belinda_j_hancock

Paint colour suggestions for hallway, stairs and landing

B-Bob
4 years ago

Please could some of you lovely people help me with deciding on a paint colour scheme for our hallway, stairs and landing. It's a Victorian property that's been re-modelled with a new staircase in the centre of the house. Above the stairs there is a large light well shedding lots of light onto the landing, so the walls are very high in places. The downstairs hall with have a dado rail continuing all round the hall and up the stairs ending at the top of the stairs where it meets a door. The upstairs landing will have a picture rail. Stairs, spindles and newel posts will be painted in Dulux equivalent to F & B Pointing, bannister will be varnished oak. Hopefully the pictures make some sense.

I'm thinking of having "darker" shade of whatever colour below the dado rail, lighter shade above dado rail up to the ceiling. Ceilings will be standard matt white. On the stairs wall, there will be a dado rail running up the stairs and then above that picture rail to match the landing picture rail, so on this wall there will be 3 colours - "darker", "lighter" and then standard matt white about the picture rail. On the remainder of the landing walls, there will be the "lighter" colour from skirting up to the picture rail and then standard white above that and on the ceiling.

I want a colour scheme that's neutral but interesting if possible. I like the idea of a shades of blue or grey but I'm worried it might be a bit cold. The hall flooring will be grey limestone.

We'll be using Dulux paints, so will colour match to any other brand suggestions.

Comments (28)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.