berrecka

Alternative to microcement

berrecka

We're about 8 weeks off completing a renovation that we have been planning for 5 years and out of the house for 8 months already. It's a small 1930s semi in the west of Ireland. It was originally thought that it would take 5-6 months, but the old house had thrown up an unbelievable amount of problems, not least a car in the foundations of a subsiding 1980s lean-to extension, and a huge tree root in the centre of the house. The builders ended up going down 3m to hit solid ground upon which they could build the new foundations.

Anyway, because the ground conditions have proved so poor, we have been advised (by engineers and screed guy) against using the microcement floor finish we had intended for the ground floor. There is concern that there will be too much cracking of the finish because of the movement below. The ground floor will consist of a large kitchen, small office, utility, wc, hall and sitting room. I'm really stumped as to what to now. I can't think what else will work for a sitting room, kitchen, office and walk in shower, as well as ancillary rooms. In our old kitchen we had large grey tiles which look quite like concrete and I really liked them, but I can't imagine them being comfortable in a sitting room and couldn't go into a walk-in shower. I really would like it to be seamless, with no saddleboards between rooms.