daniel_mcnulty

Where should I put the lights on the front/exterior?

Daniel McNulty

As part of renovating the outside of my house (fixing timber etc.) I'm also keen to get some lighting on there. Ideally after some warm lighting and considering spotlights/downlights, uplights (from the lawn) and maybe an up/down light.

Few problems really - I think it may look odd with just the 1st floor lit up and lower floor not lit up, or vice versa. I would like it balanced and nothing to stand out as 'darker'. So I think I'd like both levels lit up, but I'm conscious too many lights can look a bit tacky.

Another problem is the placement. On the lower soffit (where I'd be installing the downlights) you'll notice we have a 3 pane window on the left and 4 on the right, so it'd be tricky to get it looking symmetrical.

Last problem (sorry!) the peak of the highest point of the exterior. Would we put lights running down away from the peak facing inwards? Or one light at the top of the peak facing down?

Any examples that can help us decide I'd really appreciate! We're stuck on this.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

The green squares will be these:

And the orange square something like this:

Thank you!!