enid_nieuwoudt

Need help decorating living room

enidnouveau
4 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here on Houzz for a while, and this is my first post. I would like to give our living room a makeover. I'm from Cape Town, so I can't buy from all of the normal shopping sites that is listed on here. I will post photos of the room as it is now in the comments, and also concept photos of what I would like to do.

What can change:

Rug, scatter cushions, curtains and curtain railing. I would like to get a natural fibre rug (e.g. jute or sisal). I am going to re-cover the bucket chairs in a brownish-charcoal colour, but would be open to other fabric/colour suggestions.

What to add:

Artwork, side tables, task lighting, plants. I would like to frame some of our vacation photos in a black frame with white matting. I would like to create some art pieces similar to what is shown in the concept pictures, also black frame and white matting. I would like to pull the bright green and dark turquoise colours from the ethnic bowl on the coffee table and from the art and get scatter cushions in those colours.

What should stay:

Paint, existing furniture, tiles and general layout, preferably. I like the neutral colours and furniture (the red chairs will be recovered in neutral colour), that I have currently, and would like to work with that. I like the current furniture layout, but am open to suggestions; it might seem a bit crowded to other people but I am able to live with it. Seating is of high priority, since we have family gatherings often.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Am I on the right track? What would you change from the concept? My style I would describe as contemporary, but less formal with lots of natural elements.

Photos to follow.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.