helen_harmer

Living room help

Helen
4 years ago

Hi, I hope everyone is keeping well!
Our living room needs help! I'd like ideas please, on the layout, colours, furniture, everything! The sofas are fairly new (and very comfortable!) so wouldn't want to change those. Thanks in advance 😊

Comments (55)

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Sonia, I really like your ideas, what curtains would you put up if all of the walls were green? And do you think the layout of the room needs adjusting?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I really like the curtains so I would keep them if you like them. After my post, I thought if green all round was a step too far, then I think pale grey on the other walls would go really well especially if you paint the dado rail and woodwork white. Layout looks fine but if there’s room pull the sofas a little apart maybe? Although the picture below is a dining area, I think the teal and grey go really nicely together.

• Related Discussions

Hello, living room help is sought.

Q

Comments (27)
    I really love your room - exciting shapes. You only need one thing to kick-start your imagination. Lose the animal skin and choose one large beautiful multi coloured rug (could be very modern, ethnic, or even antique) to reflect the sofa colours and add cushions to echo the rug colours. This will bring the sofas together and unify the lost space between them. Then the rest will follow naturally; e,g, art, ornaments coffee tables lamps etc;. You might like to think about a radiator cover that stretched across the whole of that wall with a shelf on top and VERY large flat louvres across the entire width. This will make that wall appear to be wider and the full width louvres will accentuate that feel. Above, on the shelf sit lovely modern vases, glass ornaments etc; above that a large stunning piece of art. Good luck - you are lucky to have such an interesting starting point.
    ...See More

cosy living room help

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi! This room looks like it's part hallway too, is it possible to have the TV under the stairs? And if the room is just a snug for adults do you really need both sofas? Consider removing one if possible and if you move the TV under the stairs it gives most distance and Will really help the room look bigger. I'd paint it a white colour and really brighten it up. Get a nice big mirror on the wall where you said the sun shines to help bounce the light around the space. I think if you go light on the walls your flooring is fine, invest in a comfortable rug to go just slightly under your sofa where you prefer to sit. Add some greenery to breath life into the space and really freshen and brighten it up. And since its a cosey snug type room consider some cushions of a nice accent colour and adding a chunky knit throw. You can always stick to neutrals. Consider some ambient lighting in the form of a nice floor lamp too. Good luck and have fun with it!
    ...See More

Layout Living room. Help, please.

Q

Comments (2)
    Hey! If the floor plans are correctly understood the second one does more sense but a quick question. Are you going for a four-seated sofa?
    ...See More

living room help

Q

Comments (5)
    It’s genuinely hard to say without seeing the space & understanding how you might use it, but the generic answer would be to fill the space with a rug and then create a seating area around a centre point. I’d also place large objects in the room corners - like an oversized plant in one for example. Other option, as Kazzh has suggested, is you break the room up - perhaps create a built-in window seat. Just remember to make everything you dress the room with proportion with the size of it
    ...See More
  • E D
    4 years ago

Agree with Sonia about painting woodwork white. The woodstain appears a little dated. I would also include the skirting.

Think that would unify the woodwork, work well with the coving and make the fireplace more of a feature.

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Sonia thank you, I like the grey input 😊 our sofa is grey/taupe, would you say it's better to try and match the wall colour to the colour of the sofa?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

@Helen I don’t think it needs to match exactly, just be a similar tone. If the sofas are more greige/taupe then go with that. I do think matchpots are a great idea if you can get hold of any online. Paint some A4 card and try them next to the sofas and the teal wall and your curtains.

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@E D thank you, I think you're right about making the fireplace stand out. Want to get a balance of our style and in keeping with the age of the house

• arc3d
    4 years ago

Hi Helen,

Would it possible to get pictures of each wall i.e. not pictures of the corners of the room. For example a picture with the fireplace in the centre.

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We have talked about it and we would like to keep the woodwork and fireplace as it is so that it flows with the rest of the house. Also the green on the feature wall isn't showing it's true colour in the pphotos, it is Farrow and Ball Green Smoke, in real life it's more like this...

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Living room · More Info

• arc3d
    4 years ago

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the extra pictures.

