clairemdew

Best fitted storage configuration for small master bedroom

clairemdew
3 years ago

We have a very small master bedroom which I have posted about in the past and recieved some great advice for. We have tried many, many storage solutions and furniture configurations and still can't get it right.

In my son's room, which is identical to ours, we have just had some fitted shelving made. We are so pleased with it and would now like something fitted in our room. We suggested to the builder that he made the same thing for us but that the plain board (which will be used as a headboard and has storage behind accessed via a sliding shelf) would be larger, and in the middle of the unit for us, to accomodate our bed, which would come down the middle of the room. We then thought we would have narrow shelving each side of this headboard and then a wardrobe going up one side instead of the shelving pictured in my son's room. The downside of this would be that we would probably have to stand on the bed to reach at least the top section of the wardrobe.

When we discussed this with the builder, he felt that we would be better to leave the bed as we currently have it, going across the room sideways, and he suggested that he build a wardrobe with drawers and then high cupboards in a run across the wall. I just can't imagine what this would look like. I am attaching a picture of our room and a link to a floor plan. We currently have our bed turned the other way round and it fits wall-wall. We also have white slatted blinds instead of curtains and low white chest of drawers to replace the grey and yellow ones. To the right of the chest of drawers we have two clothing rails, 50cm each, one above the other. I think this is where the builder is suggested the fitted wardrobe should go.

What would you advise? If you wouldn't advise building around the window as we had hoped to, what sort of configuration should I suggest to the builder? He is able to start the week after next and we are keen to get going!

Floorplan: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=54017718&sale=49195230&country=england

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.