handev

Best layout for knock through?!

Mags D
4 years ago

I previously pestered you clever people for the best way to change our downstairs layout to change the kitchen and make the most of the garden. I took your advice and contacted the wonderful Karen @Oneplan who very quickly showed me the no brainer. We have just had the architects plans through so I’m back once again hoping for your comments/thoughts. We are basically knocking down two walls to put the kitchen and sitting area through the current utility/office. I have attached the existing plan and the initial architects plans he has sent through. One issue is where to put the tv. In my mind I had it against the only wall, but it’s a shame to have backs to the big windows? Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments (46)

• rinked
    4 years ago

So this leaves you without downstairs loo and utility. And 3 sitting areas? Why?

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The toilet will go under the stairs, the utilities will be housed in a cupboard (not ideal I agree), and the family sitting room will be a playroom

• Related Discussions

Which layout would be best? Kitchen/dining room knock through.

Q

Comments (7)
    I actually prefer the layout you've got at the moment (sorry!) with your table in the kitchen. Moving it to between the rooms looks really tight. Why not just redo your kitchen to get more functional space. You could maybe block up the door. Another possible option may be to move the wc and utility into the current garage, then you could knock through and double the size of your kitchen (and fit in an island!!).
    ...See More

Kitchen/diner knock-through - thoughts? Plans included

Q

Comments (1)
    Hope these dimensions are clearer!
    ...See More

Extend / knock through / do nothing?!

Q

Comments (20)
    @rinked wow I’m embarrassed by my napkin drawing now 😂 I really like this with the kitchen on the other side, but think I might have a hard time getting the removal of the fireplace AND the curved bay window past my OH! Its great to see an option we hadn’t considered tho and how we could make the space work without extending. I think he’ll see this as trading the extra living room for the utility tho as where you have the downstairs loo and utility is where we have the dining table now. I guess only way to squeeze in those extras while not losing the living room may be to extend
    ...See More

Edwardian terrace side return to utility or kitchen knock through?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm running a free 5 Day Get Ready To Redesign Your Home Challenge in the first week of December which you can join using the link below. This will help you start to design your vision for your home, which will help you figure out the answers to your design dilemmas! It's helped many previous participants in the week save tens of thousands on their house extension project and is the best way to start your house extension project in a way that will avoid you making an expensive mistake or regretting a missed opportunity. You also get access to me daily for Q&As so I can help you with further questions during the week. Here is the link to join the 5 day challenge: https://www.i-architect.co.uk/readytoredesign.html
    ...See More
  • rinked
    4 years ago

In which room do you want your tv to go? Next to the kitchen, in the middle or in the front? :)

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Next to the kitchen. The front room is my ‘kids are in bed and husband is out so I’m drinking wine’ room 😋

• rinked
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First world problems LOL ;)

So it won't be the wine and Netflix room?

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL. Thinking of inventing a fever and quarantining myself in there for 2 weeks.
    It’s currently a guitar hero room so anything sophisticated 😆

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Is the log burner a must? I don't think it will be a focal point in option A and not sure about required distances from combustible materials. It might be worth speaking to a HETAS engineer re the oven extraction or your architect (see link)

https://www.thestoveyard.com/news/wood-burning-stoves/it-s-official--extractor-fans-and-stoves-are-allowed-

i would also worry about a tv over a log burner, they throw out an awful lot of heat..

Ethanol fires throw out a lot less heat (although there are some that say not to put a tv over these too) but just wondering if that's an option?

• rinked
    4 years ago

Most of the time I see options after staring at a floorplan for a while. Not much comes up this time.. I really think the 3 lounge setup is too much, the kitchen is quite long and the island should either be placed more towards the hallway or towards the garden for some nice views outside, not facing a wall.

Looking at your original plan, I like what I see, good sized house. Push the utility towards the back and spend your money on further opening up the kitchen-dining-lounge1 connection (and insulation, double glazing, nice doors, etc. Perhaps you already have.). Here's my two cents:

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Minnie. I think you're probably right. My husband loves a log burner so I'll check out the link. Hadn't thought about ethanol so I'll have a google now. As much as I love a log burner I do find them a bit of a faff.

Thanks Rinq. This is what we've struggled with. We don't really need more space, but the bottom end of the house has the best view of the garden so it seems almost wasted being a utility. The house is an edwardian semi so we don't really want to convert the middle room to a utility and lose original features. But also don't want to waste money on unnecessary work. It's a nice dilemma, but a dilemma all the same.