I think the room is too small for two sofas so I would take out one of the sofas and replace with some armchairs. I think the TV cabinet takes up too much room so I would go for something that can sit flat against the wall next to the fireplace. The alcove seems to be completely unused space so I would build a cabinet into it. That would provide a good storage solution for all the toys. The bottom half I would have a built in cabinet to match the one the TV is sitting on but of course it would be set further back into the alcove. The top half can be a hidden cabinet i.e. a faux wall. I nice faded rug and coffee table. Two wall lights either side would look great, (but I would double check with an electrician to see if the lights can be put into a moving wall) I would have mid century furniture but that's just personal preference. I would paint he whole room in that green smoke, but paint either side of the chimney a darker colour to match the cabinets. The green smoke looks great in the last picture you sent. I would bring in some plants and decorate the walls with much bigger artwork than you currently have.

Something like this?

Helen thanked arc3d
  • Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much these are great ideas, just showed hubby and he loves them too, our only worry would be that the room would feel too dark with all of the walls painted green smoke. Can I ask what app did you use to put it all together?

• E D
    4 years ago

I like what arc3d has done! 👌

Creating a nice fresh look, but sympathetic to the room’s original style.

• arc3d
    4 years ago

Sorry for the dark room Helen. I just really liked the green smoke colour!

I use architectural and graphic design software, Not worth getting unless your in that line of work! But there are plenty of free online options that are much easier to use.

Helen thanked arc3d
  • moorlikeit
    4 years ago

I would either use different colours above and below the dado rail (darker below/lighter above) in keeping with Victorian style or “lose“ the dado visually by painting it the same colour as the walls. The walls would have to be in one colour for that to work. The dark wood stain is dated - circa 1980s and currently does the room no favours. The fire surround is currently over dominant and would be lifted by being painted white as others have suggested.

Is there anywhere else for the tv? Currently it is competing with the fireplace as the focal point of the room especially as the stand is also quite large and heavy.

I also wonder what visual or practical purpose is served by the arch...is it echoed elsewhere in the room? If not I would definitely consider removing it providing it‘s not structural.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

• Helen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks moorlikeit unfortunately the TV can't go anywhere else as that's where the aerial is, we're on the lookout for a smaller unit that blends into the walls, that's true regarding the alcove, we're going to get either shelves or a unit put in there, though it is a great place to put the Christmas tree!😆

• PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors
    3 years ago

One piece of advice is to get a bigger rug, that rug looks too small for your room layout. Also bigger artwork, the small frames look a little lost up there.

Helen thanked Sara Slade Interiors
  • Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sara, I'm on the lookout for a rug and artwork, we've considered getting a high pile round rug to lay next to, slightly overlapping the current rug, to fill the space

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Paint update...

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Living room · More Info

• E D
    3 years ago

Good start. 🙂

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Doesn’t the dark woodwork look better white? You’re doing a grand job! 😊

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Absolutely! I knew it would, we just tried to embrace the mahogany for a while, for ease, but it got too much 😅

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Someone has made me aware that we should use a special kind of paint for the mantelpiece if we are intending on using the fire, does anyone have any experience of this?

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Looking great!

I've not heard of wood surrounds needing special paint. It has a mahogany stain on it already? I doubt that would have been heat resistant. A wood surround should be far enough away from the fire that it is not at risk of catching fire, however I don't have a real fire in my house so can't say for sure.

Helen thanked arc3d
  • Charnelle Els
    3 years ago

I would paint all the walls the green, it's an awesome colour. Good start with painting the dado rail white. Once you've done everything else, decide on the fireplace surround. Personally I would paint it a warm medium grey. I agree that the alcove needs to be used for storage. I love the curtains and the high pile rug idea. You're doing well, keep it up.

Helen thanked Charnelle Els
  • Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Charnelle, it is a lovely green, it may well spread to the rest of the walls but perhaps once we've completed the rest of the room 😊

We've got a sideboard now so that's going in the alcove.

Next up pictures and lamps 😊

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, so I've got a little bit further with ideas for our living room but before I commit to buying anything I really need some help deciding what would work and what wouldn't. You guys have all been great so far and I really appreciate your input; here are the items that I'm considering...

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And this is the sideboard which will go in the alcove;

Living room · More Info

I'd like to have a lamp on the sideboard with either the big picture resting on the sideboard or some smaller pictures and put the big picture above the sofa.

