nicki_jones78

Help needed to decorate stairs and landing.

Nicki Jones
3 years ago

We recently completed a loft conversion. Once the new stairs were in I liked the look of the natural wood. Unfortunately the builders had not covered the stairs and got paint all over them. ( I realise builders are not painters!) We have since had all the banisters and skirting repainted, but don’t know what to do with the stairs themselves and landings.Ideally, I would like to stain/oil the treads and paint the risers to match the banisters, or paint them all the same colour.
We also have the problem of the first staircase, which is covered in paint from the 1950s having had a runner I would think. Help please!
So I would like advice on

1. How easy would it be to strip the stairs back to wood, then stain/,paint?
  2. How would a runner work on winding stairs and different landings?
  3. Would you recommended painting everything including floorboards, then just having rugs?

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.