Thanks for your comments!! xxx

• rinked
    4 years ago

Ok. I get it. But still your kitchen could be shorter (though there are no measurements in your floorplan) and there would not be a lot of viewing outside where the kitchen is located with a log burner, so I erased it :) Perhaps transform one of your fireplaces and add a log burner there? (We installed a stainless pipe and vermiculite in our old chimney, to be able to have a morso where a gas hearth used to be, love the heat of burning wood!)

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rinq. Yeah I agree the kitchen is to long. The island would be something like 4.5metres on that plan. Maybe I’m trying to make too much of the seating area in the kitchen? Perhaps I should keep the middle room as the main lounge and have the kitchen more centralised in the space. Have the utility cupboard behind the kitchen door and maybe a smaller sofa, occasional chair and no TV in the seating area. More room for island seating then too. How can such a simple space be so tricky?! (Nothing to do with difficult homeowner :))
    Thanks again x

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Could you make the play room the same width as the lounge (more or less) and have laundry cupboards accessed from the hall? Have your big doors opposite the entrance door to the kitchen and have a (small) fire in the bottom left corner of the seating area with tv next to it so you could then just have a smaller french door opening onto where the patio is (presumably). I hope that makes sense. I'm not very good at planning but it makes sense to me 😂 to have the view of the garden all the way from the front door

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Minnie. Great ideas, and that bottom pic is perfect. Love that fire! I'm hoping we can get that type of utility space in the kitchen. the space behind the door is fairly deep and wide (currently housing fridge freezer and shelving) and means less knocking around. Thanks guys xx

• J
    4 years ago

I have a similar house and am in the thinking and planning stage of a new kitchen/extension. One thing I'm being wary of is having too many 'sofa rooms'. I read a lot of property magazines and without fail 'Penelope leans against the 4m marble island in her kitchen-dining-family room and tells us how the family spend all their time in the new extension'. What about the rest of the charming 16th century farmhouse??!! My current thoughts are to use the current (dark,no views) kitchen as utility, toilet, coats storage etc. Then the bit that's currently utility and study on your plan becomes kitchen diner. It will be interesting to see what you decide to do.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Hi 👋 I remember this one ...

http://panorama.2020.net/view/c8d9gaubkmfuhwvpuwqca/

This was the result I do believe !

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Karen! Yep, that's me! Actually have an architect on board now (necessary for varying rooflines etc) so going ahead with your design, just on the tweaking phase. Still indecisive unfortunately!

J - I know what you mean. We already have the kitchen/dining/family area and we do spend all our time in it. Hoping making the middle room a playroom (kids ages 8, 6 and 2) and then teen den will make this worth while!

The 'problem' we have is that the kitchen is not a good layout (not enough surface, walk through, two doors) and the utility/study are in the best location for the garden!

• rinked
    4 years ago

Had some more fun with your layout, just because I could ;)

• Ellie
    4 years ago

I'm confused to see how these changes make your house better. The original layout appears to be more space and flexible space in the kitchen/diner compared to what you will end up with?

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rinq - thanks! That’s something to think about!
    Hi Ellie - thanks for your comment. At the moment the kitchen has little work surface and is a bad layout. Also the utility and study (unused) have the best view of the garden. We are lucky in already having open plan so getting it wrong or just wasting money are a concern. I’ve attached more pics of the kitchen and outside x

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is an old pic! It’s a teeny bit tidier now! 😳

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Had to put a tidier one up! 🙈

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I personally don't mind the 3 seating arrangements as one is a play room. The thing that bothers me (although may not bother you!) is the supposed lack of indoor drying space and storage for coats, school equipment etc. I also preferred Karens island layout, the seating is more sociable and everyone would have views to the garden plus the island didn't encroach on the seating area but I guess you have just swapped laundry with fridge etc?

Could you include a drying cupboard with a pull out airer? Could any storage etc go in the porch or is there room for drying upstairs?

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Minnie, Yeah Karen’s plan is fab isn’t it. I put the utility cupboard where the fridge currently is as that seemed like the only place. It would mean reducing the island from around 4.5m to around 3.5m. We’d still have storage under the stairs for coats, bags etc but not as much. I hadn’t thought about storage in the porch which is a great idea! Will take that on board. I think drying might be the only issue (I’m trying to cut down on tumble use!). We were thinking of making a utility area in the garage but it’s not attached to the house. I’m thinking I’ll have to compromise unless we take some of the space from the middle lounge as you suggested (shame to carve up a nice sized room though - I know I know, cake and eat it 😳) xxx