• E D
    3 years ago

Are you sure the sideboard will fit?

To me it looks too wide, but maybe that’s just the photo.

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes it's already in there 😊

• E D
    3 years ago

👍

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Hi Helen,

I like all your decor choices, except the clock and the erm... egg?

Just kidding they'll look fine (as long as they are small and not a feature on their own).

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hahaha I realise the clock is an acquired taste! The egg is actually a lamp! Is there anything that will look out of place though? And which rug do I go for?!

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The clock is quite big, 40cm. We also like this clock which is smaller at 30cm;

Living room · More Info

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Please forgive me but I don’t like the first clock either 😊 but that second one is lovely and such a gorgeous colour. Will it be going on the green wall? It may get a little lost? I like the egg lamp, looks like a Faberge egg but without the price tag I would imagine. All the rugs are lovely and my favourite is no 5 with the turtle, but they are all nice. Not sure if the blue ones will go though? Even I’m confused! 😊

• E D
    3 years ago

Do you really need/want a wall clock?

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The first clock would look better in our kitchen I've decided!😆 I was planning on putting the clock on the wall opposite the sofa, where the dolls house is in the photos. I'm considering a blue rug because we have navy curtains and some blue detail in the fireplace tiles, the only thing I'm wondering with the grey rug (no 5) is it will be the only grey in the room, the sofas are taupe

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm not against having a clock on the mantelpiece instead of a wall clock, I just haven't found one I like!

• moorlikeit
    3 years ago

I thought clocks were almost obsolete now that we all have mobile phones with us 24/7. It could be my age but the idea of seeing time ticking away on a huge clock fills me with horror! I would prefer to see art on walls not clocks of any sort, but that's just me and I do not expect it to influence your decision. I think the rugs are lovely but especially numbers 3 & 7.

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We only have 1 clock in the house, I hate having to find my phone to find out the time 😆

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Wall clocks are great. We've always had them. I love the sound of clock on a quiet afternoon, but that might just be me? I rarely use my phone to check the time. I still wear a wrist watch! Much more convenient than fumbling around looking for a phone.

Regarding the rugs, they all look great. When I've chosen rugs in the past I've bought all the ones I like and then tried out each one. It's impossible to tell from the pictures and they always look different in real life. Even the lights you have in the room will make a difference so be sure to try them out in the evening too. The last time was when I was choosing a runner for the hall way. In the end I kept the one I least liked when I saw it online! Most shops are more than happy to accept returns.

Helen thanked arc3d
  • Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks arc3d, I always do this with clothes, I have no problem with sending something back (much to my hubby's dismay😆) so that's a great shout 😊

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Me again! I require a bit more assistance with our living room layout please. I'll post a few updated pictures, I'm trying to figure out where we should arrange the sofas and where would you put the lamp and either a coffee table or 2 side tables or does the room need anything else? We are painting the mantelpiece and buying artwork for the walls and sideboard and lamp for the sideboard and getting a bigger rug.

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And the dolls house will be going upstairs

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Hi Helen,

It's looking great. There's no other arrangement for the sofas really. Is there a budget for new ones? If not, how about two new armchairs? The only arrangement I can think of is the one I suggested right at the beginning i.e. a bigger sofa under the window and two armchairs either side of the room.

Regarding coffee table and side tables, I think the room is big enough for both. That's the perfect corner for the lamp.

• Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks arc3d, do you think it'd work to have the sofas as they are now and put a side table either side of the window sofa, with a table lamp on the left table and the floor lamp left where it is now? And we feel like the wall where the dolls house is would feel bare, any suggestions for that? I'm not sure an armchair would work?

• arc3d
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes I think that arrangement would work well.

You mentioned a sideboard? I assumed that would go on the doll house wall?

If not, you could have baskets, an ottoman, some pouffes or a bench there.

I did actually come up with another arrangement for the sofas but it would mean moving the TV under the window. The symmetry would look great and it would give you a whole wall of activity on the window side with display shelves, storage and decor etc

Before:

After:

Helen thanked arc3d
  • Helen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some great ideas thank you 😊 where the tv is now is the only place for it, the 2 seater sofa does fit in the space where the dolls house is

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.