9yardsarchitect

How are other designers offering remote design consultations?

Well that was quick! We’ve just had our first enquiry from a lady who has been self-isolating for a few days – during this time she has been pondering a long-held desire to extend her kitchen and was wondering if we could help without physically visiting her at home. And of course we can as we’ve had great experiences of remote consultations both locally and further afield.

Our process is fairly simple - instead of the standard approach of making an appointment to visit the client's house for a detailed consultation we can instead make an appointment to provide our consultation by video-call during which the client can walk us around their house to better explain the existing layout and how they'd like this improved; we can also ask them to show us elements that are important to us as designers but which they may not have considered as relevant.

Just as with a face-to-face consultation we can explore the opportunities for extending and reconfiguring their home, identify any limitations imposed by the existing structure, and provide essential advice regarding Planning Permission and Building Control approvals.

Our preferred video-call medium is currently ‘Whatsapp’ as it allows the client to move freely around to demonstrate the various areas & aspects of their house that they'd like help with, and it’s generally free to use - but we'd love to hear from anyone using any alternatives, or to hear the preferences of home-owners.

We're also mindful that the Planners’ target in N Ireland is to assess applications in a somewhat sluggish 12 weeks, and Building Control take another few weeks after this, so by the time clients come out the other side of isolation they could have all of their approvals in place ready for construction to start on their new project straight away – now there’s something to look forward to!

Share your thoughts please on video-call technology, and any experiences (good or bad) you've had with it.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.