webuser_50643880

Kitchen diner decor, something not quite right.

HU-50643880
3 years ago

Couple of years ago, we had a new kitchen fitted. In the process we knocked a wall down to make a kitchen diner. However, we've never been 100% on the decor.

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts / ideas?

Just something not hitting the spot. Need to keep the flooring, kitchen units/worktops and kitchen tiles... everything else is free to change:

Many thanks.

Comments (27)

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Agree with Minnie on all points really :-)

• Related Discussions

Something not quite right... But what?!!

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi. It's a very pretty room. I'd turn the table the other way and pull it out from the ŵall. I think ŷou need a couple more display shelves of different lengths so they're staggered. Maybe pop a couple of pieces of art on them. I'd pop the plant in the corner and add a couple of green cushions to the bench. Have you thought of pendant lights over the bar? Maybe something in metal? It's hard to see the kitchen but maybe bring in some more of the country elements? The clock frame also looks a little dark so would consider painting it and maybe hang it central to the radiator cabinet?
    ...See More

The kitchen-diner: how to get it right!

Q

Comments (1)
    Very nice open spaces and great article. Thanks. See some other open kitchens below. J Design Group - Miami Interior Designer 225 Malaga Ave Coral Gables, FL 33134 Ph: 305-444-4611 https://www.JDesignGroup.com
    ...See More

How to decorate/furnish this through lounge/diner?

Q

Comments (21)
    @sonia I'm leaning towards grey walls too. My bedroom is going to be goose dawn and teal tension (I think!) so I'm wondering about doing the living room in the same greytl bulk buy paint! It's a bit darker than polished pebble though. I like those pics and I have a rose gold standing lamp already... Here with my desk (grey and rose gold)
    ...See More

Kitchen diner, or kitchen, living diner?

Q

Comments (24)
    Yes we needed an RSJ and all of the walls underpinning as there were no foundations. Was very costly but definitely worth it as we live in that end of the house. I think that With having an older property, costs do just spiral. I can’t remember how much the RSJ was, sorry. i think our building work was about £25000. Can you leave the fireplace in and have it open so you can see it from both sides? Then have your kitchen and dining in the current lounge and your living area where it is at the moment but open it up apart from the firePlace? We’ve left in our old exposed stone work and cleaned it up.
    ...See More
  • HU-50643880
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wowser! Thanks for the response Minnie!

We're looking into some lighter paint for the dining room. We would like to keep the kitchen a darker tone, to make it seem separate from the dining room... would you recommend a different colour than the purple? We quite like the purple, but open to other ideas.

How about wall lighting? Perhaps above the plug sockets, next to the patio door? Just looks a little bare.... or perhaps some wall art?

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Wall colour is too dark.

• T Gray
    3 years ago

A pale fresh green would tie in with the curtains and your pictures. Go for a darker shade of the same green in the kitchen. More pictures are always a good idea, gallery wall perhaps?

• Sonia
    3 years ago

It’s a really nice room but I agree the wall colour is a bit dinghy. How do you feel about repainting it a nice fresh green, similar to your curtains, as already suggested? Doesn’t have to be an exact match just a similar tone. Dulux do a gorgeous grey green called Tranquil Dawn but it may not have the right tone so try a match pot on some card and place near the curtains. Here’s some pics. 2nd and 3rd pics show a fresher green like your curtains.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I was going to suggest Farrow and ball skimming stone although I'm wondering if that's what's on the units! You could add wall light/s, it depends on what you want to spend fixing the walls after! You can obviously get plug in wall lights, there are quite a few around atm but it depends if you like the cable on show or not.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

The wall colour is too dingy and making it feel too dark. I was going to suggest Skimming Stone to start with but Minnie beat me to it! I would start with the wall colour first and then reassess.

• HU-50643880
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Many thanks for all your responses, appreciate them! Dingy is a great way to describe the issue, I can see that now. We needed a fresh set of eyes, as we got a little lost.

We ended up buying a pot of 'Maypole White' by Crown (see image). I would of got the skimming stone, but already bought the paint before the suggestion came through :-)

We will give that a try, and if not happy, will look at buying Skimming Stone.

We will paint the diner, then re-assess the kitchen. thanks again!

• lilythepink40
    3 years ago

Much brighter wall paint needed as current colour sucks the life out of the room. A circular mirror with silver or any metal frame would be nicer on the wall to reflect light. Use colourful jugs vases toaster kettle to add pops of colour to kitchen area. Add some white framed colourful art pics on the walls they would lift it greatly. Consider pull down blinds instead of verticals. They will let in more light when not down.

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    3 years ago

How about to build a window seat in the bay window or get a comfy dining bench for that space, move the table over, change the light and hook it above the table, change the curtains to blinds in the bay window and white / off white curtains on the patio door. Put a little group of pictures above the radiator cover and some shelves above that hatch near the door on the left with some potted plant

• Emmanuelle
    3 years ago

Hanging the door the other way round would tremendously improve the flow... and the feeling of space! It would involve moving the light switch too though! To do before any painting!

