misha_madhavji

Please help with my Mum's dream home! Thank you.

Misha
4 years ago

Hello lovely Houzzers

I am obsessed with Houzz but this is the first time I have posted a 'dilemma' and I'd love to get some advice please.

My Mum loves her home. It may well be her forever home. The upper two floors are great and have spacious bedrooms and bathrooms but the ground floor just doesn't work!

Floor plan posted below. Ignore what rooms are labelled as now... everything can be changed!

I've outlined below what the main bug bears are and some ideas we have but any and all ideas welcome.

I'm hoping to turn this into a bit of a project/ regular update thing on Houzz in case anyone is interested in the progress, but for now, we are at the beginning so would really welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

THE MAIN ISSUES:

1. The Lounge (per floor plan) faces the driveway and road and is not an appealing aspect.

2. The kitchen is far too small and massively lacking in storage

3. Overall lack of storage on ground floor

4. It's cold in the back rooms...kitchen and what is labelled as the dining room.

5. The entrance is too small/narrow.

WHAT SHE NEEDS/WANTS:

1. Larger and open plan kitchen (ideally with an island), diner and family room

2. The family room has to be a proper cosy, inviting family room where we will spend the majority of our time (as opposed to a couple of arm chairs in the kitchen)...pls see example pics below.

4. Downstairs shower room

5. Better/bigger hallway...atm, you walk in and the stairs are right in front of you and the hallway is narrow. This is a substantial 6 bedroom/5 bath house and the downstairs doesn't befit it.

6. A room that could be a downstairs bedroom on occasion.

7. A kitchen with lots of storage but ideally no wall cupboards...so maybe one wall of floor to ceiling cupboards?

8. Retain some sort of utility.

9. No need for downstairs Study.

IDEAS SO FAR:

1. Do a permitted development (3m I think?) extension (single story) at the back of the house. The garden is big.

2. Have the kitchen, diner, family room all across the back with large doors to the garden. Perhaps open plan kitchen and diner and then ‘broken-plan’ family room so it feels separate enough not to feel like you are sitting in kitchen but open enough that kitchen isn’t shut off – the two pics below exemplify this well I think

3. Move front door more to the right (where it says Study on floor plan) to create a much more spacious (more square shaped?) hallway and create built in cupboards for coats etc. Or. Just remove the wall of Study/Hallway and does that achieve the same?

4. Keep lounge as is (although I think it's too big) and make it into the smart/formal sitting room/library.

5. Extend the downstairs WC to encompass the shower she was wants.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.