webuser_791666351

Can I restore this parquet flooring?

Elizabeth Smith
3 years ago

Hi, I’ve recently purchased a 1910 terrace. I hoped to sand all original floorboards downstairs, however we have discovered that the edge of the hallway, living room, and dining room is lined with what I believe is parquet flooring (approx a 400mm border of parquet). The centre of the floor is original floorboards, which I presume would have been covered with a rug? Because we are unable to have restored original floorboards as our flooring (the boards under the parquet are obviously at a lower level), I’m hoping to do something with the parquet. Is it worth restoring this parquet flooring in the living room? The pieces are VERY thin which makes me doubt its quality. It also has some form of fabric underneath it. Some pieces are missing but I could take them from the hallway, as this will be carpeted. You can see on one photo that a small part of the floor has been cut - could I fill this? I would cover the centre of the room with a large rug, as I presume was done in the past. Please excuse my ignorance, this is our first home. Examples of parquet that I’ve found online seem much thicker but I would love to restore this if I could / if it is worthwhile. I’m just looking for some advice - thank you.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.