• HU-50643880
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks for your responses. we've partially painted the room... will finish off tonight and send some pics tomorrow. It's feeling nice and refreshing...

There has been some mentions of moving the light, but we have a lovely rose, which we don't want to lose... we fear moving the rose will look odd, as it's currently centered bang on to the room.

decisions, decisions...

You can see new colour partially in rose photo.

• kazzh
    3 years ago

Even just seeing this small view, l can see it will make an enormous difference to your room!😯

• HU-50643880
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here's a few angles of the dining room. a lot more vibrant, thanks for your help.

Will send some images looking into the kitchen, when it's tidy :)

We are going to repaint the kitchen too, the purple paint in kitchen seems to dark now... what colour paint do you think will go well with the new dining room colour and the lavender tiles?

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Looks really good, fresh and very pretty. Really shows off the curtains too. Well done!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I would carry on with the same colour in the kitchen end.

• Wumi
    3 years ago

Looks so much brighter already! I would echo what Minnie101 said about the mirror and radiator cover. I'd go for round or something more square than the current one, with a thinner frame. I'd also do away with the radiator cover altogether. You can paint the radiator or replace with a nicer one if unsightly. If you still want to incorporate a shelf, you could get a floating ledge shelf in similar wood tone as your counter top.

• Lisa Townsend
    3 years ago

Is there a reason why you haven’t simply moved your table? You wouldn’t be able to get it under the rose, true, but I think it would help being completely away from the Rose instead of almost-but-not-quite, if that makes sense. I’d suggest moving the low storage bench that seems to be under the window and putting the table there. You might also want to think about a different table shape altogether- the round table echoes the rose, making the off-centre aspect feel even more discordant.

• HU-50643880
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update
    first coat on in kitchen, same coloured paint. Looks nice and light. sorry for bloom on photos... it's a nice day :-)

is it best to use same fabric from patio curtains for the kitchen blinds? or mix it up a little?

were also thinking of getting a faux wood beam below the lintel, to add a little contrast... what you think?

thanks again.

• kazzh
    3 years ago

New color has worked wonders but I wouldn't do anything to the beam. just live with it a little before anymore touches.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Looks fab. The kitchen end you could get a roller blind in same fabric, or white wood slatted blinds. Both would look great. Well done as I know you liked the purple/mauve walls but re-painting was the right decision. Love seeing updates!

• PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors
    3 years ago

Wow it looks so much better with that rad cover off!

• finfitgal
    3 years ago

Hi,
    Go on Instagram and look at the designer Abigail Ahern. All her work is based on ‘ layering’. So chairs shouldn’t match table, have things in threes , make vignettes to interest the eye etc it also talks about intensity of colour and painting skirting boards, ceilings etc all in one colour. I followed lots of her principles ( without buying her stuff as it’s pricey ) and transformed many of my rooms. It takes a room from ‘ flat ‘ to fab but kind of teachers you why/ how. I’ve also been able to personalise my house loads as you don’t want to end up with a show house rather than a home . So glad you painted it as my motto is ‘ banish the beige ‘ 😂

• Jojo
    3 years ago

Really nice now, the mirror could be re used, paint it same colour as walls and put at side of door going up the wall on left of door , could you buy an oblong table that fitted out from breakfast bar ?that way it would fit under the light.. looks better without radiator cover, blinds could be in a colour that picked up on your kitchen tiles, that also had some green in from the main curtains

• CWD
    3 years ago

paint the chairs the same/similar green as the curtains. either use same fabric for kitchen blinds or use same green/white combo - maybe a stripe or something - you need to repeat that green in the kitchen - adding a big white bowl of green apples would help as a starter! I think part of the problem remains that the balance of light and dark is still not right - there's too much white in the dining and not enough in the kitchen. painting the chairs would help this, bringing the green into the kitchen will also help tie the two zones together. I'd also suggest more big white accessories in the kitchen area to speak to the white table. I'd also make sure there is a tiny bit of black dotted around - picture frames for example, the sharp contrast just adds a bit of edge and takes it all up a level. but looks much better already just having it all painted lighter colour and all one colour makes it all seem like one room rather than two, so it's all going in the right direction!

• Frances Ward
    3 years ago

Hi, Its a lovely room with a garden outlook. There are some mix and match items there. The kitchen is sleek but the storage box units with basket drawers are not. Maybe have a light off white wall. Lick does a good one 05. Or maybe a light green to bring the garden inside. Not sure what colour your kitchen wall tiles are? Table is fine but could you change your chairs for not so chunky ones. The wipe clean ones which come in different colours with the splayed wooden legs to add contrast or metal legs.Add some house plants. The curtains are great.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.