decorbuddi1

Hiding the Dreaded TV!

Decorbuddi
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

One of the questions that our buddies are often asked is “what is the best way to disguise the TV?”. At times we want to relax without the television and tune out technology from our space for a little while. Hiding the dark (often large) screen from view can help to give your room a breather from tech.

There are many different routes for this, from painting the wall a dark colour to camouflaging the screen or adapting a traditional TV cabinet. However, these tricks will affect the appearance of the whole room and therefore the TV can still tend to dominate. So what are your options if you don’t want a dark wall or the TV is hung above a fireplace? There are some subtle, small steps you can take that won’t change the dynamic of the entire space. This is the subtle art of hiding your TV.

ON SCREEN ARTWORK

One solution, if you have a healthy budget, is to transform your TV into an artwork itself. The Samsung Frame TV allows you to display a collection of favourite family photos or choose from a massive selection of art and photography when you subscribe to their art store. You can use this to rediscover forgotten photographs, and digitally display fond memories in the hub of your house. This method is also adaptable, and you can change the images as often or as little as you like, with ease.

WALLPAPER MASTERPIECE

If you have an existing TV it is still possible to conceal it above a fireplace. This stunning contemporary “artwork” (below), hanging above the fireplace hides the TV in a recess in the chimney breast. The recess in the wall has been covered with two bespoke fitted doors, craftily concealing the TV. Taking the concealment one step further and transforming the doors into a focal point of the room, the doors themselves have also been masked. The “artwork” seen in the above photograph is in fact high quality wallpaper, carefully chosen to reflect a contemporary scheme and papered onto the bespoke doors.

DIY CANVAS

If you have a smaller budget or want a simpler solution, hang a painted canvas over the TV. Measure up the size of the space, select a canvas to fit and tap a couple of nails into the wall above the TV. The nails can then be painted the same colour as the wall so that they don’t show. This canvas can be hung whenever the TV is not in use. Choose a print you love or buy a blank canvas and paint it yourself. In the home pictured below, we used the left over colour testers we had purchased whilst choosing the colour scheme (Wuthering Heights by Paint The Town Green) to create a simple and original piece. The artwork is quite light and easy to move and leans against the wall behind the sofa when not in use. Alternatively, if you put shelves at the height you want the painting hung, you can just add a track to pull the artwork across.

Use these tips to take a break fro screens and hide your TV when not in use. If you would like some advice on which method is best for your space, please do enlist the help of one of our buddies.

Ask us Anything

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.