Houzz Logo Print
mrymro

Advice on peculiar but great diner through to kitchen space?

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on houzz, but I really need some advice on our diner through to kitchen space.

From the sketch I did below with an app, you can see that it is a weird layout but one that provides huge potential for a beautiful space for cooking, eating and chilling out. I've added the window, sink and range cooker (our current kitchen is laid out that way). Atm, the family are in two minds whether to close off the door that is entry into the kitchen and create a U-shaped kitchen with cabinet going around the corner. Or to leave the door there, leaving enough space for entry and exit. The latter option is favoured as when it comes to hosting dinners etc it would be more practical to take food out from that door into the reception rooms, as opposed to going all the way around through the diner hall, through the archway and into the living room. So my first question is what would you do?

Just so it's even more clearer to you, I've added photos from the house for your reference (please note the house is much better now, apart from the kitchen).

Furthermore from the second picture above, we're stuck on how to layout cabinets in that space. I'm thinking to put an integrated fridge freezer, a long pantry and more cupboards with an integrated microwave in the middle. Essentially to have a small galley there. My concern is that would it look nice? Should we include a little counter top and should we have three blocks of cabinets or make it four? Any advice on this is much appreciated.

Lastly is the dining area: Our plan is to put a dining table and two armchairs facing each other by the window. What kind of dining table would you put there that allows space for traffic? Or would you design the space in a completely different way.

I am so sorry in advance if this is too long of a post, but I heard that houzz is the best platform to go to when seeking advice on such matters.

Thank you so much!

Mary