating bills in half.

• lizzy

we painted the pebble dash on the top half of our house years ago when we moved in ...and then some of the neighbours did the same.. it looks much better now as it was quite a dark pebble it looks light and airy ...its palest grey at the moment but it easy and cheap to change and update

• mattweeksdj

we literally finished the back of the house today and very pleased with the results. even painted the old upvc door and garage.

• E D

Looking good dj matt. 👌

Are you sure you did the back of the house?

This ‘literally’ looks like the front to me. 😄

• mattweeksdj

haha ED very good point. This was the back last night. Just need to get round and sort that inside edge of the chimney!

• connie minton

Would paint it and what about letting some wall-friendly ivy like Boston ivy grow over it? Looks stunning in autumn and good for wildlife?

• Niamh Power

Any suggestions for a house with red brick on the lower half? Have already painted the pebbledash on the upper half and I would also like to paint the lower half but I I read somewhere that it can cause damage?

• E D

Looking good, Niamh, but can I suggest you start a new thread for your dilemma?

It will get you more response.

• Niamh Power

👍🏻

• Berni vanHaeften
    last modified: 7 months ago

We had the pebbledash painted using Earthborn's Silicate Masonry System in 'Pebble' white.

The 'Before' picture shows the old roof which we replaced with Marley ACME Heather blend roof tiles and a chimney on the right hand side which we removed.

Before

After

• HU-932167671

@KrustyBeagle- hello! We need to get the front of our pebble dash house painted and yours looks amazing! Can you recommend the decorator you used? Thanks

• Berni vanHaeften

Sussex Lime Restorations, based in Eastbourne, painted the house. See: https://www.sussexlimerestorations.com

• Krusty Beagle

We had ours done by Finestone Roofers and Decorators. Think they are based Kingston/ Chessington area. https://www.finestoneroofersanddecorators.co.uk/