katie_weston89

Ideas of how much a garage conversion would cost

Katie Weston
4 years ago

My partner and I are buying our first house. My partner does a lot of table top gaming and painting figures, and one of the things from any house he bought was somewhere he could do that. It was virtually impossible to find a house that already had a big enough space for that in a decent area that was within budget. What we have found is a 3 bedroom house with a dining room and a garage.

The plan was, in the short term, he games in the dining room and paints in the third bedroom, with a permanent painting station set up and there's sliding built in wardrobes that can be used to store all of his stuff in (there's a lot!).

However, in the medium-long term, we want to convert the garage into a space he can game (permanently having a table set up) and paint. Maybe have his TV in there as well (smart tv, no need for an aerial point).

It's a garage that's attached to next door's garage (but not the house), 60s built and currently has no electric inside. My dad's an electrician, but I'm not sure he'd be up for doing the electrics from scratch - if we had found a house that needed a re-wire, he said he wouldn't do the re-wire (we're about an hour away and he still works full time, plus other things he has on).

If anyone has done a garage conversion in similar circumstances, it would be really helpful to know how much it cost. The plan was to save up 1/2 - 2/3 of the cost, then borrow off the mortgage.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.