• minnie101
    4 years ago

It is, Karen designed mine too but I haven't had it done but that's another story! Re storage, your 8 year old may be already but when they start after school clubs in addition to school sports they do need a lot of storage!! Our garage is at the end of our garden and we've got a chest freezer in it which stores the dog food and there's always an argument about whose turn it is to get the food out when it's cold, dark and raining so I wouldn't personally entertain a utility in a detached garage and I assume you have a lot to do?! I also assume the garage is out the front of the house and I think I'd be reluctant to carry dirty laundry out in front of the neighbours as I can imagine what would happen to me if it's windy! The play room looks pretty large so if you did take some width off of that you are gaining a large kitchen and seating area instead 😊

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Minnie. The garage is out the back but it’s windy and cold up north! I’ll get back to the architect with a few comments and see what he comes up with. Hopefully we’ll get beyond this stage and I’ll be back for advice on sliding doors! 🤞Hope you haven’t given up on yours!
    Thanks for your comments everyone xx

• rinked
    4 years ago

Could you post the garden view standing with your back against the sliding doors? And what extra views would be gained by opening up the back of the utility?

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We’d be moving the kids stuff and making it all pretty. I’ve added a pic of what the ‘study’ is currently 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Ellie
    4 years ago

It looks sooooooo much better just with moving the furniture around!

Our washing machine is out in the garage too, we go out the side door and walk by the back garden and into the garage. It was a compromise I happily made to avoid having it in the actual kitchen. I am in freezing Scotland and it's no bother to me. I only do a washing twice per week.

• rinked
    4 years ago

If it were mine, I'd be more inclined to renew and enlarge the 'dining' area, because I think the utility/study section looks great with the house, just needs a reconfiguration. And I just love that little building in your garden! Whta's on the side of the dining area? Can't read the tiny letters on your floorplan. Walkway towards the back with some obstacles (how wide?)? Power/hatches?

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rinq. This is the dining area and the family room (which will be the playroom) leads on from that. I think I know what you’ll say ... no need to do anything so stop wasting money?!! 😁

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• minipie
    4 years ago

Money no object I’d be doing something like this (please forgive very imprecise finger drawing!). Coats go under the stairs.

• rinked
    4 years ago

The bank won't give you any for saving it, so might just spend it ;)

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minipie that’s a nicely laid out plan 🤔 Discussing with husband right now!
    Rinq you’re not wrong 😁

• minipie
    4 years ago

Actually just looked at your pics and saw you have a lovely big garden. In which case, I’d go out further than my drawing. Keep the middle sitting room as a playroom. Then have your big family kitchen/sitting/diner as well. I’ll see if I can draw something.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Could you go sideways a little more?

(think I already asked that, didn't I? sometimes I get lost in comments)

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't believe I'm rethinking the whole thing again! I'd dismissed the idea of kitchen in the current dining area because the new sitting area wouldn't be visible and 'around the corner'. But extending changes that....

• rinked
    4 years ago

Something completely different. A 'conservatory' makeover. With woodburner, of course.

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Rinq. We are taking the utility section 1 meter sideways to line up with the other wall. Any further than that would interrupt view of the garden from dining room. Couldn’t go sideways from dining room as that is the garden and garage access. Your plan looks good, but the kitchen is a bit small for the layout. It’s currently 3.7 x 3.7. Suppose removing just the first wall and still moving the toilet is an option...
    I’m thinking we need to decide whether we want to sacrifice a utility for what we hope will be the ‘dream’ setup.

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minipie I love the plan but my husband won’t want to extend the back out further - he’s all about the garden xx

• minipie
    4 years ago

Ok! My first plan probably involves a small further extension out the back - it could be done without but would be quite squeezed.

I don’t think you should sacrifice a utility room - they are brilliant for keeping noise and mess out of the living spaces.

• Mags D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

:( I know you're right.

Also thinking the little white house in the garden has power. Could be my utility/hide from the kids and drink gin cave. (Joking about the drinking - promise). Thanks Minipie xx

• rinked
    4 years ago

My vote goes to keeping a mudroom/utility too. The white house could be a great tearoom (or gin), but what about frozen pipes and pooring rain?

• PRO
    Morley Stove Company Ltd
    3 years ago

We are a Hertfordshire wood burning stove company - contact us if you need any advice or help

• Mags D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, this is embarrassing. We STILL haven’t had it done. We’ve had structural reports and building regs done. Then another builder came round to quote... and... he thinks we should do it another way. Essentially he suggested what Minipie and Rinq suggested!! 👏👏👏 I’ve put a shambolic plan below. Basically keeping the utility (again, as suggested by you guys, I’ve realised I cannot live without a utility - especially now we have a dog!). So the builder said it would be cheaper and just as effective to push the bifolds down and remove the wall in between. So, now my concern is, will we have enough space for a seating area and dining table. If not, I’m concerned it’ll be a big space with not much in it? New wall in red.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.