sophie_mackenzie

Kitchen design advice - wall colour and worktops!

C Mack
4 years ago

Well I thought planning a kitchen would be a fun job...?!

I would appreciate some thoughts on our kitchen which we are refurbishing in a few months.
To cut a long story short, we are knocking down a wall and extending the kitchen into the existing dining area where there will be a breakfast bar and an open plan dining area. The lounge will be in the converted garage with double doors onto the kitchen diner.
Therefore the choices we make in terms of colour etc are really important as it will need to work with the whole space.
Questions as follows:

We want a matt white kitchen so need to add some gloss with the worktop although it looks like quartz will be beyond our budget sadly.
So need to find a laminate which works.
I wanted to steer clear of grey but am struggling to find a good alternative.

Floor will be a wood effect Karndean so we would rather avoid a wood effect worktop.

I would like to add some colour to the kitchen walls but am struggling as are working with a large bulkhead in the ceiling so it feels like we should be painting the walls white so it blends in as much as possible. I am concerned it will all be very er...white!

We will need a splash back/back board behind the job so that may be a good way to add some gloss/colour.

I have included photos of the bulkhead in question (excuse the mess) and two photos of the new design. Ignore the blue - it was Howdens’ choice.

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.