moorlikeit

Balcony balustrade advice needed

moorlikeit
4 years ago

I am very uncertain what balcony balustrade/screen to install.

The balcony has been created to comply with Planning/Building Regs over a flat roof extension at first floor height.

The plans include a continuous glass screen attached to the walls on either side. the length is somewhere in the region of 3 metres. I have been strongly advised by the builder that this would be the best solution because there are no vertical posts so less chance of weak spots where rain can penetrate.

My worries are as follows 1) glass can shatter unexpectedly 2) birds kill themselves flying into glass 3) cleaning it could be difficult 4) Our house is a 1920's urban cottage style (if that makes sense) so a timber balustrade would be more in keeping.

I would happily go for timber except that the posts will weaken the fibreglass roofing even though they can be installed before the roof goes on. Also the fibreglass will have to extend up the posts for 40 cm which could look unsightly. Also, in theory the wooden balustrade will need more maintenance in the future although very little cleaning!

My builder has ruled out EPDM which he regards as inferior to fibreglass.

I would so much appreciate any advice, thoughts, experience sharing that any of you folk can offer as I need to resolve this dilemma pronto. Many thanks.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.