webuser_658058340

Garden redesign help!

James Smith
3 years ago

Hello,

Any advice with my garden redesign would be greatly appreciated.

We moved into this house 10 years ago which belonged to a retired couple who spent a lot of time in the garden and it was full of high maintenance plants, a fir tree and a pond with a water feature. After having two children, now 7 and 4, and needing a more child friendly garden that is a lot more low maintenance we have decided to redesign it completely and start from scratch. I have been agonising over what to do for a long time and I am completely out of my depth with regards to planting and design. Luckily this great website has given me lots of ideas but I would love to get other peoples thoughts or advice.

The photos show a window which is North facing and the sun comes round and hits that window at around 5pm so we thought this would be a nice area for a sunken patio. The other thing we really need is a play area for our children and the patio would give us a good area to supervise them. The other thing is the the driveway slopes down about 0.5m so in my plan I have proposed a triangular planter that would retain the ground and we can use to plant things to hide the view of the car parked on the drive.

With regards to planting there are a few things in the garden such as a mountain ash tree, a large viburnum and wisteria but we really want to create quite a green, overgrown, secluded feel to the space.

Let me know what people think and and any ideas about the design or what plants to use would be greatly appreciated as this is way out of my comfort zone.

Thanks

James

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.