jenworldwide

Block out and soften hard lines

jenworldwide
3 years ago

Hello green fingered ones!

I am really hoping to get some advice/opinion on what might work in my garden. Last year we did a rear extension and as part of the building work, we got rid of a very small lawn in favour of a patio garden. We also converted an existing double garage into a single garage but left the roof, giving us an ‘outdoor dining room’ that’s a covered space to use all year round.

The next mission is to try to transform the garden and the first priority is to screen the view of the neighbouring houses. At the moment it all feels very stark and overlooked and I really hope to change it.

The following ideas have been suggested so far:

1. pleached trees, think these would need to be in pots as there is no flowerbed at the rear of the garden, but I’m not at all sure if these would work/what to buy/how many
  2. something like bamboo again in pots, but my husband isn’t massively keen on it and also, worth pointing out the bbq area is at the back of the garden next to the wall where there is a light he would like to keep, so I guess bamboo would obscure the light.
  3. increasing the wall height by attaching some horizontal slatted fencing to the top of the wall, but not sure if this would all look very ‘hard’ would like to soften the look of it all somehow.

Any suggestions or input anyone can make would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Jennie

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.